Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 63

Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 07:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (02:21) correct 51% (01:27) wrong based on 152 sessions
Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as well as animals. A group of psychologists carried out an experiment which confirms the subconscious effects of this color on human behavior. They provided selected sports teams at school and college level with either red or blue shorts and recorded the outcome of the games. The teams wearing red won in a disproportionate number of matches. The psychologists suggested that either the teams wearing red subconsciously felt themselves more powerful, or that the non-red teams were subconsciously intimidated by the red color.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the psychologists’ suggestion?

(A) Each team wore red in some matches and blue in others.

(B) The color blue has the subconscious effect of making human beings less competitive.

(C) The effect was only observed if all the team members wore white shirts.

(D) Red signifies danger in some cultures whereas it signifies happiness in others.

(E) In a subsequent study, teams with all-red outfits were more likely to report that they thought they would win no matter what color the opponents wore.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by nelz007 on 12 Nov 2012, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 32

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
nelz007 wrote:
Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as well as animals. A group of psychologists carried out an experiment which confirms the subconscious effects of this color on human behavior. They provided selected sports teams at school and college level with either red or blue shorts and recorded the outcome of the games. The teams wearing red won in a disproportionate number of matches. The psychologists suggested that either the teams wearing red subconsciously felt themselves more powerful, or that the non-red teams were subconsciously intimidated by the red color.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the psychologists’ suggestion?

(B) The color blue has the subconscious effect of making human beings less competitive.

(D) Red signifies danger in some cultures whereas it signifies happiness in others.

(E) In a subsequent study, teams with all-red outfits were more likely to report that they thought they would win no matter what color the opponents wore.

IMO B.

Conclusion - Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as well as animals
The only support for this hypothesis is drawn is from experiments conducted by the psychologists
so the correct answer choice will mostly find fault with the experiment.

OK so ? this doesn't affect our argument in any way.

This weakens. Now if team blue felt inferior than the team Red, then the Reds won not because of the effects of red color but because blue color affected the opponents. Its like paying tennis with net down.

thought the observed results are valid only wen the teams wore white, the conclusion that "red is more powerful" is not weakened

Out of scope

Strengthen the argument saying the REDs felt more powerful.

What the OA dude?

Cheers
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 267 [1] , given: 67

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
I picked C can someone explain this question. I don't understand why B is the correct choice.

Hi
I would like to help you with this;-

There are two effects described by the study of teams wearing either red or blue color jersey.
Either
1st effect:-

Winner feeling subconsciously more powerful

Or

2nd effect

Loser feeling less powerful subconsciously.

Now option C states desired result may be achieved only if white shirt is worn.....its an open ended statement full of flaws such as it does not answers which color jersey team will wear white shirt.
Also which effect will be more overpowering if white shirt is worn.
i mean it may be that the team in blue jersey may feel more down in morale and may lose the game...this is also helping in achieving the effect described in the study mentioned in the argument.

-----------------------------------------------------
If my post helped pls give kudos
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 07:41
.......Just making a guess on this....think correct would be the option (C) as this weakens the suggestion that teams are winning of their RED shorts.

Please Expalin...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 63

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 08:26
The answer is B great explanation jp27 kudos + 1
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 543

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 07:02
I picked C can someone explain this question. I don't understand why B is the correct choice.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 543

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 18:49
Archit143 wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Hi
I would like to help you with this;-

There are two effects described by the study of teams wearing either red or blue color jersey.
Either
1st effect:-

Winner feeling subconsciously more powerful

Or

2nd effect

Loser feeling less powerful subconsciously.

Now option C states desired result may be achieved only if white shirt is worn.....its an open ended statement full of flaws such as it does not answers which color jersey team will wear white shirt.
Also which effect will be more overpowering if white shirt is worn.
i mean it may be that the team in blue jersey may feel more down in morale and may lose the game...this is also helping in achieving the effect described in the study mentioned in the argument.

-----------------------------------------------------
If my post helped pls give kudos

Thanks for the reply! it was helpful.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 09:02
nelz007 wrote:

But the passage talks about non-red teams, we can't assume that non red = blue. Why would we care about the color blue? What if there are no teams that wear blue outfits?

For me this is clearly out of scope. Its actually a trap. Since answer choice mentions something about the color blue, then answer choice B repeats something similar. But we miss the whole point. We should focus on what's written on the stimulus, not use any info given in another answer choice

For me D is the OA

Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 11:44
jlgdr wrote:

But the passage talks about non-red teams, we can't assume that non red = blue. Why would we care about the color blue? What if there are no teams that wear blue outfits?

For me this is clearly out of scope. Its actually a trap. Since answer choice mentions something about the color blue, then answer choice B repeats something similar. But we miss the whole point. We should focus on what's written on the stimulus, not use any info given in another answer choice

For me D is the OA

Cheers
J

I don't think that's correct because because of deductive reasoning.
Here is the conditional statement:
1) If Red -> then feel more powerful
2) If feel more powerful -> then win
3) if red -> then win

Any claim that changes the conditional statement weakens the argument, and answer B reverses the logic.

Stimulus
Red -> then feel more powerful OR if not more powerful -> then not red (blue)

The answer choice reverses the logic
If blue -> then team itself not powerful.

Thus, if blue feels less powerful by virtue of wearing blue, then the scientists hypothesis is weakened. It is in fact blue that makes teams lose, not seeing red on the other team.
IMO B

Additionally, we can use premises not in the stimulus whenever the stem has "which of the following, if true."

Do you find my reasoning to be valid?

Regards,
Aa

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Re: Red is a color which has powerful effects on human beings as   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 11:44