Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recommenders?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Recommenders? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 09:58
Hi guys,

Wanted some advice on which recommenders to choose.
I've been working at my current firm for a year and a half but I don't think I can ask any of my managers to write my recommendation and I'd like to keep the application a secret at work, hence, I'm trying to get creative. Do you think the following people would be good recommenders?

1. Debate Coach
Last semester in college (2011), I joined the NYU debate team. The coach and I had a great relationship, he asked me to come back and coach the beginners after I graduated. Debate required a lot of travel so I couldn't do it for more than a semester, after which, he offered me the position of TA at NYU's debate class. I did start teaching with him (about 2 classes) when administration said I couldn't have two jobs on my current visa so I had to stop. Since then, I haven't been involved in debate, but he asks me to come judge tournaments once in a while. We still have a great relationship and he could write me a good recommendation but I'm concerned my direct involvement isn't recent enough. (?)

2. Client
He used to work at the company I am at right now but he moved over to the client side and I now work with him as a client. My only concern is would news somehow seep from him to my management who I am not imforming of my MBA plans

3. Co-worker
He worked in the same company as me at my previous job and my current job. It was due to his reference that I got my current job, but he left the company a few months in. My concerns are it's been about a year that we have not been working together and he was not working with me as a manager but as a co-worker.

4. Old Manager
I could reach out to two of my old managers - but it has been a year and a half since I left that company
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Recommenders? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 11:14
Hi,

It seems you are in a difficult situation.
I agree that you shouldn't use your debate coach for the same reasons you specified.

I'm wondering: How old you are? How long were you at your previous employer? Why applying for an MBA wouldn't be supported by anyone at your current employer? By the time you begin the MBA (Sept. 2015) you will have been there for at least 2.5 years - so it isn't like they onboarded you and then you took off. Are you worried that if you don't get into school you will have damaged your reputation/possibility for advancement?

You really need to find someone who you currently work with (either a co-worker or superior) who will vouch for you. Ideally that would be your current line manager. The next best options might be your client and/or previous boss.

Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Recommenders? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 19:06
fxmbaconsulting wrote:
Hi,

It seems you are in a difficult situation.
I agree that you shouldn't use your debate coach for the same reasons you specified.

I'm wondering: How old you are? How long were you at your previous employer? Why applying for an MBA wouldn't be supported by anyone at your current employer? By the time you begin the MBA (Sept. 2015) you will have been there for at least 2.5 years - so it isn't like they onboarded you and then you took off. Are you worried that if you don't get into school you will have damaged your reputation/possibility for advancement?

You really need to find someone who you currently work with (either a co-worker or superior) who will vouch for you. Ideally that would be your current line manager. The next best options might be your client and/or previous boss.

Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com

Hi Leah,

I'm 24, graduated in 2011, was at my previous employer for 1.5 years, current employer since last April.
I have really nice managers, I think I'm just concerned that between now and then I might not get put onto larger long term projects because they know I am thinking on leaving. I don't think they would lay me off because of this, but I am concerned they might decrease my responsibilities. I just got promoted to a supervisor position and don't want to jeopardize that. Not sure if I'm overreacting or being too cautious and hurting myself in the process.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Recommenders? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 14:32
Hi - Thanks for your reply.

Here is your timeline as I understand it:
    Graduated in 2011 from NYU
    September 2011 - March 2013 1st job (1.5 years)
    April 2013 - Present 2nd job with recent promotion (approx. 1.5 years in September 2014)

The thing is that the adcom is looking for at least one recommender who has a certain amount of experience and who is ready to go on the record and vouch for your professional performance (and more importantly your potential) as it stands right now (not so much 1.5 years ago). The adcom needs someone to judge your current work style, values, strengths and weaknesses - and although your client or former colleague may be able to do some of that - only your boss can really give you a completely thorough recco. If I were in your shoes - wouldn't feel very comfortable applying to top 10 schools without a recco from my boss.

But let's go back. You said you are 24 now and that you just got a promotion (with more managerial responsibility). Without having seen your resume or knowing anything about the schools you are targeting or your GMAT...my honest advice would be to wait one more year and then apply.

You will have 1 year+ of experience in your managerial role and more exposure to those big projects you mentioned (that will make for some great essay topics as well as material when you start interviewing for internships/jobs).

You already have a great relationship with your boss and one year from now I'd assume you would be in a much better position to ask for the recco.

If you wait a year you would be about 26 going in and 28 coming out - the ideal age as far as recruiting goes.

If you want to email or PM me your resume and keep discussing feel free.

Best,
Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com
Re: Recommenders?   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 14:32