Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommendations from NGOs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Recommendations from NGOs [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2004, 09:29
Hello
I started my career with a newspaper (1 yr) and then moved to IT where I worked for 4 years in India. For the last one year I have been in the US and I have been doing active marketing related work for a NPO..but my work with this NPO has been on a volunteer basis. My question is whether it is a good idea get a recommendation letter from the NPO. The founder of the NPO can give me a letter. But Because i worked on a volunteer basis will the value of the recommendation be diminished? The NPO is based in India but has a US incorporated subsidiary.

My second question is whether a CEO giving you a recommendation letter adds extra value to it. This is in case the CEO does know you well enough.

Third question is related to whether it matters that your recommendor has an MBA. What if he/she does have an MBA...should he/she state this somewhere in the letter or in his/her signature. Does highlighting the recommendor's profile/education make an impact.

Thank you
Subbu
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Recommendations from NGOs [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 12:47
Expert's post
Subbu wrote:
Hello
I started my career with a newspaper (1 yr) and then moved to IT where I worked for 4 years in India. For the last one year I have been in the US and I have been doing active marketing related work for a NPO..but my work with this NPO has been on a volunteer basis. My question is whether it is a good idea get a recommendation letter from the NPO. The founder of the NPO can give me a letter. But Because i worked on a volunteer basis will the value of the recommendation be diminished? The NPO is based in India but has a US incorporated subsidiary.

My second question is whether a CEO giving you a recommendation letter adds extra value to it. This is in case the CEO does know you well enough.

Third question is related to whether it matters that your recommendor has an MBA. What if he/she does have an MBA...should he/she state this somewhere in the letter or in his/her signature. Does highlighting the recommendor's profile/education make an impact.

Thank you
Subbu

To answer your questions:

1) I have a question for you. Is your volunteer work for the NPO a full-time position or a part-time position? Is it something you do after work?

2) A CEO writing a letter of rec if the CEO knows you well may be of marginal value, but only if the CEO can write from personal experience about your qualifications for an MBA program. Do not choose title over substance.

What makes a good recommendation:

A) Specifics that support the general qualities attributed to you by your recommender.

B) A recommender who knows you well.

C) A recommender who can compare you to other MBA candidates at top schools. This is not mandatory, but it definitely adds to the value of the recommendation.

3) Closely related to my C above is the answer to your third question. If your recommender has an MBA it is evidence that that person is qualified to compare your qualifications to that of other MBAs. Now if your recommender received his or her MBA 25 years ago, as I did, that experience alone is not very beneficial in comparing you to current MBA applicants. But if your recommender regularly works with recent MBAs, as I do, then your recommender's experience is highly relevant.

For more tips on letters of recommendation, please see "The Letters of Rec Too?!?!"

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 16:36
Hello Linda
thank you very much for your reply.
regarding the NPO i work for..I work for it on a volunteer basis (i dont get paid) ..i cant really define the work as part time or full time since that depends on how much work there is and i pretty much define what I do. Guess i can say it is more or less full time.
Point is i havent been working for the last year and i decided to focus on working for a NPO ..so i volunteered to take ownership of all their marketing activities. ....I am from india and my visa status right now does not permit me to take a salaried job, this was another important reason for me going the NPO way.
S
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2004, 13:34
Expert's post
Subbu wrote:
Hello Linda
thank you very much for your reply.
regarding the NPO i work for..I work for it on a volunteer basis (i dont get paid) ..i cant really define the work as part time or full time since that depends on how much work there is and i pretty much define what I do. Guess i can say it is more or less full time.
Point is i havent been working for the last year and i decided to focus on working for a NPO ..so i volunteered to take ownership of all their marketing activities. ....I am from india and my visa status right now does not permit me to take a salaried job, this was another important reason for me going the NPO way.
S

If you have been working for the NPO for almost a year (whether paid or unpaid), it would be a good idea to have the head of the organization write a letter of rec for you. The fact that it is an NPO doesn't matter, although applying successfuly while unemployed is harder to do than when employed. Try and get the other recommendation from your previous supervisor in India.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog