Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 03:32
Hi Guys ,

I have admits of the MBA programs of the RSM as well as HEC Montreal.

Please help me comparing both these programs.
My main concerns are job prospects and investment in the MBA.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 04:07
I would say RSM simply because it's a well known school in Europe. Seeing how Europe functions now, it certainly has a higher ROI given that you would be in a situation to work almost anywhere in the EU if you speak the local language. As for HEC Montreal, it's relatively unknown outside of Quebec, why HEC montreal when there are more famous ones in Ontario? The class profile for HEC wouldn't be as diverse as RSM too.

RSM....you win Europe. HEC Montreal.....you win only Quebec and maybe Canada.

Also if you don't speak French, that part of town where HEC is located will be very foreign and sometimes can be hostile to anglophones.......All programs in HEC are in french except for the MBA, so be prepared to study in a very French environment. As for student life and the students themselves, we can only hope that because they are in a B-school, their outlook on issues are international, especially on language; atypical from the narrow mindedness of PQ separatists.
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 17:25
If I'm not mistaken, HEC in Montreal itself is predominantly French.

And remember, it's Quebec French, so if French is not your first language and you didn't take a Canadian immersion program, it could turn into a hurdle on top of the curriculum.
Intern
Intern

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 19:04
The MBA program is in English. Everything else is in French.
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 19:42
Well, in Canadian terms, HEC seems in the "tier 2" category with UofA and Concordia.

I didn't know if it was in English, which is kinda weird since UdeM is VERY patriotically- Quebecois.
Intern
Intern

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 02:52
True. But it's an MBA program. Who would do an MBA in French when English is THE language?Which international will wanna do an MBA in French? Even HEC Paris runs the MBA program in English. I guess money is more important than national pride.
Intern
Intern
Schools: McGill, HEC, Concordia

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 08:32
I know a lot of people at HEC and have never really had any "hostile" encounters with people due to someone being English. It'll definitely help you if you speak French though, in order to integrate with the crowd. But there are a number of primarily English speaking people that attend the school, they just usually speak both at least to a certain extent. It's predominantly French though. I've walked around the campus and interacted with people wearing my JMSB Concordia gear and have had no issues. Many of them will also speak English to you. There are a lot of smart and fun people there. I'm very seriously looking into their joint Law/MBA degree. But I grew up in Montreal and have spoken French from a young age.

Overall, for Canada and Quebec I'd say that it's a good option as far as an MBA goes. I'm not familiar with their international reach however.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 07:10
Anybody who says HEC or even UdeM is patriotic/quebecois is simply tragically misinformed. UQAM is where the super pro-Quebec people go, and it is very common for separatists to hate on UdeM and more particularly on HEC, which is seen as elitist, pro-Canada. The school actually often embodies the opposite of the more typical quebecquer values: it is international, everyone needs to pass an English test before obtaining their degree, it is generally far from being left wing (all of UofM is actually not very left-wing compared to other unis).
The neighbourhood of Côte des Neiges is perhaps the most multicultural in Montreal nowadays. That being said, the majority of the school is francophone, but there are some anglophones, many allophones, and absolutely no bad attitudes towards anglophones!
Re: Regarding HEC Montreal and RSM(Erasmus, netherlands)   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2011, 07:10