Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reducing speed limits neither saves lives nor protects the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reducing speed limits neither saves lives nor protects the [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 10:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:36) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
Reducing speed limits neither saves lives nor protects the environment. This is
because the more slowly a car is driven, the more time it spends on the road spewing exhaust into the air and running the risk of colliding with other vehicles.

The argument’s reasoning is flawed because the argument

(A) neglects the fact that some motorists completely ignore speed limits.
(B) Ignore the possibility of benefits from lowering speed limits other than environmental and safety benefits.
(C) Fails to consider that if speed limits are reduced, increased driving times will increase the number of cars on the road at any given time.
(D) Presumes, without providing justification, that total emissions for a given automobile trip are determined primarily by the amount of time the trip takes
(E) Presumes, without providing justification, that drivers run a significant risk of collision only if they spend a lot of time on the road.
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 10:58
bigtreezl wrote:
because the more slowly a car is driven, the more time it spends on the road spewing exhaust into the air and running the risk of colliding with other vehicles.

(B) Ignore the possibility of benefits from lowering speed limits other than environmental and safety benefits.
(C) Fails to consider that if speed limits are reduced, increased driving times will increase the number of cars on the road at any given time.
(D) Presumes, without providing justification, that total emissions for a given automobile trip are determined primarily by the amount of time the trip takes
(E) Presumes, without providing justification, that drivers run a significant risk of collision only if they spend a lot of time on the road.

I was between D & E for a more than a minute. I ended up choosing E because D goes a bit too far in saying primarily and spewing exhaust is equated to total emissions of an automobile trip. Both of them are very attractive. I felt D is the trap. What is the OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 21:42
bigtreezl wrote:

Between D and E,initially felt D is good !!but if we give a closer look!!
we get that in D they are saying total emissions determined by total time !!in argument we are not bothered about amount od emissioins !
it just says when the autobiles spend more time on road they emit gases !!
E i felt bad since the use of ONLY :but when D loses ,E is fine !!
IMO E

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 00:00
E
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 01:05
bigtreezl wrote:

I picked D initially :( but after reading the explanations of Priya and icandy I believe E is right.

I fell in the clever trap :cry:

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 01:12
My ans is E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 01:28
Initially, I picked E, but I will go with D for the reason that E mentions "significant risk" and stimulus does not say that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 07:34
i will go for D

E exaggerates the stimulus
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 07:47
I too feel E is more appropriate. Whats the QA ?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 07:50
Hmm We have quite a division here

I colored the problematic parts and ruled out D based on the extraneous information it brings in.

Stimulus says the more slowly a car is driven, the more time it spends on the road spewing exhaust into the air and running the risk of colliding with other vehicles

I believe we can safely say that if drivers spend more time on road then they have risk of collision. Cars by themselves dont spend time on the road.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 08:58
OA is D
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 09:13
bigtreezl wrote:
OA is D

Can you please post the explanation the Q offers? I seriously find D more distracting than E.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 09:21
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
OA is D

Can you please post the explanation the Q offers? I seriously find D more distracting than E.

This is from section IV of the 10/2002 official LSAT. Unfortunately I dont have the explanation.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 09:29
bigtreezl wrote:
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
OA is D

This is from section IV of the 10/2002 official LSAT. Unfortunately I dont have the explanation.

Wow! If LSAT says so, I don't have any more Q's. other than Just sucking it up
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Speed Limits [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 13:06
hahaha :eat

Here's a partial explanation:
11-t42786

bigtreezl wrote:
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
OA is D

Wow! If LSAT says so, I don't have any more Q's. other than Just sucking it up
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 36

Re: Reducing speed limits neither saves lives nor protects the [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2012, 22:18
I selected E, but find D to be a better Option.

I think explanation given in the other discussion regarding the wrong use of 'only' in E option makes it a wrong answer choice.

If you think you are lost, you are.

Re: Reducing speed limits neither saves lives nor protects the   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2012, 22:18