Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Red-light cameras, originally implemented in an attempt at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Red-light cameras, originally implemented in an attempt at [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:06) correct 50% (02:11) wrong based on 14 sessions
Red-light cameras, originally implemented in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause rear-end accidents.

1) in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause

2) while attempting to increase safety at intersections, have had a precisely opposite effect: drivers, who are afraid of expensive citations, often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, thus causing

3) in attempting to increase safety in intersections, have precisely had the opposite effect: drivers fear expensive citations, approach camera-equipped intersections, often brake suddenly, and cause

4) as attempts to increase intersections' safety, are precisely the opposite: afraid of expensive citations, drivers approach camera-equipped intersections and brake suddenly, thus causing

5) in an attempt to increase safety at intersections, have had precisely the opposite effect: fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
In the OA E, what follows after colon is not a complete sentence.. I know that what follows colon is used to describe what precedes it.
So my question is if it doesn't matter for what follows a colon to have a clause with a subject and a verb..

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red-light cameras, originally implemented[u] in an attempt a [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 03:48
I posted this Question in the general forum..
mods please move this to SC forum.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Red-light cameras, originally implemented[u] in an attempt a [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin9 wrote:
Red-light cameras, originally implemented in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause rear-end accidents.

in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause

while attempting to increase safety at intersections, have had a precisely opposite effect: drivers, who are afraid of expensive citations, often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, thus causing

in attempting to increase safety in intersections, have precisely had the opposite effect: drivers fear expensive citations, approach camera-equipped intersections, often brake suddenly, and cause

as attempts to increase intersections' safety, are precisely the opposite: afraid of expensive citations, drivers approach camera-equipped intersections and brake suddenly, thus causing

in an attempt to increase safety at intersections, have had precisely the opposite effect: fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing

[Reveal] Spoiler:
In the OA E, what follows after colon is not a complete sentence.. I know that what follows colon is used to describe what precedes it.
So my question is if it doesn't matter for what follows a colon to have a clause with a subject and a verb..

Fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing rear-end accidents.

Why is this not a complete sentence ? Subject: drivers ; Verb: brake.. yes?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 273

Kudos [?]: 2320 [1] , given: 693

Re: Red-light cameras, originally implemented in an attempt a [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:

1) in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause

2) while attempting to increase safety at intersections, have had a precisely opposite effect: drivers, who are afraid of expensive citations, often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, thus causing

3) in attempting to increase safety in intersections, have precisely had the opposite effect: drivers fear expensive citations, approach camera-equipped intersections, often brake suddenly, and cause

4) as attempts to increase intersections' safety, are precisely the opposite: afraid of expensive citations, drivers approach camera-equipped intersections and brake suddenly, thus causing

5) in an attempt to increase safety at intersections, have had precisely the opposite effect: fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing

[Reveal] Spoiler:

no because the phrase is an incidental phrase that often modifies what there is before the colon.

As such, only seeing what is in red and in bold you can achive the right answer in something about 20 seconds

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red-light cameras, originally implemented[u] in an attempt a [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 18:35
jumsumtak wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

in an attempt at increasing the safety of intersections, have been precisely the opposite: drivers are afraid of expensive citations and often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, so they cause

while attempting to increase safety at intersections, have had a precisely opposite effect: drivers, who are afraid of expensive citations, often brake suddenly as they approach camera-equipped intersections, thus causing

in attempting to increase safety in intersections, have precisely had the opposite effect: drivers fear expensive citations, approach camera-equipped intersections, often brake suddenly, and cause

as attempts to increase intersections' safety, are precisely the opposite: afraid of expensive citations, drivers approach camera-equipped intersections and brake suddenly, thus causing

in an attempt to increase safety at intersections, have had precisely the opposite effect: fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Fearing expensive citations, drivers approaching camera-equipped intersections often brake suddenly, causing rear-end accidents.

Why is this not a complete sentence ? Subject: drivers ; Verb: brake.. yes?

u r right.. brake is indeed teh verb.. missed seeing that.. hope I don't commit such a horrendous mistake on my GMAT.

Re: Red-light cameras, originally implemented[u] in an attempt a   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2013, 18:35