Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer an estimate of predicted GMAT scores (Quant, Verbal, and Combined Score) based upon results from the Official Guide 12th Edition and Quant/Verbal 2nd Editions?

I'm currently getting 97% of the Quantitative problems and 91% of the Verbal problems correct (OG 12 and Quant+Verbal 2nd Editions). Is 9 out of 10 good enough to score in the 40-44 range in the Verbal section? Can one assume that a 90% percent correct on the OG guides roughly implies a 90th percentile result on the GMAT? (PS and DS results are 98% and 96%, with CR, RC, and SC results at 94%, 91%, and 90%, respectively). There is not a significant reduction (< 2-3%) in the percentage of problems correct as the problems become more difficult, i.e. later problems in the OG guides.

I have already taken the GMAT (Q:50 (93%), V:33(66%), C:690(88%)), but I am hoping to improve my Verbal score to raise my combined score into the 740-760 range. My Verbal results during this round of study are much improved from my last round of study (from about 65% to 91% correct). I'm hoping a percent correct increase (25% or so) on the Official Guides is indicative of a corresponding percentile result increase (from 66% to around 90%+) on the GMAT exam.

Thank you in advance for any comments,
SJD
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 15

Re: Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 16:31
It depends...

If the 10% that you are getting wrong are ALL 700-800 level questions - then it probably won't get you that high score you desire - but I'm sure that's not the case.

If you have been redoing questions in the OG - this may be biasing your verbal results slightly. I'd suggest that you do a GMAT Prep CAT to test your refined verbal abilities out on a new set of questions - and it'll be more indicative. You look pretty sorted for Quants (a Q50 is amazing!).

MGMAT also has 1 free CAT on their website I believe.

To better explain it, here's a graph:

As you can see, the CAT keeps adapting to the questions you get right or wrong.

Eventually, it finds a "sweet spot" where you are stuck between two difficult levels - and hence - your ability is determined.

The above graph is an example of "the ideal test taker" - where the test taker gets stuck in a sweet spot very early on, and is consistent.

Kudos always appreciated if my post helped you :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 04:54
This is from the old GMATs (before it went CAT):

Average GMAT Scores

Average GMAT scores always vary from year to year. If you are interested in learning more about average GMAT scores, contact the admissions office at your school(s) of choice. They will be able to tell you what the average GMAT score is based on the scores of their applicants. This will give you something to shoot for when you take the GMAT. The GMAT scores shown below can also give you an idea of what the average score is based on percentiles.
96-99th percentile- 720
79-90th percentile- 630
61-75th percentile- 570
37-50th percentile- 500

The CAT means you can miss 1/2, but if one is testing you at a 780 level question and you miss and it spits out a 750 question next and you get that right...then you literally can do that all test long and wind up with a score over a 750 and below a 780. I'd advise that you take the OLD exams on paper and see how you do....that will give you an idea of the range. That or find 700+ level questions and see how easily you answer those (if too hard then do 650 and 600+ level questions and see how you do).
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5385 [0], given: 165

Re: Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 02:24
Expert's post
SJD wrote:
Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer an estimate of predicted GMAT scores (Quant, Verbal, and Combined Score) based upon results from the Official Guide 12th Edition and Quant/Verbal 2nd Editions?

I'm currently getting 97% of the Quantitative problems and 91% of the Verbal problems correct (OG 12 and Quant+Verbal 2nd Editions). Is 9 out of 10 good enough to score in the 40-44 range in the Verbal section? Can one assume that a 90% percent correct on the OG guides roughly implies a 90th percentile result on the GMAT? (PS and DS results are 98% and 96%, with CR, RC, and SC results at 94%, 91%, and 90%, respectively). There is not a significant reduction (< 2-3%) in the percentage of problems correct as the problems become more difficult, i.e. later problems in the OG guides.

I have already taken the GMAT (Q:50 (93%), V:33(66%), C:690(88%)), but I am hoping to improve my Verbal score to raise my combined score into the 740-760 range. My Verbal results during this round of study are much improved from my last round of study (from about 65% to 91% correct). I'm hoping a percent correct increase (25% or so) on the Official Guides is indicative of a corresponding percentile result increase (from 66% to around 90%+) on the GMAT exam.

Thank you in advance for any comments,
SJD

Actually, most of the OG questions are on the easier side, in my opinion. The tougher questions combined with time constraints and adaptive nature make the actual GMAT much harder and hence, the two are not comparable. You will need to take a GMAT prep test instead.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Relationship between OG percent correct and GMAT score?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2013, 02:24