Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommender playing hardball

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Recommender playing hardball [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 11:11
So here I am ready to submit for R2 and my supervisor starts playing mind games with the recommendation I politely asked him for last month. (even gave him a template and resume for extra guidance) No e-mail replies, no returned phone-calls; he even hides in the office whenever I'm around. WTF?? I swear he must be the same person that left those anonymous nasty little post-its on my desk a couple months ago.

The supervisor above him doesn't know me well enough in a professional capacity to write anything compelling.

Already have a peer in Tokyo writing the other recommendation, and another peer recently offered just to ease the anxiety. Darn, I need to come up with a backup plan fast!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 16:32
That sucks man....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 17:42
I know how you feel.

I'm in a worse position because my recommender (boss) sits right beside me and I can clearly see his computer monitor and he is clearly not busy.

The other day, I was reminding him about he letter while he was surfing the web and he says, out loud, " FU$$ man, it's Friday."

Yeah, I know.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 17:46
I really don't know what to suggest. That's just a terrible situation. If you try to make him write the rec, it will probably be half-hearted. If you don't get the rec from him it won't look good - especially if you can't get another supervisor from your current job. I'm going to think about this some and see if I can help with a creative solution.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 17:52
Can you write one and get him to sign it? take him out for dinner and buy him drinks ;)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 18:06
homefry wrote:
I know how you feel.

I'm in a worse position because my recommender (boss) sits right beside me and I can clearly see his computer monitor and he is clearly not busy.

The other day, I was reminding him about he letter while he was surfing the web and he says, out loud, " FU$$ man, it's Friday."

Yeah, I know.

Holy sh*T that would piss me off. Jeez, some people. You know, man, once you get into your school of choice, don't feel obligated to give him anything more than 2 weeks. I know its being vindicative, but man.

GMATT73, maybe you could write it as willget800 suggested? Or, I know some consulting firms will interview the recommender and write a rec for them. (Accepted.com does it I think)
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 23:45
batchgmat wrote:
homefry wrote:
I know how you feel.

Yeah, I know.

Holy sh*T that would piss me off. Jeez, some people. You know, man, once you get into your school of choice, don't feel obligated to give him anything more than 2 weeks. I know its being vindicative, but man.

GMATT73, maybe you could write it as willget800 suggested? Or, I know some consulting firms will interview the recommender and write a rec for them. (Accepted.com does it I think)

I've seriously considered that option. It could have disasterous repercussions though if the adcoms notice any parallel lines of reasoning or similiarities in grammatical structure. Pretty sure they are savvy to picking out those clues these days. I also considered the client option, but all of the schools I am applying to require an immediate supervisor's recommendation.

In my industry, 99.8% of my colleagues work as translators, interpreters, and corporate trainers or instructors reporting to one Kansai regional manager --Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto. He is unfortunately the ONLY boss who is familiar with my work on a professional level, and since most of my work is done autonomously, our relationship is perfunctory at best.

It's like he's relishing his position of power to decide the fate of my future. #*@#!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 16:45
Just write it yourself. The adcomms are not mindreaders. Writing two might be different.

But writing one won't be bad.

GMATT73 wrote:
batchgmat wrote:
homefry wrote:
I know how you feel.

Yeah, I know.

I've seriously considered that option. It could have disasterous repercussions though if the adcoms notice any parallel lines of reasoning or similiarities in grammatical structure. Pretty sure they are savvy to picking out those clues these days. I also considered the client option, but all of the schools I am applying to require an immediate supervisor's recommendation.

In my industry, 99.8% of my colleagues work as translators, interpreters, and corporate trainers or instructors reporting to one Kansai regional manager --Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto. He is unfortunately the ONLY boss who is familiar with my work on a professional level, and since most of my work is done autonomously, our relationship is perfunctory at best.

It's like he's relishing his position of power to decide the fate of my future. #*@#!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 17:45
do you have a relative with distinct writing style?
  [#permalink] 19 Dec 2006, 17:45