Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Regarding my GMAT score ( 610 ) [#permalink]
Hello Sathiyanarayanan

While 610 is not a bad score, I dont think it will be competitive enough to apply at the top 20 schools in the US. Do not despair. This score may be borderline competitive for the top 30-50 schools too. These things happen all the time. The solution to this is simple. Get back into the grind and do the GMAT again to get a much more competitive score. The Indian-Engineer bucket is uber competitive and almost every one I know from this demographic tends to have high scores. Again, GMAT is just one part of the application process and your essays, recos, undergrad scores etc will all matter. I know it is hard, but it is doable. I scored a 640 in my initial GMAT and then re-did it 4 months later and scored 720. I decided I could do better and didnt want to slot myself into a top 30-50 school but a top 5. I got accepted to Chicago Booth and the Kellogg school of management afterward and matriculated at Kellogg. So dont worry or get depressed and try again. It is possible and you can definitely do it.

Regards
A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
arvindk09 wrote:
Hello Sathiyanarayanan

While 610 is not a bad score, I dont think it will be competitive enough to apply at the top 20 schools in the US. Do not despair. This score may be borderline competitive for the top 30-50 schools too. These things happen all the time. The solution to this is simple. Get back into the grind and do the GMAT again to get a much more competitive score. The Indian-Engineer bucket is uber competitive and almost every one I know from this demographic tends to have high scores. Again, GMAT is just one part of the application process and your essays, recos, undergrad scores etc will all matter. I know it is hard, but it is doable. I scored a 640 in my initial GMAT and then re-did it 4 months later and scored 720. I decided I could do better and didnt want to slot myself into a top 30-50 school but a top 5. I got accepted to Chicago Booth and the Kellogg school of management afterward and matriculated at Kellogg. So dont worry or get depressed and try again. It is possible and you can definitely do it.

Regards
A

Thank you so much for your inspiring words :) I am worried about deadlines and i heard there will be too much competition during R2. Anyway i will retake it again .
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
If I may interject - with 2 years of work experience, is there a reason you're applying this year? You aren't coming from an accelerated career path so your work experience is definitely on the lighter side.

Firstly, definitely retake the GMAT. That is just something you need to do. If you don't get the score you want the second time around, try again a third time.

Realistically speaking, you have at least another year or two, if not three, before you're in a position to have a really strong application. Unless, of course, you have a really compelling reason to apply now?

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hello Friend,

Don't be upset. Reappearing for GMAT is your right decision, I am appreciating you for this. But this time you need to take coaching for getting good marks. Here i have a list of some good coaching institutes.May be this list would be very beneficial for your future:

Career Launcher
VistaMind
T.I.M.E., Andheri
Career Forum, Dadar
MS Learning Resources, Andheri
Career Launcher, T. Nagar
VistaMind, Chennai

All the Best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys,

GMAT Club has been amazing for me, helping me with preparation and with a lot of information to help me out during this time. So thank you for this amazing hub

Down to business, I have a question and I was hoping the people on this site (with a lot of valid advice) could help me out....

So I studied for the GMAT and gave it on 27th June. Didn't go well at all and I realized it wouldn't a couple of days before the actual test when I did the tests that come with the GMAC prep software. I got a 610 in this attempt (q45 v28) and knew without a doubt that the GMAT had to be done again, with a focus on improving my verbal score.

So I studied again for a couple of months and felt I had it all in place this time. Gave the GMAT today but the test experience didn't go well at all (maybe the day was built up way too high in my mind and the prospect of finally getting the score I wanted was too much to handle). I struggled with time on each of the 4 parts of the test and wasn't able to pull it together. By the time I was on the verbal section I knew this wasn't going well and I was waiting to just finish asap. Well, I got me a 650 (q49 v30) and am actually grateful that my score didn't drop/wasn't worse than this.

I'm now wondering about a few things:

-how do colleges view 2 vs 3 attempts?
-after the effort I've put in, do you think a better test experience could give me a 700+?
-is a 610 to 650 over 2 attempts a better sight than a 610 to 650 to say 680 in 3 attempts when it comes to evaluation of a profile?
-is my split between quant and verbal a disadvantage/potential to create a problem?

I'm looking to apply to ISB, NUS, NTU and M(Melbourne, not Manchester)BS

I've done my undergrad in business management (in India) and have a masters in advertising and marketing from University of Leeds. I've also got 4 years of work experience this February (little under 2 years in offline advertising with DraftFCB and little over 2 years in sales with Google, where I recently got promoted, all in India)

I've also got some teaching experience at my college and have a bunch of extra curricular stuff (which I think is quite impressive) from my college days

And I'm 27 years old in Jan

ISB's average work ex is 5 years and average GMAT score is 710, so I'm guessing it will be difficult to get an interview there

MBS, NUS, and NTU all have average GMAT scores between 650 and 670 and average student ages at 22-28 (MBS) or 29 (NTU and NUS)

What do you guys think of my chances of admission or at least landing an interview at these 3 schools? Also, should I think about giving the GMAT again? I know general rule states that if the schools you're looking at have an average GMAT score 50+ points above your score then its a good idea to retake.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I took my second GMAT, and could only score 610.

Q-47
V-28
OA-610

I was able to manage my time properly but I really screwed my verbal section.
I am highly dishearten, but I do not plan it give it again.

I know this is not an admirable score, but I would still like to know if I do stand any chances for MBA programs from colleges like Kelley, Fisher, Smeal, Scheller, Illinoi, Wisconsin or other colleges ranked from 30 to 50 in the US.

I am currently in India and have 4 years of work experience in Consulting, Business Analytics and Risk Advisory Services.
I have worked with a top Bank and with a top Consulting firm as well.
I also have people management experience in my portfolio.
I am Computer Science engineering from a Mediocre college in India (GPA=3.5)
I am planning for the 2015 fall intake.

I would highly appreciate if anyone could please suggest the changes that I have here and how shall I proceed further.

Regards,
Rj
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
DreamerRj wrote:
Hi Guys,

Q-47
V-28
OA-610

Rj

Hi there,

My experience of working with applicants points me to the fact that a lot of Indians who apply to the b-schools you have mentioned above, score well on GMAT. Say about 680+. In this scenario, your GMAT score will be considered as low by these schools. Re-visit your list and include some b-schools where you have more realistic chances of admission.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
DreamerRj wrote:
Hi Guys,

Q-47
V-28
OA-610

Rj

Hi there,

My experience of working with applicants points me to the fact that a lot of Indians who apply to the b-schools you have mentioned above, score well on GMAT. Say about 680+. In this scenario, your GMAT score will be considered as low by these schools. Re-visit your list and include some b-schools where you have more realistic chances of admission.

Thanks Namita, wanted to confirm with you one more thing, till what range of gmat score colleges do I stand a chance here.
Would it be ok if I target colleges till 650 Gmat score ?

Regards,
Rj
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
DreamerRj wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
DreamerRj wrote:
Hi Guys,

Q-47
V-28
OA-610

Rj

Hi there,

Thanks Namita, wanted to confirm with you one more thing, till what range of gmat score colleges do I stand a chance here.
Would it be ok if I target colleges till 650 Gmat score ?

Regards,
Rj

It depends upon the strength of the rest of your application. Your GMAT score is one data point for the adcom, although it is a very important one. Your work experiences sound like you have done well for yourself. Present that nicely and apply wisely. In general, I agree that targeting schools which have average GMAT scores upto 650 will be more fruitful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone... I just appeared for my GMAT exam for the second time and I have scored 610 (v-31 and quant-44 and ir-6). I will not be able to appear for another round of gmat due to some constraints. But I would really appreciate if someone could advise me on the colleges I could apply to with this score... thanks in advance..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Your scores will be available to you within five to 20 days. In most cases, the scores will be available within five to seven days, but we may need up to 20 days to fully process your request, as we would if you accepted your scores on test day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all.

I'd like to know if I stand a decent chance for the following schools in order of preference -
1) NUS/ NTU
2) ISB
3) HKUST
4) Michigan Ross
5) Safety school - AIM

Profile -
GMAT 670 (48Q and 34V). 7 on IR.
Education - 10th - 94%, 12th - 92%, BCom, Chartered Accountant (cleared all exams in the first attempt).

Experience - 3.5 years with a big 4 consulting company as part of my CA articleship in audit + 2 years in M&A in another big 4 consulting Company. Worked on quite a few international deals in my 2nd job.
Of the total workex mentioned above, only 4 years will be counted (from my graduation date).

Activities - Leader of CSR club at my company, volunteer at a local NGO to teach at weekends and had also volunteered for 2 months full time after my graduation. Won medals and awards for academic achievements at high school level.

Is it worth giving a shot for the schools mentioned above? Please let me know if Im being realistic here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys
Just gave GMAT and got a score of 610. I have been getting 700 on the mock.
I did my undergrad in marine engineering from BITS PILANI with gpa of 9.06/10.
I have total 5 years experience ( 3 YEARS in marine field and 2 years of running my ngo and company) I am 30 years old.
I want to retake GMAT don't have enough time right now, as the second round is closing, and i don't want to waste another year.
Can somebody please advise

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
shishir200186 wrote:
Hi guys
Just gave GMAT and got a score of 610. I have been getting 700 on the mock.
I did my undergrad in marine engineering from BITS PILANI with gpa of 9.06/10.
I have total 5 years experience ( 3 YEARS in marine field and 2 years of running my ngo and company) I am 30 years old.
I want to retake GMAT don't have enough time right now, as the second round is closing, and i don't want to waste another year.
Can somebody please advise

Hi Shishir,

Which colleges are you talking about? Are you eyeing the Indian B-schools?

Second round will only start in January for most American b-schools
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am eyeing elite b schools from us such as tuck ,duke.I have booked for a new test (scheduled on 29th nov.). I have a question though. During my test there was another 50 year old guy taking the test,sitting next to me. He was reading each question loudly,and that really distracted me. What can be done in such scenarios( if this ever happens again).

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi shishir200186,

With a November 29th Test Date, you have about 17 days of study time remaining. Unfortunately, raising your GMAT score 90+ points in that time will be difficult. As such, you might want to push back your Test Date - the extra study time could be quite beneficial. Before I can offer you the specific advice about your studies that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Most Testing Centers will offer Test Takers a noise-canceling option (either ear-plugs or head-phones, but usually not both). You should ask about it at the front desk when you take your next Exam.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have been constantly getting 700 for last 4 tests i took on gmat prep software provided by GMAC , so iam pretty sure i should get around the same score if i can win over exam anxiety and distractions.
I have used manhattan gmat prep for my basic prep.
I would be really thankful if could help me in overcoming this gap in scores , one that i get during practice and another i got during the exam

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2