Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recruiting process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Recruiting process [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 07:21
Does anyone have a clear picture of what is a typical recriting process like at most business schools?

From what I understand, begining of an academic year, companies come and present. This is your opportunity to meet representatives of companies you may want to work for. Get their contact infor and send them your resume and hopefully get invited to an interview?

And career centers job is tp help you with your resume&interview skills and to bring companies to compus?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 07:43
Schools have different systems and most are more complicated than what you describe. The elite schools in particular often require employers to grant interviews to folks that the employers don't get to hand select. At Kellogg for example: If Bain or McKinsey want to interview 30 specific people, then they also have to interview 30 additional people who are selected through the school's bidding process and are not hand selected by the employer. The bidding process is similar to the bidding process for classes, where you have a certain number of points you can use. I imagine these processes are outlined on each school's career site, but all in all its much more facilitated than just giving you resume feedback and interview prep. I guess the benefit of going to a top school is that career services can really dictate to employers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 08:14
Thanks dukes, I must admit that the whole bidding process (for classes and interviews) is a big turn-off for me. I guess there is an adventage to going to a smaller school...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 1551 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 09:34
The bidding process is great. It means you can secure an interview with companies that you might not normally manage to pull off. I had this at an undergraduate level, and I got my job by bidding.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 09:40
really? that is an interesting perspective I did not consider...
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 11:47
I also went through this type of recruitment in my co-op program. It's a fairly intricate system and the main purpose is to fill as many internships as possible.

Without it, all the top companies would compete for the same top students and the overall placement rate would be much lower.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 15:58
fluffydot wrote:
Without it, all the top companies would compete for the same top students and the overall placement rate would be much lower.

kinda like how all the top b-school admissions compete for the same top students.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 16:43
I'll comment on the two I know something about.... Kellogg and GSB.

They are basically identical programs.

Fall Quarter first year, you go to a ton of presentations, dinners, events, etc, you try and impress and woo and make them take note of you. You bust your butt going all over the place and you become a suit warrior.

Winter Quarter first year, you submit your resumes. They select a handful of candidates to be interviewed. If they dont select you, you bid with points to get a slot. If you bid enough, you get a slot. If you don't, you don't. You interview. You do a second round. You might do a third round. You get an internship, you relax.

Fall Quarter Second year - you have an offer from your internship. It expires waaay before you can interview with anyone else. You have to make a decision. If you dont accept, you basically start the same process again, but with less (from what I hear) schmoozin going on in Fall Quarter, and more interviews actually taking place.

Winter Quarter Second year - Keep interviewing. Field offers.

Spring Quarter Second Year - panic if you dont have something by now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 16:47
EconGirl wrote:
really? that is an interesting perspective I did not consider...

Yup. It matters more as an undergrad where GPA can keep you out of an interview. My GPA didn't meet my companies "minimums" but I got the job anyway.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 17:13
Quote:
It expires waaay before you can interview with anyone else. You have to make a decision.

Is this always the case? That sort of sucks if you're on the fence. Given that summer internships are almost tougher to land than the real jobs, I wonder how many folks end up actually staying with the company they interned for.[/quote]
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 17:24
The big banks hire almost all of their full-time people from their summer classes. If you want to get to a bank, you need to land an internship that first year.

I believe that, comparatively, consulting firms hire a lot more 2nd year students that didn't intern with them.

But in any case, you'll definitely have to decide before you're able to interview again on campus.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 17:53
Then what's the purpose of these "declining bonuses" I've been reading about?

http://hr.blr.com/display.cfm/id/19250
  [#permalink] 12 Jan 2007, 17:53