Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 08:41
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (02:26) correct 27% (01:46) wrong based on 112 sessions
Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to humans to be used inside houses
unless the pesticide will dissipate completely from the air within eight hours after its
application. One test that pesticide manufacturers standardly use to determine how
quickly anti-termite pesticides dissipate involves spraying the pesticides on the walls of
room-sized plywood boxes and then timing its dissipation.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in order to evaluate whether a
dissipation time of just under eight hours on the manufacturers’ test indicates that an antitermite
pesticide that is toxic to humans obeys regulations for use in houses?

A. Whether anti-termite pesticides dissipate more slowly in furnished rooms than in
plywood boxes
B. Whether people who apply anti-termite pesticide standardly wear protective
equipment that prevents them from being exposed to the pesticide
C. Whether people whose house is being treated with anti-termite pesticide generally
know that they should remain out of their house during the hours immediately after the pesticide’s application
D. Whether there are anti-termite pesticides that are toxic to humans that, when
subjected to the manufacturers’ test, dissipate completely from the air in the boxes
in well under eight hours
E. Whether anti-termite pesticides that are not toxic to humans tend to take longer to
dissipate than those that are toxic
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1043

Kudos [?]: 4559 [4] , given: 162

Re: CR - Regulations will not allow a pesticide [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sumitjain wrote:
Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to humans to be used inside houses
unless the pesticide will dissipate completely from the air within eight hours after its
application. One test that pesticide manufacturers standardly use to determine how
quickly anti-termite pesticides dissipate involves spraying the pesticides on the walls of
room-sized plywood boxes and then timing its dissipation.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in order to evaluate whether a
dissipation time of just under eight hours on the manufacturers’ test indicates that an antitermite
pesticide that is toxic to humans obeys regulations for use in houses?

A. Whether anti-termite pesticides dissipate more slowly in furnished rooms than in
plywood boxes
B. Whether people who apply anti-termite pesticide standardly wear protective
equipment that prevents them from being exposed to the pesticide
C. Whether people whose house is being treated with anti-termite pesticide generally
know that they should remain out of their house during the hours immediately after the pesticide’s application
D. Whether there are anti-termite pesticides that are toxic to humans that, when
subjected to the manufacturers’ test, dissipate completely from the air in the boxes
in well under eight hours
E. Whether anti-termite pesticides that are not toxic to humans tend to take longer to
dissipate than those that are toxic

'Useful to evaluate' is a tricky question type in GMAT. You need to understand the stimulus and question thoroughly.

Stimulus:
A toxic pesticide can be used inside houses only if it dissipates within 8 hrs.
One test used to determine this involves spraying room sized plywood boxes and timing it.
(So basically, instead of spraying in an actual room, pesticide is sprayed in a room sized box and timed.)

Question: In case a pesticide does have a dissipation time of just under 8 hrs on the test, can it be used in houses? In order to answer this question which of the following will be useful to evaluate? (What I am thinking at this point is that I might need to know whether there is any difference between rate of dissipation in a plywood box and in an actual room)

A. Whether anti-termite pesticides dissipate more slowly in furnished rooms than in plywood boxes
Yes, I need to know this. If a pesticide has a dissipation time of just under 8 hrs, I need to know if it will take more time to dissipate in an actual furnished room. If it will take more time, it may not be allowed in houses. If it will take the same time, it may be allowed in houses. So this is useful to evaluate.

B. Whether people who apply anti-termite pesticide standardly wear protective equipment that prevents them from being exposed to the pesticide
Has nothing to do with rate of dissipation.

C. Whether people whose house is being treated with anti-termite pesticide generally know that they should remain out of their house during the hours immediately after the pesticide’s application
Has nothing to do with rate of dissipation.

D. Whether there are anti-termite pesticides that are toxic to humans that, when subjected to the manufacturers’ test, dissipate completely from the air in the boxes in well under eight hours
Whether such pesticides exist or not doesn't matter. I am concerned about that fact that if a pesticide does pass the test, can it be used in houses?

E. Whether anti-termite pesticides that are not toxic to humans tend to take longer to dissipate than those that are toxic
The argument has nothing to do with non toxic pesticides.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Regulations will not allow a pesticide [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
if the pesticide dissipated more slowly in the furnished room than that would not solve the purpose of testing it . On the
other hand , if it dissipated faster in the furnished room , then it safer for humans.
Therefore taking two extreme stance has effect on the conclusion and therefore it is A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Regulations will not allow a pesticide [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
IMO...its A.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - Regulations will not allow a pesticide [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Please support the answer choice with some explanation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Regulations will not allow a pesticide [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 08:22
Thanks Raths and Karishma! Good explanation.
VP
VP
Followers: 208

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 00:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 02:06
clearly A which satisfies what the argument wants.

Rest all other choices are irrelaevant with the argument looked closely.

-h
Re: Regulations will not allow a pesticide that is toxic to   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2014, 02:06