Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 10:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:04) correct 65% (01:11) wrong based on 150 sessions
49. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

A. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

C. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, in the 1960s the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Source: Brutal SC
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 16

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:42
This post received
KUDOS
according to me answer should be D

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s ---> as a modifier describes when the novel reached the peak of its sales
while

when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat---> refers to period of cold war
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 06:56
mansoorfarooqui wrote:

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s ---> as a modifier describes when the novel reached the peak of its sales
while

when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat---> refers to period of cold war

yes i agree...answer should be D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 09:47
I was stuck between B and E. My logic is that "sales of novel" and "novel" can both be a result from the tensions of war. So both B and E can be correct. Is my understanding correct?

On further reflection i felt that regarded as is a correct idiom. So E

Regarded as is the correct idiom
A – Comparsion of USSR and Constant threat. Wrong. Eliminate.
B – regarded as is correct usage. Eliminate
C – In the 1960s is modified by the first part of the sentence. Eliminate
D – When most Americans needs to modify 1960s. Eliminate
E – Sales is modified by the first part of the sentence. We want to clearly state that sales is a result of the tensions of war. "Regarded as" is correct idiom Keep
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:20
B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Oh y E here?
I went with B.

The spy novel modified by "regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War"
also

The spy novel ,regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

dont u guys think is this correct?

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 11:21
my basis was "regarded as" is a correct idiom. So B fails!

shanmugamgsn wrote:

Oh y E here?
I went with B.

The spy novel modified by "regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War"
also

The spy novel ,regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 00:09
So u mean regarded by is wrong idiom?

ketanth wrote:

shanmugamgsn wrote:

Oh y E here?
I went with B.

also

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 00:50
shanmugamgsn wrote:

ketanth wrote:

shanmugamgsn wrote:

Oh y E here?
I went with B.

also

Note - that "by analysts" exists in both B and E after "regarded". "by analysts" is just a prepositional phrase. They key is to check the word after this phrase. There you can see the difference of "as" vs "to"

Hope it helps!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
shanmugamgsn wrote:

ketanth wrote:

shanmugamgsn wrote:

Oh y E here?
I went with B.

also

Yes it is wrong. Correct one is regarded as
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 00:17
mansoorfarooqui wrote:

while

What is wrong with (E). , the modifier is used to modify "Sales"

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 03:12
Straight E
1)Modifier : "Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War" clearly modifies the correct noun "Sales"
2) When modifies 1960s
3) Usage of as is better than the usage of to be and like

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 16

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E confuses the timing of events
here it seems that most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat in 1960 while it was the time when sales peaked out.. actual time of perceived that was during the cold war which was prior to 1960.. which we perceive by the use of ''as the result of tensions during the Cold War''

Best Regards,
Mansoor

PS: Please consider kudos if you found it useful
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 300

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 07:50
mansoorfarooqui wrote:
Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E confuses the timing of events
here it seems that most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat in 1960 while it was the time when sales peaked out.. actual time of perceived that was during the cold war which was prior to 1960.. which we perceive by the use of ''as the result of tensions during the Cold War''

Best Regards,
Mansoor

PS: Please consider kudos if you found it useful

I too agree answer should be D on this one

Could anyone please clarify the OA?

Cheers!
J
SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 14:33
Can someone confirm on D vs. E?

I'm having a hard time swallowing E as the OA.

Please advice
Cheers!
J :)
SVP
SVP

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2014, 06:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GIVE THE FREAKING OA FOR THIS ONE PLEASE

Cheers!
J :)
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2014, 06:42