Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

recommender with gmail address

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
recommender with gmail address [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 22:13
hi guys

am faced with a predicament

first up I change my job in May, my new employers don't know my B-School plans (shock horror)......and hence am not even asking my present boss for a recco. Its only been four odd months in any case.

Of my two supervisors in my previous firm, as of yesterday, one worked there, and the other had joined a competitor firm as an AVP. So I thought I had my bases covered. But the avp dude suddenly decided to chuck it all up an become a baker/chef/whatever. So now he does not have an official email address. Ever heard of anyone submitting a gmail address for a recommender??

What do I do......please help
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 23:25
wouldnt matter.. b-schools are not gonna look at email addresses
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 23:27
aviroop wrote:
wouldnt matter.. b-schools are not gonna look at email addresses

but they do see what emails the rec forms are being sent to...and gmails dont have the credibility of a company email. i think its only a problem if they think your app seems fishy to begin with.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 01:21
That should not be a problem. Because supervisors themselves have concerns some times. They might not want the senior management to know that they recommended their subordinates to top-schools (helped quit their organizations). And official ids reveal this info. IT department guys have access to all official mails.

I am sure schools appreciate such concerns.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 02:23
aurobindo wrote:
That should not be a problem. Because supervisors themselves have concerns some times. They might not want the senior management to know that they recommended their subordinates to top-schools (helped quit their organizations). And official ids reveal this info. IT department guys have access to all official mails.

I am sure schools appreciate such concerns.

you guys think I should ask the ad com officers abt this when I meet them??
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 11:30
sangoman,

You can ask, but honestly I don't think it should matter. A rec is a rec, and if schools want to contact a recommender then they can.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 18:22
shmegs wrote:
sangoman,

You can ask, but honestly I don't think it should matter. A rec is a rec, and if schools want to contact a recommender then they can.

I seem to remember that they are more likely to contact a recommender if s/he has a generic email, but who cares? You're legit, so don't worry. It's really not a big deal.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 18:32
I know both my recommendations are going to be from generic email addresses. Where I work our email is strictly for business, its all tracked due to the nature of what we do as is internet use.

Since recommendations are most likely done on personal time I doubt schools care about the email address. As long as your boss doesn't have something very inappropriate for an address. You can always ask to give yourself piece of mind...I know its a lot to ask for anyone to give a recommendation so I am not going to complain if they want to do it from an AOL account.

My application is going through a gmail account, my wife is the only person outside of my work that actually knows my work email address.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 13:38
I'll add one more opinion that email isn't going to matter. Both my recommenders preferred the forms to be sent to their home email addresses instead of their company emails. So I have a yahoo and a comcast account, respectively.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 12:18
sorry junta,

did not follow the golden rule of being nice.

Thank you all for your opinions........most of you got it right - the crrect answer is that it just dosent matter - an that is the bottom line cause Thomas Caleel said so.

(bonus marks for whoever said that its cause they take other contact info from the recommender)

Thanks again ;)
  [#permalink] 06 Sep 2007, 12:18