Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 12

Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:45) correct 30% (01:44) wrong based on 157 sessions
Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of serotonin molecules from the presynaptic cell to receptors on the postsynaptic cell has been identified as a successful treatment for clinical depression for many individuals. A new series of drugs, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, prevent the presynaptic cell from re-uptaking serotonin, thereby allowing normal amounts of serotonin to reach the receptors on the postsynaptic cell.

Which of the following can be correctly inferred from the above statements?

If too much serotonin is released to the receptors, a person will feel extremely euphoric.
Taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is currently the only successful treatment for clinical depression.
Individuals who have normal levels of serotonin uptake do not run the risk of suffering from depression.
By not taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, individuals with depression run the risk of depleting their serotonin levels.
Taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors reduces the incidence of depression in some people.

Any suggestions on how to approach such questions. I was not able to make much out of this, so just made a informed guess (chose E :-D ) and moved on.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 17:57
I think its D. The argument is unnecessarily designed as difficult to comprehend. I just read the last line which saya the new drug gives normal supply. So from that I inferred that the old one was either giving more or less, well, not normal! So D looks best to me!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 18:03
This post received
KUDOS
I also picked E.

Since it is an inference question, the stated inference must be true without the need of an assumption. Looking at the choices, choices B and C look exaggerated, A looks out of scope as it talks about Euphoria. D talks about the scenario when Inhibitors are not taken.

So you are left with E. It is a mild statement (usage of word some) and hence correct choice.

Crick
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 880 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 18:03
Chetangupta wrote:
Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the passage of serotonin molecules from the presynaptic cell to receptors on the postsynaptic cell has been identified as a successful treatment for clinical depression for many individuals. A new series of drugs, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, prevent the presynaptic cell from re-uptaking serotonin, thereby allowing normal amounts of serotonin to reach the receptors on the postsynaptic cell.

Slowing down the process of serotonin reduction can treat depression. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors slows down the process and helps treat depression.

If too much serotonin is released to the receptors, a person will feel extremely euphoric.
>No relation between serotonin and being euphoric is mentioned. We just don't know this info from the passage.

Taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is currently the only successful treatment for clinical depression.
>This is one of the successful treatments. Not the ONLY treatment.

Individuals who have normal levels of serotonin uptake do not run the risk of suffering from depression.
>Serotonin is curative, not preventive.

By not taking a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, individuals with depression run the risk of depleting their serotonin levels.
>Well well well!!! Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor is just one way to help regulate the serotonin deficit, it is not the ONLY inhibitor with such functionality.

Taking Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors reduces the incidence of depression in some people.
>For sure. Some people(safe word). Inhibitors-Curative. Proven good to treat depression.

Any suggestions on how to approach such questions. I was not able to make much out of this, so just made a informed guess (chose E :-D ) and moved on.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 11:10
I also picked E.
option A is out of scope.
option B used there was only drug. we dont know this is only one drug.
we cannot infer option c from the argument
option D too extreme.
argument used for "many people" reducing serotin deficit is a successful treatment. option E used "some people" who take the drug is effective in reducing the clinical depression. so we can infer option E from the argument.

answer is E
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 03:06
+1 E

Easy one, except for the tricky vocabulary.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 02:12
+1 for E
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 22:07
1+ for E :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 00:32
+1 for E.

Classical example of GMAT drawing correlation between "Some" and "Many" :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 05:58
Chetangupta wrote:

Wow wow wow!!! Such a time consuming one. It took me 2 mins to understand why depression is caused and how the new drug treats depression.

Let's do this inference question by POE -
(A) It is not mentioned in argument. Out of scope.
(B) There may other treatments available. Incorrect.
(C) Close one, but a bit extreme.
(D) Same as (C), a bit extreme.
(E) Not-extreme and yes, few people will be relieved on depression.

(E) wins.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR inference [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 09:31
the verbiage made the ques look difficult...

E is the answer...reasons well explained above.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 22:11
E it is.If you take the medicine depression will reduce.Use of word some is to misguide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 291

Re: Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 20:11
I too picked D but on re reading found that it is too extreme. One OF the things that GMAT verbal makes u learn is modesty :p
Re: Reducing the serotonin deficit caused by a breakdown in the   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2013, 20:11