Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Refering a current student in the essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Refering a current student in the essay [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 10:59
Would you guys mention the name of a current student from a school who told you about a club but he has nothing to do with that club?

I basically had a conversation about some things I am interested in doing at club at one of the schools, and the student tried to connect me with the actual VP of that club but I think the VP is a bit too busy to respond to my questions... after sending her emails lke 2 times... but the current student told me that it was possible to find the things I am looking at one of the clubs, but he is not part of that club.... I want to use our conversation and mention his name too, not sure :( what do you guys think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 13:23
just say the student mentioned the club to you and told you a little bit about what the club does...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2007, 13:41
I would mention it, you don't have to say whether they are in the club or not. If time permits, I would look up that club on the school's website, find the email address of one of the members (preferably the prez) and email them. You will get first-hand info, plus you can mention them in your essay.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 02:32
Do it. It will take you a step above most of the applicants. It will show the school that you have done research and you are serious. I agree with previous poster regarding writing to a club member.It will highlight you in a very positive way.
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 02:53
trahul4 wrote:
Do it. It will take you a step above most of the applicants.

You really think so? Most of the people I know applying to B-school are dropping student and alumni names in their essays. I personally think dropping names won't add anything to the essay (to make it stand out from the others), but without it, your essay would be weaker.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 03:18
Thanks guys! I have made it seemed very generic and I have included the student's name because he was the one who gave me the tour and he is one of the VPs on the Student Govt. He actually tried to connect me with someone who could have helped, and I emailed that person like two times, but they never responded to me:( But oh well, i am still going to use the guy's name who gave me the tour because I agree that it shows that I made an effort:) And if I do get lucky for an interview and get asked this question, I can always spin it around that hte person gave me the information and said that I can get more help once I arrive at the school:)
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:34
KingKREEP wrote:
trahul4 wrote:

You really think so? Most of the people I know applying to B-school are dropping student and alumni names in their essays. I personally think dropping names won't add anything to the essay (to make it stand out from the others), but without it, your essay would be weaker.

Dropping names for the sake of dropping makes no sense watsoever. You have to show what you gained from the conversation. And to really separate urself from others, show how the club will affect ur future or make b-school more endearing to u.

Ex.

I met with Angeline Jolie and talked to her - no purpose solved

I met with Angelina Jolie, the chairwoman of the hot lips club. We talked how hot lips brings about diversity and fashion intelligence in GSB Hollywood.I was amazed to know how the members of the club work together to determine the correct techniques to make pouty lips and lissome poses. - purpose solved

disclaimer
(I am positive there is nothing as Hot Lips club, but if sufficient interest is generated, will open one if admitted to b-school)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 09:53
aviroop wrote:
KingKREEP wrote:
trahul4 wrote:

Dropping names for the sake of dropping makes no sense watsoever. You have to show what you gained from the conversation. And to really separate urself from others, show how the club will affect ur future or make b-school more endearing to u.

Ex.

I met with Angeline Jolie and talked to her - no purpose solved

I met with Angelina Jolie, the chairwoman of the hot lips club. We talked how hot lips brings about diversity and fashion intelligence in GSB Hollywood.I was amazed to know how the members of the club work together to determine the correct techniques to make pouty lips and lissome poses. - purpose solved

disclaimer
(I am positive there is nothing as Hot Lips club, but if sufficient interest is generated, will open one if admitted to b-school)

haha nice;) I like that.... yup I have mentioned that the person introduced me to the club and I have said why it interests me etc etc....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 10:10
aviroop wrote:

disclaimer

Oh Avi... you made me LOL at work! :lol:

but yes, definitely talk about how talking to that person made you want to apply to the school more, or helped you understand how the school's programs/clubs can help you.
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2007, 10:10