Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendation letters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 16

Recommendation letters [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 11:13
Hello friends!
I am applying to HBS, Stanford, and MIT. Please, your help with this doubt related to my recommenders:
Currently, I am working at the family business because my family needed some help in the company. In this sense, I don't know whether my father (my current boss) should write a recommendation letter : s . I don't think the adcom could view that letter as objective. After all, he is my father!

Before this job, I worked in the government and in a bank with excelent results. So, I am thinking to ask a letter of recomendation to my boss in the bank. However, a friend who knows the business school world told me that it would be better the letter of my father because it is a more recent experience than my experience in the bank (7 years ago).
What do you think?
I believe that the letter of my boss in the bank would be better despite the fact that it is not a recent experience. I think they could view the letter as more objective than one written by my father.
Please, your comments. Thanks!

PS. I couldn't ask a client a letter because we work with hundreds of clients with whom we don't have a constant contact.
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Recommendation letters [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 15:38
Give the admissions a quick email and get their official line.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendation letters [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 03:22
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Hello friends!
I am applying to HBS, Stanford, and MIT. Please, your help with this doubt related to my recommenders:
Currently, I am working at the family business because my family needed some help in the company. In this sense, I don't know whether my father (my current boss) should write a recommendation letter : s . I don't think the adcom could view that letter as objective. After all, he is my father!

Before this job, I worked in the government and in a bank with excelent results. So, I am thinking to ask a letter of recomendation to my boss in the bank. However, a friend who knows the business school world told me that it would be better the letter of my father because it is a more recent experience than my experience in the bank (7 years ago).
What do you think?
I believe that the letter of my boss in the bank would be better despite the fact that it is not a recent experience. I think they could view the letter as more objective than one written by my father.
Please, your comments. Thanks!

PS. I couldn't ask a client a letter because we work with hundreds of clients with whom we don't have a constant contact.

Hey dude,
I'm not so sure that a recommendation letter from your dad would be entirely unhelpful. I mean what would your father write that they could properly evaluate???? He's your father. Sooooo far better is to get two recommendations from previous employers, and explain in an essay that you did not provide a recommendation from your current employer because your boss is your dad. They will understand.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Recommendation letters   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2013, 03:22