Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -25 [3] , given: 1

Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 21:52
3
This post received
KUDOS
Dear all

Needed some suggestions for the following.

I had taken GMAT on 1st Nov and scored paltry 680 (considering i am an Indian). Planning to retake GMAT on 6th Dec and targetting 730ish time time. The 3 b schools i.e. Stanford, wharton, and chicago have their R2 deadlines between 3-9 jan 2012 (i.e. about 30 odd days from the GMAT). Now assuming that i score 730ish which im confident , i am not sure if 1 month of time is enough to apply to 3 top b schools where the competition is already intense. in terms of app. prep, i have just done up with my resume and have started scouting for LORs and transcripts.
Do you think post GMAT, 1 month of application time i should reserve ONLY for 1 of these 3 colleges to have a good shot this season and NOT attempt to apply to all 3 of them and hence cramming my efforts in 1 month thereby diluting my application for all 3 ?

My Profile:

Undergraduation - among top 3 students
Graduation - Top 20 college in india ; 1st rank in the college
Post-grad MBA from a top 10 b school in india - Allrounder award
Work experience -
1. Big credit rating agency in india (2 yrs)
2. Associate at a domestic PE firm (1.5 yrs)
3. Software consulting at a global IT major (1 yrs)

Other activities - decent activities at school and college level
Currently teach CFA at a leading firm (part-time)
Some charity work in the past though not very active presently

Planning to remain in the same industry but want to target international PE firms which surely need better exposure and a good international b school education in india

Regards
Rohit
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 02:41
In a similar situation excpt I havent taken the GMAT and want to before R2. If you can do good applications then have another ago. Else leave it and apply with a 680. Should be good enough for chicago

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 07:53
rohitmbond wrote:
Dear all

Needed some suggestions for the following.

I had taken GMAT on 1st Nov and scored paltry 680 (considering i am an Indian). Planning to retake GMAT on 6th Dec and targetting 730ish time time. The 3 b schools i.e. Stanford, wharton, and chicago have their R2 deadlines between 3-9 jan 2012 (i.e. about 30 odd days from the GMAT). Now assuming that i score 730ish which im confident , i am not sure if 1 month of time is enough to apply to 3 top b schools where the competition is already intense. in terms of app. prep, i have just done up with my resume and have started scouting for LORs and transcripts.
Do you think post GMAT, 1 month of application time i should reserve ONLY for 1 of these 3 colleges to have a good shot this season and NOT attempt to apply to all 3 of them and hence cramming my efforts in 1 month thereby diluting my application for all 3 ?

My Profile:

Undergraduation - among top 3 students
Graduation - Top 20 college in india ; 1st rank in the college
Post-grad MBA from a top 10 b school in india - Allrounder award
Work experience -
1. Big credit rating agency in india (2 yrs)
2. Associate at a domestic PE firm (1.5 yrs)
3. Software consulting at a global IT major (1 yrs)

Other activities - decent activities at school and college level
Currently teach CFA at a leading firm (part-time)
Some charity work in the past though not very active presently

Planning to remain in the same industry but want to target international PE firms which surely need better exposure and a good international b school education in india

Regards
Rohit



SO you already have an MBA?

Most Schools do not allow you to get a second MBA... so before putting yourself through this process, if you haven't yet, I'd ask adcom prior to starting apps.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 10:13
gmat3000 wrote:
In a similar situation excpt I havent taken the GMAT and want to before R2. If you can do good applications then have another ago. Else leave it and apply with a 680. Should be good enough for chicago

Posted from my mobile device Image

Chicago's average GMAT score is 720. The OP's current score is 40 points below the mean and he's from an over represented pool. Unless there is something extraordinary in his profile I'm doubting a Chicago admit. No matter where the OP applies I recommend a retake.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 28
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 13:07
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Chicago's average GMAT score is 720. The OP's current score is 40 points below the mean and he's from an over represented pool. Unless there is something extraordinary in his profile I'm doubting a Chicago admit. No matter where the OP applies I recommend a retake.


You're more clued up on this then I am. So OP I suggest you follow this advice.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 15:57
gmat3000 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Chicago's average GMAT score is 720. The OP's current score is 40 points below the mean and he's from an over represented pool. Unless there is something extraordinary in his profile I'm doubting a Chicago admit. No matter where the OP applies I recommend a retake.


You're more clued up on this then I am. So OP I suggest you follow this advice.



I still think the most important part of the OP was lost... He already has an MBA... Do any of the schools he's listed allow a second MBA?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 11
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -25 [1] , given: 1

Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 23:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks all for the advices. Any more suggestions are still welcome.
Regarding whether schools take a second MBA or not, well have many of my acquaintances who have double MBA from columbia, chicago, insead, kelloggs and wharton (exceptional case). Not sure about stanford, havent managed to find someone in my network
So have put in a mailer to the adcom at stanford, havent recieved any replies yet

Rgds
Rohit
Re: Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2012, 23:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines rohitmbond 1 03 Nov 2012, 21:49
4 Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines rohitmbond 0 03 Nov 2012, 21:48
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines rohitmbond 1 03 Nov 2012, 21:48
4 Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines rohitmbond 0 03 Nov 2012, 21:43
Gmat and R2 deadline FN 17 20 Dec 2008, 18:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Regarding Retake GMAT with 1 month time for R2 deadlines

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.