Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 200
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 18:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:53) correct 33% (00:31) wrong based on 9 sessions
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney.

A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

C) Ever since 1788, non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 19:57
RyanDe680 wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney.

A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

C) Ever since 1788, non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.


C, D, E are wrong. the expression from when here does not make sense.
when is modifying the time or 1788.
B is wrong because has does not agree with the plural objects.
So, A is the correct answer here.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:00
Oh boy !!! an SC talking about aussies and boomerangs .. I gotta get this one :):) (+1 for posting this)

I think the answer is A although even A has an error of the dangling modifier.


RyanDe680 wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Australians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney. <-- that when is a dead giveaway that the date MUST precede it. This eliminates CDE and since B is obviously wrong, the answer is A.


A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Australians ever since 1788, <-- incorrect dangling modifier usage BUT I think this is the answer.

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Australians ever since 1788, <-- SV error

C) Ever since 1788, non-Australians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Australians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Australians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:07
bsd_lover wrote:
Oh boy !!! an SC talking about aussies and boomerangs .. I gotta get this one :):) (+1 for posting this)

I think the answer is A although even A has an error of the dangling modifier.


RyanDe680 wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Australians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney. <-- that when is a dead giveaway that the date MUST precede it. This eliminates CDE and since B is obviously wrong, the answer is A.


A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Australians ever since 1788, <-- incorrect dangling modifier usage BUT I think this is the answer.

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Australians ever since 1788, <-- SV error

C) Ever since 1788, non-Australians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Australians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Australians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.


I see nothing wrong with A, "aerodynamically" modifies correctly "enhanced"
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:12
Regardless of their form or function, <what goes here?>

Generally speaking dangling modifiers such as above must be followed by a proper noun. But here everything else was totally incorrect.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 797
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:30
bsd_lover wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, <what goes here?>

Generally speaking dangling modifiers such as above must be followed by a proper noun. But here everything else was totally incorrect.


i think the phrase "aerodynamically enhanced" acts as an adjective

substitute into the sentence: Regardless of their form or function, all black and blue objects made for throwing
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 09 May 2008, 20:36
Yeah, I understand that they are adjectives, but are adjectives allowed straight after a dangling modifier ?

gmatnub wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, <what goes here?>

Generally speaking dangling modifiers such as above must be followed by a proper noun. But here everything else was totally incorrect.


i think the phrase "aerodynamically enhanced" acts as an adjective

substitute into the sentence: Regardless of their form or function, all black and blue objects made for throwing
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 07:00
RyanDe680 wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney.

A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

C) Ever since 1788, non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.


A is my pick.
"From" doesn't makes sense when you are dealing with time, unless you have "to" as a companion. For example:
I worked from 1995 to 1997. (correct)
I worked from 1995. (incorrect).
"have" is correct because of plural.

Here is the sentence breakdown:
Regardless of their form or function,
(SUBJECT) all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing
(VERB) have been called
boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 133
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 17:11
C, D and E can be eliminated -> the second modifying clause "when europeans saw.. " should modify 1788 and should be next to it. When is a noun modifier.

RyanDe680 wrote:
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788, when Europeans saw Dharug-speaking men tossing "bumariny" in the area later known as Sydney.

A) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing have been called boomerangs by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

B) Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians ever since 1788,

C) Ever since 1788, non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs, regardless of their form or function, from

D) Ever since 1788, any aerodynamically enhanced, curved object made for throwing has been called a boomerang by non-Austrailians, regardless of its form or function, from

E) Non-Austrailians have called all aerodynamically enhanced, curved objects made for throwing boomerangs ever since 1788, regardless of their form or function, from


OA to follow.
Re: GMAT Prep #6 - SC   [#permalink] 10 May 2008, 17:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically iDisappear 8 28 Aug 2010, 14:57
4 Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically GMBA85 14 30 Sep 2008, 06:29
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically singh_amit19 5 24 Sep 2007, 10:07
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically LM 3 09 Jun 2007, 23:43
Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically karthikb 4 22 Oct 2005, 04:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Regardless of their form or function, all aerodynamically

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.