Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM, Tuck, Ross, IESE, HEC, Johnson, Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ?? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 20:14
Hi
Can anybody tell me how significant these prep courses are?
More specifically i would like to know if one is at disadvantage if he/she doesn't go for it.

Thank You

kris

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 07:37
Well, like most things, it depends. If you're not good at standardized tests, then they are probably the best thing to do for yourself. Classes like PR focus on test-taking skills, and that can make a huge difference. If you also need discipline to stay on a regular study schedule (I had a problem with that), then they are especially good because you get a lot of homework.

If you're naturally good at these tests or don't need a lot of practice, then you probably don't need a prep course. If you are targeting a high score, though, which you seem to be, then it could help give you the edge.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2004, 22:07
it is true only 5% of the applicants score over 700. while the reasons may differ, i tend to think that we should have every advantage we can to get into this club. Oh no, 700 is not the end of your application, but it is definitely a comfort zone for most of the applicants. So, yes, if you can make changes to your schedule so that you can take prep course, you should. Always remember that the prep course is ONLY a start. To borrow a phrase from Linda, a prep course is a great place to start your prep, but a bad place to end it.

you should take a GMAT Course if any or all of the following applying

1. you are working full time ( consider purchasing a online course like GMAX Online )

2. you have been out of school for 3 or more years.

3. you are an international student ( learning correct english will save you a LOT , a LOT of time on your verbal prep and in your essays)

4. you have ATLEAST two months to prep. this is very very important.
your actual prep time = GMAT Course + Self Study

remember ,a prep course is nothing but a great start to your prep. the hard part begins when you have apply what you learnt in your Course to your prep. but i am confident that you will have a headstart if you take a Course and try to study regularly.

After you are done with your course, you are welcome to try out problems in our forums.

I hope i was able to help
Praetorian
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ?? [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 06:32
Hi Kris and everyone,

I'm looking at the same problem. Seeing as I work full time, I can't see how I'll be able to incorporate a class course in my prep. What exactly do I stand to lose here?

Praetorian, you mentioned online courses? Are they any good compared to class courses?

Ronan
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8810 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ?? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 16:21
Expert's post
ronanbale wrote:
Hi Kris and everyone,

I'm looking at the same problem. Seeing as I work full time, I can't see how I'll be able to incorporate a class course in my prep. What exactly do I stand to lose here?

Praetorian, you mentioned online courses? Are they any good compared to class courses?

Ronan

You may want to take a look here: gmat-prep-courses-classes-reviews-ratings-and-comparison-78451.html

There is obviously quite a bit of difference between online courses and in-person classes. Not all companies provide online courses, but those that do usually use the same material; thus the only difference is ability to ask questions and instructor time. Also, you don't have as much of a schedule when you study on your own. The list continues. It is really up to you and your personality - if you need somebody to crack the whip - then classroom course is the way to go. If you like to move at your own pace, then online course is your best pick.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ?? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 02:32
promotional message removed
Re: Relevance of Prep courses in GMAT ??   [#permalink] 29 May 2009, 02:32