Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

48% (02:50) correct 52% (01:37) wrong based on 211 sessions
Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new test that for the first time accurately diagnoses autism in children as young as 18 months old. When used to evaluate 16,000 children at their 18-month checkup, the test correctly diagnosed all 10 children later confirmed to be autistic, though it also wrongly identified 2 children as autistic. Autistic children can therefore now benefit much earlier in life than before from the treatments already available.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the reporter's argument depends?

A) No test intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed before the new test was devised.

B) A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions.

C) The new test can be used to evaluate all children. regardless of the level of development of their verbal skills.

D) Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will not be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children.

E) There was no reliable evidence that autism could affect children so young until the advent of the new test.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 4

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 10:03
Choose A here
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 33

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 21:02
I choose "A" here because the conclusion mentions about the autistic children and the benefits which they can receive at an early age because of the avaialibility of the newly devised test.

This clealy implies that earlier there was no such test available, which could diagnose the autism at an erly age.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD- WL, IE - Apr 2011

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
The argument doesn't clearly mention that there were no tests available prior to this one, it only mentions "a new test that for the first time accurately diagnoses autism in children", hence A cannot be the right choice.

B seems to be the correct answer, since it assumes that a few false cases cannot undermine the credibility of the new test. So IMO B.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 08:19
OA is B. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
I feel the correct answer is D.

A) No test intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed before the new test was devised.--->The question stem says "first time accurately diagnoses autism", it doesnt mean no test was available earlier.

B) A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions.---->if test truly or falsely gives positive result,treatment will be done as the positive result is basis for treatment.But the assumption here is treatment on a healthy child wont harm him/her.D stmt confirms this.Hence it is right.

D) Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will not be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children.-->It is the desired assumption
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 08:14
rajkar001 wrote:
I feel the correct answer is D.

A) No test intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed before the new test was devised.--->The question stem says "first time accurately diagnoses autism", it doesnt mean no test was available earlier.

B) A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions.---->if test truly or falsely gives positive result,treatment will be done as the positive result is basis for treatment.But the assumption here is treatment on a healthy child wont harm him/her.D stmt confirms this.Hence it is right.

D) Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will not be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children.-->It is the desired assumption

Choosin D for the same reason as above.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 4

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2009, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
Tricky Question B is the Answer

Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new test that for the first time accurately diagnoses autism in children as young as 18 months old. When used to evaluate 16,000 children at their 18-month checkup, the test correctly diagnosed all 10 children later confirmed to be autistic, though it also wrongly identified 2 children as autistic. Autistic children can therefore now benefit much earlier in life than before from the treatments already available.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the reporter's argument depends?

A) No test intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed before the new test was devised.
A team of scientists has recently devised a new test that for the first time accurately diagnoses autism in children as young as 18 months old Based on First statement in the stimulus, A is Fact not an assumption

B) A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions.

C) The new test can be used to evaluate all children. regardless of the level of development of their verbal skills.

D) Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will not be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children.

Argument in the stimulus is Autistic children can therefore now benefit much earlier in life than before from the treatments already available. Here he is only intrested in the austic childrn. non austic is out of scope and trap here.

E) There was no reliable evidence that autism could affect children so young until the advent of the new test.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 05:10
B is most appropiate. (IMO)

No Execuse..

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 16:31
B sounds better
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 04:37
LM wrote:
I choose "A" here because the conclusion mentions about the autistic children and the benefits which they can receive at an early age because of the avaialibility of the newly devised test.

This clealy implies that earlier there was no such test available, which could diagnose the autism at an erly age.

The problem with A is that it says "No test intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed". There is no mention whether the test is accurate or not, as evident from the first line in the stem. Also as mentioned above, it looks more like a fact rather than an assumption.

To benefit from the treatments, as mentioned in the conclusion, the test has to be conclusive enough to administer the treatment. This is the correct assumption that can be identified from the question.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 336

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 09:27
B it is Thanku for the explanations

One Final Try.......

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:28
I went with B because of the "sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Assumption CR [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 03:32
My prephrase was so close to D that I didn't read other choices well enough...
B is the best answer.

A really intelligent question.
The argument is about the ability to treat the autistic children from an early age based on these tests. Any negation of B i.e. "diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can NOT provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions" directly affects the conclusion.

D is definitely an assumption, but may be not the must one. On one hand you help 10 children and on the other hand you put 2 children at risk--not enough to stop the treatment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 6

Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 04:33
B is the best answer, as negation of that option shreds the conclusion to a thousand pieces.

A is a direct contradiction to the first premise, so cannot be an assumption, hence cannot support the argument.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
Followers: 290

Kudos [?]: 2437 [0], given: 693

Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 04:37
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 07:06
This is indeed a debatable question. There are many linguistic traps over here.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:12
smashzone wrote:

This is quite hard question for me. Actually, I confuse between choice B and D, but I incline to B little bit.

Conclusion = Autistic children can benefit much earlier in life than before from the treatments already available.

Apply the negate technique with all 5 choices.
(A) There are some tests intended for diagnosing autism at such an early age existed before the new test was devised. => no affect the conclusion because whether some tests before existed but still were lower in quality than the new ones. The argument still stand.
(B) A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis CANNOT still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions. => If this thing happens, the 2 children that were diagnosed wrongly likely to be affected adversely, the argument collapsed by DIRECT effect => This is the correct answer
(C) easy to spot as wrong answer
(D) Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will BE adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children => This is wrong because of CERTAINTY of "WILL" that is very different from choice (B)
(E) easy to spot as wrong asnwer.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 12:47
Can some one please explain me why not D.

I Agree its bit B & D, I'm still more inclined to D.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 22:30
This post received
KUDOS
onedayill wrote:
Can some one please explain me why not D.

I Agree its bit B & D, I'm still more inclined to D.

Conclusion : Autistic children can therefore now benefit much earlier in life than before from the treatments already available.

Choice D : Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will not be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children. Let us negate this assumption. So it would be something like : "Those children incorrectly identified as autistic will might be adversely affected by treatments aimed at helping autistic children". Does this kill the conclusion??. The answer would be NO. One can still argue that even though the children incorrectly identified might be affected, the test would still be reliable in detecting autism wherever it IS present and hence would still benefit autistic children.

Choice B : A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis can still provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions. Let us negate this assumption. It would be something like : A diagnostic test that sometimes falsely gives a positive diagnosis might not provide a reasonable basis for treatment decisions. Does this kill the conclusion?? The answer would be YES. If the test is not a reliable one, then it would not be of much benefit in identifying autism in early stages.

Hope it is clear.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Reporter: A team of scientists has recently devised a new   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 22:30