Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reguest for profile evaluation and guidance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reguest for profile evaluation and guidance [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 21:12
I am an Indian, Male 31yrs old, living and working in Germany for the past 5 years.

Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (India) 91%
BTech in Computer Science (India) 77%
MS in Automation Systems (Germany) (2.0:German System)

Languages Spoken Fluently: English, German, my mother tongue

I am working as a Development Engineer (project leader) for the last
3.5 years for a luxury car manufacturer in Germany. Job tasks include requirement analyses, function development and supplier coordination.
Also lead software tool development projects with companies in India and provide consulting for various departments of the company.

Always felt that I had the management skills through various cultural activities in college but wasnt sure if MBA was the right choice. Dec 2005-Jan 2006, I was in Africa. Went there as a social worker to work with the Masai tribesmen. I was deeply moved by what I experienced there. This was the turning point. Took my time and by the end of 2006 I decided to go for an MBA. Basically looking for a change in career. In Germany I do community work for the local church. Optimally would like to work for a non-profit organisation/ social services field.

A good school would be a perfect launch pad! Took the GMAT
GMAT: 610 Quant:46 (80%) Verbal: 28 (51%) AWA: awaiting

I am trying for admission next year (2009). I am not sure if I should consider taking up the GMAT again to improve my verbal or apply!!!!

Schools being considered
Schulich
LBS
Insead
IMD
Cambridge
Oxford

It would be great if you could give me some tips as to how to proceed.
Thank you...
AugiTh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 18:34
Yes, your chances of achieving acceptance would increase quite a bit with an improved GMAT score. You should be shooting for at least a 660 for those schools.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 18:56
Expert's post
I think you have an interesting background, and some really interesting experiences to draw upon developing your application!

We usually discourage applicants from focusing on the GMAT too much, but in your case, I would recommend taking it again and aiming for a higher score. I don't have the middle-80% range for those schools handy, but you should be able to find that info easily on their web sites. There are no hard GMAT cut-offs, but ideally you can score at least at the low end of that range. Your writing is good, so I'm surprised by the low verbal score. Definitely take some time to prepare some more and try again!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Thank you! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 01:28
Hi truthringer and Scott,

Thank you very much! I guess I would be taking up the GMAT again!
It felt great to hear both your perspectives and I should say helped convince my wife to allow me to go in for a second shot at GMAT :wink:

I was not sure how much of weightage would be given to my GMAT scores given my intentions of doing an MBA and my experiences in life. yeah Scott, I myself was in a state of shock when I saw my verbal scores. Couldnt believe it! Anyway now I know what to do!!!

You guys have been great!

AugiTh