Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 )

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 21:29
Hi Friends ,

I took GMAT exam on Sep 2 .

I was so confident that i will score above 700 but i scored only 610 :'(

Q-49
V-25
OA-610

I am totally dejected . I didn't manage the time properly and that is where i went wrong.

I know this is not a score for my potential. I am planning to retake by oct mid but i am scared of R1 deadlines.

So please suggest me how should i proceed further so that it will be helpful for me .

Please help whether this score is enough to get admission in top 30 - 50 b schools .

I have two yrs of work experience in IT industry.

I am planning for Sep 2014 fall intake..

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Wharton '16, CBS '16
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
I personally think it would be better to focus on having a good gmat and doing good essays for R2 !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 16:25
Hello Sathiyanarayanan

While 610 is not a bad score, I dont think it will be competitive enough to apply at the top 20 schools in the US. Do not despair. This score may be borderline competitive for the top 30-50 schools too. These things happen all the time. The solution to this is simple. Get back into the grind and do the GMAT again to get a much more competitive score. The Indian-Engineer bucket is uber competitive and almost every one I know from this demographic tends to have high scores. Again, GMAT is just one part of the application process and your essays, recos, undergrad scores etc will all matter. I know it is hard, but it is doable. I scored a 640 in my initial GMAT and then re-did it 4 months later and scored 720. I decided I could do better and didnt want to slot myself into a top 30-50 school but a top 5. I got accepted to Chicago Booth and the Kellogg school of management afterward and matriculated at Kellogg. So dont worry or get depressed and try again. It is possible and you can definitely do it.

Regards
A
Intern
Intern

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:00
Hi,

some schools accept also votes from 600 BUT your score should be a well-balanced one. Your score doesn't seem to be very balanced because your quantative score is much higher than verbal score.

Maybe you should consider retaking the test focusing more on verbal section.

BR
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:25
arvindk09 wrote:
Hello Sathiyanarayanan

While 610 is not a bad score, I dont think it will be competitive enough to apply at the top 20 schools in the US. Do not despair. This score may be borderline competitive for the top 30-50 schools too. These things happen all the time. The solution to this is simple. Get back into the grind and do the GMAT again to get a much more competitive score. The Indian-Engineer bucket is uber competitive and almost every one I know from this demographic tends to have high scores. Again, GMAT is just one part of the application process and your essays, recos, undergrad scores etc will all matter. I know it is hard, but it is doable. I scored a 640 in my initial GMAT and then re-did it 4 months later and scored 720. I decided I could do better and didnt want to slot myself into a top 30-50 school but a top 5. I got accepted to Chicago Booth and the Kellogg school of management afterward and matriculated at Kellogg. So dont worry or get depressed and try again. It is possible and you can definitely do it.

Regards
A

Thank you so much for your inspiring words :) I am worried about deadlines and i heard there will be too much competition during R2. Anyway i will retake it again .
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 16:14
Expert's post
If I may interject - with 2 years of work experience, is there a reason you're applying this year? You aren't coming from an accelerated career path so your work experience is definitely on the lighter side.

Firstly, definitely retake the GMAT. That is just something you need to do. If you don't get the score you want the second time around, try again a third time.

Realistically speaking, you have at least another year or two, if not three, before you're in a position to have a really strong application. Unless, of course, you have a really compelling reason to apply now?

Bhavik

Bhavik Trivedi
Managing Partner, Founder

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.95

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 01:32
Hello Friend,

Don't be upset. Reappearing for GMAT is your right decision, I am appreciating you for this. But this time you need to take coaching for getting good marks. Here i have a list of some good coaching institutes.May be this list would be very beneficial for your future:

Career Launcher
VistaMind
T.I.M.E., Andheri
Career Forum, Dadar
MS Learning Resources, Andheri
Career Launcher, T. Nagar
VistaMind, Chennai

All the Best
Intern
Intern

Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 14:56
Hey Guys,

GMAT Club has been amazing for me, helping me with preparation and with a lot of information to help me out during this time. So thank you for this amazing hub

Down to business, I have a question and I was hoping the people on this site (with a lot of valid advice) could help me out....

So I studied for the GMAT and gave it on 27th June. Didn't go well at all and I realized it wouldn't a couple of days before the actual test when I did the tests that come with the GMAC prep software. I got a 610 in this attempt (q45 v28) and knew without a doubt that the GMAT had to be done again, with a focus on improving my verbal score.

So I studied again for a couple of months and felt I had it all in place this time. Gave the GMAT today but the test experience didn't go well at all (maybe the day was built up way too high in my mind and the prospect of finally getting the score I wanted was too much to handle). I struggled with time on each of the 4 parts of the test and wasn't able to pull it together. By the time I was on the verbal section I knew this wasn't going well and I was waiting to just finish asap. Well, I got me a 650 (q49 v30) and am actually grateful that my score didn't drop/wasn't worse than this.

I'm now wondering about a few things:

-how do colleges view 2 vs 3 attempts?
-after the effort I've put in, do you think a better test experience could give me a 700+?
-is a 610 to 650 over 2 attempts a better sight than a 610 to 650 to say 680 in 3 attempts when it comes to evaluation of a profile?
-is my split between quant and verbal a disadvantage/potential to create a problem?

I'm looking to apply to ISB, NUS, NTU and M(Melbourne, not Manchester)BS

I've done my undergrad in business management (in India) and have a masters in advertising and marketing from University of Leeds. I've also got 4 years of work experience this February (little under 2 years in offline advertising with DraftFCB and little over 2 years in sales with Google, where I recently got promoted, all in India)

I've also got some teaching experience at my college and have a bunch of extra curricular stuff (which I think is quite impressive) from my college days

And I'm 27 years old in Jan

ISB's average work ex is 5 years and average GMAT score is 710, so I'm guessing it will be difficult to get an interview there

MBS, NUS, and NTU all have average GMAT scores between 650 and 670 and average student ages at 22-28 (MBS) or 29 (NTU and NUS)

What do you guys think of my chances of admission or at least landing an interview at these 3 schools? Also, should I think about giving the GMAT again? I know general rule states that if the schools you're looking at have an average GMAT score 50+ points above your score then its a good idea to retake.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 )   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2013, 14:56