Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting DUI/DWI ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 08:49
Hey guys have a question about reporting DUI/DWI - would love your advice/experience with this

If convicted of a DWI in the state of Massachusetts (a misdemeanor) (sentence was: license revoked for 1 year and attending a youth alcohol program because underage), must I report this when asked in application forms?

The question is asked in different ways such as "If you have ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any felony or misdemeanor (excluding minor traffic violations) please report below" or "Please explain any criminal conviction, criminal charges sustained against you in a juvenile proceeding, and/or court-supervised probation."

But HBS's app says that "Under Massachusetts law, you may exclude from your answer any first convictions for the misdemeanors of drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations..." - Would it mean I am able to exclude my DWI from my answer to this question in any state because the DWI occurred in Massachusetts? OR does it mean that I can exclude the DWI ONLY when answering this question in the state of Massachusetts?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue. Thank you in advance greatly.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 5

Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:02
I would say you have to report it. A DWI isn't drunkenness, it's drunk driving. The first time offense of drunkenness they reference would be offenses such as public intoxication or disorderly conduct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:03
Sounds like something that needs to be reported, since it's obviously going to show up on a background check.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:32
I don't think a DWI fits the list of offenses that you can exclude. If it were me, I would address the DWI in the optional essay. Nothing to in-depth, just a few sentences (maybe 1 paragraph max) to lay the facts out on the table and explain briefly what you've learned from it and how you've changed.

If they find out about the DWI through a background check, and you didn't mention it in your application, it's going to look really bad!

Just my 2 cents.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 10:37
Expert's post
Report but yes - you can make it a strength leveraging the optional essay. (e.g. lessons learned; hard things I have gone through; what made me a better person/leader/citizen, how something silly as this (at that time you thought it was silly but not any more) is haunting me through the rest of my life...) it could make a powerful statement but don't exaggerate. If it did not have any of those effects, don't claim them.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:42
I don't believe you have to report it, it is a misdemeanor and first conviction of drunkeness. Here is the state law http://www.mass.gov/mcad/crimrec.html. It is illegal for an employer or school to request this information. Drunk driving would be included in the term drunkeness, as it means any misdemeanor as a result of being above the alcohol level.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 11:54
Listen, we don't need to be perfect applicants... I think many people miss this. Not everyone at 21 years old knows that in 5 years they are going to apply to Columbia (CBS PLUG YA BABY!). With that being said, I would not hide from it as if it pops up on your background check then you'll be explaining why you didn't include it potentially. It's better to address that you lacked the maturity and insight and made a bad decision... then perhaps leverage this to include... I made a real poor choice in decision and through my mistake have come to value alcohol awareness and support SADD or something. Donations/Time volunteering will also be leveraged in EC's by doing this :)

Re: Reporting DUI/DWI ?   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2011, 11:54