Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 14:12
AndersHolmvik wrote:
If you are set on cleantech, the best places are McCombs and Haas. I work for a cleantech firm and that's where most of our post-MBA's are from (with a few more from H/S/W). Both are great but given the choice I'd probably go with Haas if cleantech is the goal.

However, when a cleantech firm is looking to hire someone these days, there a half dozen qualified candidates with prior cleantech experience given all the consolidation in the industry lately. You will be a lot more successful going for a more traditional energy sector role first, then transitioning to cleantech. Worked for me.

Hey, if you're still around could you explain what role you transitioned from and what role you transitioned into within cleantech. Energy is my passion, and I've been working in oilfield technology for 4 years. I had the chance to jump into solar at SolarCity but the job didn't look very challenging from a technical standpoint and it didn't seem like I would learn too much about the business side or the development side from it, so I passed. It is still sort of a dream to somehow work in this area - though I'm not sure what an MBA can do when the tech itself is not that mature.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 05:12
A number of cleantech firms recruit (or used to) from MBA programs. A few that come to mind:

Tesla
SolarCity
SunPower
Brightsource
Bloom Energy
SunEdison

Brightsource and Bloom might go bankrupt anyday though.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 08:57
I dont think they will go bankrupt. They have good technology. Although, I am not sure about BrightSoruce but Bloom has some good clients. And these clients want to increase their 'Green Points' just to show the world they care or maybe some of them do care. According to recent IPCC these energy companies should not go bankrupt.
I see this as a bad sign for the world if they go down. Its time we act now. I also feel its time for the Greentech bubble, everybody got onto the green tech frenzy and one day it bursts. And only the best remain making the transition faster but rough ;)

Do What Your Heart Says....

Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Wharton '16 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 3

Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 05:58
Sorry, I'm jaided. I entered the sector at the height of the market in 2008 and have seen successes and failures on the venture capital side. There is no question that renewables, particularly distributed solar, are changing the energy landscape across the globe. I guess my point is that in what is still an emerging market, there are winners and losers, and there will be more consolidation. Do your research and choose wisely. For example, Bloom Energy's fuel cells work in a market where power prices are >20 cents/kWh. US prices have been at 7 cents or below for the better part of 5 years and are unlikely to rise much higher than that. So the company needs effective policy design.

I fully intend to stay in energy investing post MBA and have no doubts energy will always be an exciting, essential, and (hopefully) profitable career path. Godspeed
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 08:57
I am admittedly biased as our Energy Club co-president, but I would urge you to consider Duke's Fuqua School of Business in a bit more detail if you are interested in the Cleantech field from any functional perspective. The Duke University Energy Initiative (DUEI) and our EDGE organization have been around for much longer than similar organizations at other schools. Further, we are the only top 10 business school to have a concentration entirely focused on Energy Finance and a separate concentration in Energy and the Environment. Lastly, I would emphasize our international student presence (over 40%, which is much higher than other schools) and focus on experiential learning in energy (see our Energy GATE program) as well. If you are interested in learning more about our Energy curriculum, events, club, or programs, please respond to this post and I will be happy to have a call or exchange e-mails with you.
Re: Renewables-Cleantech-Green Energy   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2014, 08:57