Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2009, 20:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (01:30) correct 38% (01:00) wrong based on 64 sessions
49. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

A. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

C. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, in the 1960s the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

OA is E - I cant reason why D is incorrect.

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat. the novel itself could be a a result of the tensions during the cold war. Eventhough it is less likely than the sales of the novel going up because of the war - one cannot eliminate this possibility
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:31
Answer D is grammatically correct, but it doesn't conform to the meaning in the original sentence. Answer choice E remedies the incorrect grammar in A and keeps its meaning whereas answer D has a different meaning.
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 99 [5] , given: 37

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 19:33
This post received
KUDOS
"when" should modify the time 1960s, not "cold war" ,hence D is wrong. also note that D is in passive voice

E is right because

"regarded as" is correct idiom
when correctly modifies time

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD - dinged; IE-admit; ISB - admit; IIMB-admit; SPJain- admit; IIM C- Admit, IIM A - Dinged after interview. Finally joining IIM B
WE 1: 3
WE 2: 2
WE 3: 2
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 01:25
IMO B
E cant be correct: regarded....the sales of nove reched ...
it seems sales were regrded by the experts...not the novel

ASHISH DONGRE
BE KIND & GENEROUS TO SHARE THE KUDOS...THE MORE YOUR GIVE THE MORE YOU GET

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD - dinged; IE-admit; ISB - admit; IIMB-admit; SPJain- admit; IIM C- Admit, IIM A - Dinged after interview. Finally joining IIM B
WE 1: 3
WE 2: 2
WE 3: 2
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 01:36
This post received
KUDOS
IMO B
E cant be correct: regarded....the sales of nove reched ...
it seems sales were regrded by the experts...not the novel

ASHISH DONGRE
BE KIND & GENEROUS TO SHARE THE KUDOS...THE MORE YOUR GIVE THE MORE YOU GET

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 04:45
Got to be E.

In B, regarded.. to be is unidiomatic.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 6

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 06:10
other than "regarded to be" which is unidiomatic what else is incorrect in option (A)?

Can someone comment on this portion....when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:20
tarun wrote:
Got to be E.

Still not convinced with E , their sales ...( can books be referred as sales ) .. I know the OA is E only but still I reckon B is correct..please explain it again ..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 01:34
I think the author of the sentence is trying to convey the following -- "What is regarded as a result of tensions?" The answer is "Sales of the book". Hence E is the clear winner.

gauravnagpal wrote:
tarun wrote:
Got to be E.

Still not convinced with E , their sales ...( can books be referred as sales ) .. I know the OA is E only but still I reckon B is correct..please explain it again ..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 30

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 06:31
IMO 'E'

"regarded as" is correct idiom and unlike 'D', result of tension of war is the sales and not the spy novel itself.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 3

Re: Brutal SC#49 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Odd why someone didnot mention this already. So am going to put this explanation out there, hope the experts can comment on this assessment.....

"Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War" >> This subordinate clause is really talking about "sales" or in other words is modifying "sales" - not "the spy novel". hence this clause must be next to "sales". E is the only option that corrects this.

Am I wrong in my assessment?
If not and you like this assessment then +1kudos pls

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 04:54
Regarded as is correct IDIOM.... past partciple modifer in E correctly modifies the sale....hence E

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 05:41
Ans -E,

Option D is incorrect as "spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions" seems to indicate that the Spy Novel was a result of tensions.
Option E clearly refers that the result of tesion was the Sales increase.

Besides this Option A,B are filtered out due to use of "Regarding to be" which is unidiomatic. The correct form is "Regarded as"
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 02:57
Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

A. Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

B. The spy novel, regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. to be a constant threat.

C. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, in the 1960s the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

D. Reaching the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

E. Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. as a constant threat.

Can someone please explain why D is incorrect as I am not able to figure out any grammatical mistake in that
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 342

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 02:06
veenu08 wrote:
Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the Cold War, the spy novel reached the zenith of its sales in the 1960s, when most Americans perceived the U.S.S.R. like a constant threat.

Can someone please explain why D is incorrect as I am not able to figure out any grammatical mistake in that

the spy novel was regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War ... this part incorrectly conveys that the spy novel was a result of the war, whereas actually the sales were a result of the war.
Regarded by analysts as the result of tensions during the Cold War, sales of the spy novel reached their zenith in the 1960s,
This statement correctly modifies everything correctly

Hope it helps! and if it does, press the kudos button please :)

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 99

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 19:51
I have studied during my GMAT PREPARATION that as should be followed by a clause .One exception is that if it performs a function then need not be followed by a clause .
But in option E as is used in initial part of sentence without a clause is that correct usage pls explain

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 00:58
Seeing the tensions during the cold war the novel was written about that, can't that be the scenario.. I am still not able to rule out option D :cry:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:29
veenu08 wrote:
Seeing the tensions during the cold war the novel was written about that, can't that be the scenario.. I am still not able to rule out option D :cry:

I agree with ankurgupta's explanation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 11:00
I agree with phoenix 72. I think its E on the basis of meaning.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 04:51
veenu08 wrote:

The real issue is what "when" in option D modifying. As I know when can be used as subordinator or as relative pronoun modifier. In option D "when" is used as relative pronoun modifier. As a rule when can not modify cold war. when can only modify time. Hence option D is incorrect.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Re: Regarded by analysts to be the result of tensions during the   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2013, 04:51