Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Redo GMAT or apply to b-schools first?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Redo GMAT or apply to b-schools first? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 13:37
Hey guys - I'd greatly appreciate your invaluable advice on my dilemma.

I took the GMATs for the first time late August 09 (3 weeks ago), and got a terrible 520 (ouch!) I want to apply for September 2010 entry to Bschools and don't know if I should re-take the GMAT first, or submit my application in, minus the GMAT and take the GMAT after....

Talking to the admissions people - they don't process your application as complete if you haven't submitted your GMAT score (even if you submit your application), but, the pro of submitting the application first is that it takes time to solicit reference letters (lots of back and forth), so I figure I could start on that first, get all that done and then study 1 month for the GMAT and retake it. (I will be happy with a 620 to be honest).

The con is that it'll have been more than 2 months that I haven't touched the GMAT studying... which means I may have to start from square one ... unless, I make it a point to start slowing studying some things now, and keeping in touch with GMAT problems?

In summary, my timeline looks like this... PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS a REASONABLE TIMELINE and/or if I should retake first, do app later b/c in this scenerio, I'm doing app first and retaking later....

September 15 - October 15: Finish all Bschool applications and send them in first
October 15 - November 26: Study for GMATs
Nov 27 - retake GMAT and submit this score to my schools of choice on test day itself.

Would appreciate advice from all you savy and experienced folks!

Thanks a bunch :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Redo GMAT or apply to b-schools first? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 14:07
Hi celestia,

That all depends on what the schools your targeting "expect" for a GMAT score.

If you are applying to competitive programs, a 520 might not get you on the table for consideration.

If you apply, use the 520 and take the GMAT later, you'll deny yourself the ability to apply to those schools with your potentially better GMAT score. If you're accepted, you're all set. If you're dinged, then you might have to wait a year.

Most people here will say there is no shame in applying in round 2 (if your target schools do rounds), or if your school has rollng admission to apply closer to the deadline.

If you feel you can do better, my advice is work on the GMAT again and knock it out early November. You could use your time now to work on applications, and then finalize the apps after finishing the GMAT (as opposed to rushing through apps now and then rushing to prep again).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Redo GMAT or apply to b-schools first?   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2009, 14:07