Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 21:09
My questions is pertaining to just getting over 700. I have taken the Manhattan GMAT class as my only GMAT study prep. Currently, I have a few weeks before I take my exam. I am not near my target. MGMAT was a review of the exam, and I thought I could learn a few things along the way. I did manage to have a significant jump; however, I still need another significant jump. I noticed that I was having issue with SC because of my eyes losing track of the wording as I scanned and eliminated. After a careful evaluation, I decided to rip through SC in the OG. Basically, doing the first 20 then review, take again, review, then next 20. I am pretty solid on it now. I have the bare minimum mistakes. I saw a huge jump in my SC on the amount I answered correctly.

Anyway, I have come to the idea that ripping through the OG and supplements over and over and over again will help me. I thoroughly go through each questions and DO NOT just pick the right answer. I explain to myself how to get the answer and why the other answers are wrong. It is NOT just memorizing that it is answer A or B. I thoroughly explain to myself why and how.

My question is the following: Is it enough studying to do all of the GMAC retired questions (OG questions Edition 12 and 13 along with the supplements: Verbal and Math)? I would continue to repeat each question over and over till I was getting 95-100% right. Will this be enough to break that 700 barrier?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 21:48
Expert's post
Doing mistake analysis is a very good practice. You should always do it with any question really (save it, or somehow make a record of it and go back to it later to make sure you understand why you messed up and why you will never make the same mistake again). After that, IF YOU STILL HAVE quesitons or unsure about the reason why, you would ideally try to find the relevant material/background as to why you made a mistake. Fix the gap in your knowledge and move on.

If you have taken a MGMAT Class, you should have covered the OG questions by now, right? they include them as a part of the curriculum or am I off?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 05:45
Thank you for the quick response!!

You are correct with MGMAT; however, I was advised in the beginning of the class that homework was quality not quality, and I would not finish all the questions. As you can understand, I did not finish the book, but the majority of the questions. I still had a huge jump in the score from the course.

So thank you again with the advise.

Can you answer another questions? Is this enough to be solid on the 600-700 questions, and maybe get a few 700-800 on the actual exam to get in the 700s?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:02
Expert's post
Yes, most of the test questions are not technically 700-800 level questions. Instead, they are solid Arithmetic questions and tricky questions involving a few concepts. Totally doable in 4 mins but harder in 2 you have. You should focus on arithmetic and basics (don't worry too much about probability and others - you should know how to solve a basic probability question and understand how to calculate standard deviation/etc conceptually but nothing more).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:33
Thank you. I will return in two weeks with a progress report. All the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 15:39
Funny you should mention this--I tell students all the time that repeating OG questions is the surest way to a high score.

I see many people who figure out ways to get thousands of questions so that they never have to repeat one, but the same people never figure out why they missed a question in the first place.

The best thing you can possibly do is to analyze question and answers repeatedly until you thoroughly understand how the question was written; that is, until you understand what the question means and what traps were set within it specifically to trick you.

I would go so far as to say that being able to confidently do any question in the OG13 and justify your answer, along with healthy practice at CATs, is enough to reach a 700 level.

Looking to Maximize your GMAT Score in a Minimum of Time? PM ME!

I am Rowan Hand, a London GMAT Tutor, Consultant, and Coach. Based in the UK--available anywhere!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 13:05
Which has more priority :the Ogs I already went through during my past 2 attempts or the official question pack I purchased for my third attempt ?do I start with ogs first or with the pack?

Posted from my mobile device Image

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
The OG questions are considered the best because they are written by the actual testwriters.

I don't see any particular advantage of OG questions over the official GMAC question packs.

HOWEVER, if you are still confused with any OG questions at all, I would recommend repeating these until you are comfortable with them.

Remember that a common mistake is to buy hundreds or thousands of questions just so "you'll never run out." It is better to stick with a smaller number of quality questions--always consider the source of the questions, putting priority on official GMAC materials--and make sure that you can confidently answer them.

Looking to Maximize your GMAT Score in a Minimum of Time? PM ME!

I am Rowan Hand, a London GMAT Tutor, Consultant, and Coach. Based in the UK--available anywhere!

Re: Repeating OG questions over and over and over and over again   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2013, 13:45