Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 23 May 2003, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESION WITH POE [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 07:24
Expert's post
"Extended sales slump" is not a verb, but a noun.
verb is "extended".

Recently extended sales slump. Sales slump is surely there but we are talking about its extended version.
Whereas in Recent extended sales slump, it implies that among various extended sales slump, we are concerned about recent one.

I hope you are getting my point.
Let me know if anything remains unclear.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESION WITH POE [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:27
Marcab wrote:
"Extended sales slump" is not a verb, but a noun.
verb is "extended".

Recently extended sales slump. Sales slump is surely there but we are talking about its extended version.
Whereas in Recent extended sales slump, it implies that among various extended sales slump, we are concerned about recent one.

I hope you are getting my point.
Let me know if anything remains unclear.

Marcab,
Yes ur explanation is correct as usual...
Though i chose right answer, i have doubt in C.
We are speaking about current and future verb sequence.
So why can't be "is" rather than "has been"

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:35
skamal7 wrote:
i have a clear understanding why had been tense should be used. But really i dont understand is there any problem why recently(adverb) cant modify the verb extended sales slump? or it can modify????

"Extended" is not a verb here, but an adjective.
Recent extended sales slump -> Adj Adj Noun, Recent is modifying "sales slump".

recently extended sales slump -> Adv Adj Noun, Recently is modifying Adj "extended".
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1271

Kudos [?]: 3552 [0], given: 185

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:12
Expert's post
skamal7 wrote:
i have a clear understanding why had been tense should be used. But really i dont understand is there any problem why recently(adverb) cant modify the verb extended sales slump? or it can modify????

Hi there,

Let's take an example and explain:

Currently the date is Dec 20.
Picture that there is a discount offer going on in a store for Christmas.
Now this discount offer is extended beyond Dec 25 till 31 Dec.
So this becomes extended discount offer.

Now imagine if similar thing happened during Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 22) as well.
The discount offer was initially supposed to be only for 3 days.
But it was extended for 3 more days.
So that was also an extended discount offer.

So if today is Dec 20, then there is one extended discount offer going on right now through Dec 31. This extended sale is recent
But the one that happened in the end of November is not recent anymore.

Hopefully this helps explain why recent and extended are mutually exclusive. One is not dependent on the other. They are both individual adjectives of sales slump.

However, in choice B, you actually make "recently" modify extended, implying that the sales slump was recently extended.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 00:13
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
skamal7 wrote:

Hi there,

Let's take an example and explain:

Currently the date is Dec 20.
Picture that there is a discount offer going on in a store for Christmas.
Now this discount offer is extended beyond Dec 25 till 31 Dec.
So this becomes extended discount offer.

Now imagine if similar thing happened during Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 22) as well.
The discount offer was initially supposed to be only for 3 days.
But it was extended for 3 more days.
So that was also an extended discount offer.

So if today is Dec 20, then there is one extended discount offer going on right now through Dec 31. This extended sale is recent
But the one that happened in the end of November is not recent anymore.

Hopefully this helps explain why recent and extended are mutually exclusive. One is not dependent on the other. They are both individual adjectives of sales slump.

However, in choice B, you actually make "recently" modify extended, implying that the sales slump was recently extended.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.

OA is A I think..as the whole thing is in Past.

Shradhha,can you please confirm?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:56
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

A. its many problems had been the recent
B. its many problems has been the recently
C. its many problems is the recently
D. their many problems is the recent
E. their many problems had been the recent

Can you please explain what is wrong with Options B & C ?
I also want to know how recent extended and recently extended are different?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 625 [1] , given: 62

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
umeshpatil wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

A. its many problems had been the recent
B. its many problems has been the recently
C. its many problems is the recently
D. their many problems is the recent
E. their many problems had been the recent

Can you please explain what is wrong with Options B & C ?
I also want to know how recent extended and recently extended are different?

Hii Umesh.
First understand the meaning of the sentence in question.
Two things are taking place here.
i) The retailer is reporting that he has been facing problems because of the recent extended sales slump.
ii) The retailer said that he would start a three month liquidation sales.
Now, since you to strictly mention the sequence of events, henceforth you have to use had been.
Without this, it would seem that retailer would start a three month liquidation sales and will then report. That will distort the meaning as well as be an illogical choice too.

Now to your second question:
Recent extended sales slump- It implies that among several extended sales slump, you are more concerned with the recent one. Recent is an adjective and describes the noun-extended sales slump.
Recently extended sales slump-It implies that among several sales slumps, you are more concerned with the recently extend one. Recently is an adverb here and modifies only "extended".

These are the problems with B and C.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 08:54
Hi umesh, you can easily pick a answer based on pure logic. The correct answer uses 'recent, extended 'Sales slump, meaning the slump was both recent and extended.Both the adjectives modify the noun slump.But B tells you that the sales slump is 'recently extended', this is illogical. How can someone extend a slump recently? Here the adverb 'recently' modifies adjective'extended' that in turn modifies the noun slump. Also the world 'recent' can refer to a past or present event, you have to use the context to figure out what it implies. Here recent implies a past event (a slump that was over) hence past perfect tense is used.

Posted from my mobile device Image

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 22:24
Hi! I share solo's query on the tense of this question. Would options B and C be correct if they used "recent" instead of recently? It seems that either of those 2 tenses are logical:
B: The shop had and is still having problems (at the time of speaking) hence it is going to have a sale
C: The shop is having problems (At the time of speaking) hence it is going to have a sale.

Or would they be incorrect because the tense change changes the meaning? Original: problems were before time of speaking: if the store is not having problems anymore, surely it wouldn't need to have a sale?

Verb tense is my GMAT downfall! :(
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 11:44
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

I have gone through various posts explaining recent vs recently. I am not sure whether I would be able to decipher the exact intent on the real exam .so I am leaving that for now...the other doubt I have is, how do we determine that the extended sales slump has ended and is not continuing?? I mean the problem still persists and hence the retailer plans to counter it....how can we use had been here??
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 937 [0], given: 82

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 14:58
Expert's post
ratinarace wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

I have gone through various posts explaining recent vs recently. I am not sure whether I would be able to decipher the exact intent on the real exam .so I am leaving that for now...the other doubt I have is, how do we determine that the extended sales slump has ended and is not continuing?? I mean the problem still persists and hence the retailer plans to counter it....how can we use had been here??

Hi raitinarace,

You can recognize the past perfect by the verb "said"; the "extended sales slump" happened before the retailer "said" (simple past) that it happened. To find out whether past perfect is appropriate, first identify a verb in simple past and make sure that the event is happening before this simple past verb; if yes, then the use is correct if past perfect is used or needed if past perfect is not being used. In the sentence above one event "sales slump" is happening before the simple past "said" so the usage is correct.

I Hope that clears your doubt,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 16:46
about recent vs recently.
recent is an adjective whereas recently is an adverb. Adjective tells more information about noun whereas adverb does it for an action or verb.
In the current example, we need a word that add more information about 'sales slump'. extended is also an adjective. So, recent is the perfect match in the given example.

For example,
I appeared for the GMAT test recently.
The result of the recent GMAT test appeared by me was surprising.
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 23:09
Thx umesh and vercules

@vercules..Thx!! for the explanation, but No I am still not clear :(...We use past perfect to emphasize on the sequencing right?? and here in this case when the retailer said even at that time the "recent extended sales slump" was in continuation, so don't we need to show these both events at the same time on the time line....I know it's a stupid question to ask... may be I am missing something on the basics..
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 937 [2] , given: 82

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ratinarace wrote:
Thx umesh and vercules

@vercules..Thx!! for the explanation, but No I am still not clear :(...We use past perfect to emphasize on the sequencing right?? and here in this case when the retailer said even at that time the "recent extended sales slump" was in continuation, so don't we need to show these both events at the same time on the time line....I know it's a stupid question to ask... may be I am missing something on the basics..

Hi ratinarace,

"recent extended sales slump" is not in continuation. I guess you are confused by the use of the word "extended"; here "extended" is acting as an adjective modifying "sales slump". So it does not mean that the "sales slump" is "extended" in the present. It just tells us what kind of sales were they? They were "extended sales slump"; similar to "bad sales slump" , "bad" modifies sales slump.

as it is a modifier, you can write the sentence as below. "..many problems had been the recent sales slump.."

Hope that clears your doubt,

Vercules

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 23:31
ratinarace wrote:

@ratinarace - This question confused me too as to why "recent extended sales slump" is the correct construction. Adjectives can only modify nouns and since "recent" and "extended" are both adjectives, I thought A was incorrect. However, "extended" is part of the noun phrase "extended sales slump". Therefore, "recent" (adj.) modifies the whole noun phrase, which is gramatically correct. Otherwise, changing "recent" to "recently", which gramatically still would be correct, changes the meaning of the sentence in A. Now the sentence states that the "sales slump" was "recently extended". However, the meaning is that there was an "extended sales slump" and this "extended sales slump" "had been" recent (per A).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 02:43
Someone please explain what does "it" refer to in choice (a), (b) and (c).

Thanks !

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 937 [0], given: 82

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 03:03
Expert's post
Practicegmat wrote:
Someone please explain what does "it" refer to in choice (a), (b) and (c).

Thanks !

Hi Practicegmat,

The antecedent of "It" is the subject of the sentence "the seven-store retailer".

for example:

Capitalizing on its reputation, the textile company launched a new brand for kids. --> in this sentence as well "its" refers to the subject "the textile company"

Hope this helps,

Vercules

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 75

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
(B) its many problems has been the recently . Past tense is required
(C) its many problems is the recently . Past tense is required
(D) their many problems is the recent . the seven-store retailer is singular
(E) their many problems had been the recent . the seven-store retailer is singular

"said" & "would" in non-underline portion tells you that this is in past tense. (another use of would is to present conditions but no condition here).
And the sentence requires verb sequencing so past perfect + past tense.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 99

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 05:17
"Recently"-Adverb
"Recent"- Adjective (eg: recent decline etc)
Here we are talking about the sales slump which had been extended,not the recently extended (sales slump-which will mean that there were many sales slumps and the recently happened sales slump is under consideration).
We are modifying the "sales slump" not the "extended sales slump".

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 70

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 20:56
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent   [#permalink] 11 May 2013, 20:56