Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 21:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Relevant Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Relevant Experience [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 12:15
Hi,

I am a computer science guy. I have been working for the past 3 years in the search technology area. I am a techie with no managerial experience whatsoever. I'm interested in doing MBA. My gpa/grades have always been pretty good and I'm confident that I will get a good GMAT score as well. But I feel my techie experience does not qualify as been relevant as far as MBA applications go.

My question is how do people from similar background manage in MBA applications? How do they get the relevant experience? What all things I can do in order to strengthen my application. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks a ton!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Relevant Experience [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 05:52
rainmaker123 wrote:
Hi,

I am a computer science guy. I have been working for the past 3 years in the search technology area. I am a techie with no managerial experience whatsoever. I'm interested in doing MBA. My gpa/grades have always been pretty good and I'm confident that I will get a good GMAT score as well. But I feel my techie experience does not qualify as been relevant as far as MBA applications go.

My question is how do people from similar background manage in MBA applications? How do they get the relevant experience? What all things I can do in order to strengthen my application. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks a ton!

I would say it would depend on you more than anyone/anything else. Why do you want MBA, why now, why this particular school etc.
I don't think managerial background is a requirement. Most schools look for leadership/ leadership potential in your profile. So I would suggest that you highlight this aspect in your essays. Also as a techie you would have worked in teams of varied sizes and at times composed of people from multicultural backgrounds. This provides you with an opportunity to showcase your contribution to the diversity.

"Techies" have a lot of options too. Perhaps you wish to start your own techie-company. Perhaps you want to get into technology consulting, technical sales. Since you have mentioned that you have no managerial experience, MBA would be a good opportunity to make that leap into the IT management area. There is also an avenue of techno-functional consultant where-in the finance/accounting/marketing study from MBA will help you get into the techno-functional roles.
Finally, you might want to switch your career away from IT and totally into Finance (Not sure whether it would be a good choice in this economy though) or any other field.

Lets wait and see what the pros (admission consultants) have to say.

All the best
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Relevant Experience [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 06:38
thanks so much for your reply - lots of helpful information. I'm also actively looking for some volunteer opportunities. It should also help in strengthening my application.
I hope the pros(admission consultants) also share their views.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Relevant Experience [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 08:58
It's not about formal supervisory experience. Most applicants (whether they are techies or not) don't have formal supervisory experience anyhow.

When adcoms talk about "leadership potential" it's really about interpersonal skills. If you're able to show that you're just as good (or better) with people as you are with numbers, that will go a long way.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Relevant Experience   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2009, 08:58