Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [2] , given: 0

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 23 May 2003, 01:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC-Reporting [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 18:12
vivektripathi wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Tense should be present or past perfect continues??

Agree with A but why? The issue here is recent. Recent not recently, which changes the meaning, is correct. Lets see:

A: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent (extended) sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

B: Reporting that one of its many problems has been the recently(extended) sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

............and so on.

Recent (adjective) in A is clearly better than recently (Adverb)in B. Sales slum (noun) is modified by extended (adjective), which is further modified by recent (adjective). Recently (adverb) cannot modify adj.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 22:54
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

this is an OG question, after reading the official explanation I got a doubt regarding the use of 'recent' vs 'recently'.

Request you guys to elaborate a little further on this.

Will post the OA soon.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: OG question - Reporting [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 00:07
I think its a had been vs has been question.

The answer should be A, as the verb is in past tense.

Also recent extended sales slump means it is the extended sales slump that recently caused the problem.

In recently extended sales slump, it means the extension caused the problem

Last edited by bhatiagp on 21 Jun 2009, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: OG question - Reporting [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 06:27
Thank you guys for the responses.

The OA is indeed A.

The OE says, 'extended sales slump' is a NOUN PHRASE and thats the reason, it uses an adjective 'recent' rather than an adverb 'recently'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: OG question - Reporting [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 11:22
The important point to note here is that we need the adjective recent rather than the adverb recently....Further looking for the subject verb agreement will lead us to the right answer, A...

Choose Life

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

V.40) Reporting that one of its many problems, had been the [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 18:18
V.40) Reporting that one of its many problems, had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores

A) its many problems had been the recent
C) its many problems is the recently

the correct answer is A...I know what the problem in verb tense is, however, my question is about "recent".
The explanation provided in the book says: the adverb "recently" modifies only the adjective "extended", distorting meaning.

I'm sure if I understand why it should be "recent", not "recently. Isn't it modifying the adjective "extended"?

thanks,
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2), Ross (R2)
WE 1: 3.5 yrs sales & project mgmt at financial services firm
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: OG - Verbal - 12th edition - Q.40 [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 12:53
the recent extended sales slump = an extended sales slump that happened recently

the recently extended sales slump = a sales slump of unknown duration that was recently extended
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 26

Re: OG - Verbal - 12th edition - Q.40 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 16:27
This post received
KUDOS
recent (adjective) describes the <sales> slump

recently (adverb) modifies extended -- this is not the intention of the sentence... we're not concerned with the recently extended <slump> (i.e., doesn't really make sense to say a slump is recently extended), but rather, the recent slump.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sentence correction - women's apparel , tense [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
maulikmajithia wrote:
Hey guys

Pick up the best one , and pls explain your thought process, it will help

Sentence

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparrel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores

Choices

a) its many problems had been the recent
b) its many problems has been the recently
c) its many problems is the recently
d) their many problems is the recent
e) their many problems had been the recent

I would Chose A for the simple reason that statement A has been made in the reported speech ( indirect speech ) .

In indirect speech If the reporting verb (ex: said, told...) is in the past, the reported clause will be in the past form. This form is usually one step back into the past from the original.

For example :
direct speech: John said : " Jim has gone crazy".
indirect speech: John said that Jim had gone crazy. ( present perfect => past perfect)

So The first option is in indirect speech and the action of reporting is actually in the past ( in order to be parallel with said)hence:

Direct: the seven store retailer reported:" one of our many problems has been the recently extended sales slump.."

Indirect: the seven store retailer reported that one of its many problems had been the recently extended sales slump....

or you can say :

The analyst said, "Seven Store has been facing extended sales slump in women's apparel and therefore it will start a three month liquidation sale."

or in indirect speech you will report :

The analyst said that Seven Store had been facing extended sales slump in the women's apparel and therefore it would start a three month liquidation sale.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence correction - women's apparel , tense [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 15:53
"Has" refers to something starting in the past and continues now. It could be a candidate for the correction; however, as mentioned, the retailer "said" indicates this sentence is referring to a past event.

"Is" doesn't make sense because it refers only to the present and lacks any temporal component. The slump happened over a period of time and not just now.

"Had" makes sense because the event in the sentence happened in the past and the recently slumping sales happened even further back in the past. "Had" is used to distinguish the timing of two past events (e.g., I had visited to Paris before I left for Greece).

If for example the phrase "retailer says" was used instead of "retailer said" then "has" would be appropriate.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 10:56
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(i) its many problems had been the recent
(ii) is many problems is the recently

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
a

I want to know what is the difference between the usage of recent and recently here. As per the explanation provided, recent modifies the extended sale slump as against recently modifies only extended.

Could any body provide more detail on the usage?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Verbal Q [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:57
* Recent is the adjective form; adjective always modify nouns and hence recent modifies extended sale slump (noun form)
* Recently is an adverb form; adverbs modify verbs, adjective or another adverb and hence recently modifies only extended (which is an adjective for sales slump)

Besides that, I think the question is of using "had been" vs "is". With the verb "said" (past tense), "had been" is appropriate since sales slump happened before the retailer said and it happened in the past. So perfect tense is used rather than simple present.

Hope this helps.

Please give Kudos if you like the explanation :)
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Came across this program in the OG GMAT Verbal Book in the [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 15:41
Came across this program in the OG GMAT Verbal Book in the SC # 49

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sales in all of its stores.

A) its many problems had been the recent
B) its many problems has been the recently
C) its many problems is the recently
D) their many problems is the recent
E) their many problems had been the recent

The books tells me the answer is A which I don't know why because every time I forget and go back, I end up picking B. I know it's not C because that's a idiom error and D and E can't be it because "their" is plural and does not agree with the singular "retailer"

I guess I always pick B because I can't find more than one verb so I just go with the past perfect and go with "HAD + Past Participle"

Not too sure on this whole Verb Tense part of the MGMAT SC part so I just trying to get a little help. Thanks.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [1] , given: 36

Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
Yeah I see your pain. But I think you are missing the "slump". All this mumbo jumbo is about the "slump" not the "extended"
recently (extended) (sales slump) ---> recently is modifying extended NOT slump
recent (extended sales slump) -----> recent is modifying slump

You see the difference! A is correct.

And you need the past perfect "had been" to ensure that store ("said") is talking AFTER the slump hit.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 01:34
Same problem with me too :)
I did this very same question yesterday and now, but again I ended up choosing B.

In fact, I also am not sure on wether recent or recently is correct for this sentence.
Any ideas anyone?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 21:11
first of all pronoun n.m. .it can't be their.because it is written in non underlined portion
second- the issue is modifier
Adjective modify only noun and pronoun.
Adverb modify any thing but a noun and pronoun.,
Recent is modifying sales and recently modifying extended,which is then sales.
Recent is necessary in this context.
tense issue.we use past perfect to indicate sequence of events.and earlier past event must has bearing on later past event.
in this context.earlier past event is -its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in w omen's apparel,
this must happened before the retailer said.
we can't use present perfect.because retailer is saying something which happened in the past.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 05:20
Between A, B and C - If we look at tenses then how can we assume slump is over and so we should pick "had been". I selected "has been" as I felt the slump started in past and contuiung today.

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:33
Ron Purewal of MGMAT addressed this issue on a different forum! Just for everybody's benefit...this is what he exactly said -

"recent" is an adjective; as such, it modifies a noun.
"recently" is an adverb; as such, it modifies an action, adjective, or other adverb.

the difference here is meaning-based: if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that the noun itself is recent, then you use "recent" to describe that noun.
on the other hand, if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that an action, adjective, or other adverb is recent, then you should use "recently".

examples: (note that "mastering" a sound recording means to improve the quality of the sound after initially recording it)

* recently mastered recordings
--> here, "recently" is an adverb, and so it modifies "mastered".
therefore, this phrase refers to recordings that have been mastered recently -- regardless of the time at which they were originally recorded. so, for instance, if i have a 1947 recording of arturo toscanini's orchestra that was just mastered last year, then that's a recently mastered recording.

* recent mastered recordings
--> here, "recent" is an adjective, and so it modifies "(mastered) recordings".
therefore, this phrase refers to recent recordings that also happen to have been mastered. so, for instance, the aforementioned toscanini recording would *not* be one of these, because it's not a recent recording.
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 32

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 11:58

Why C wrong? and Why A is Correct.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Reporting that on [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 12:12
it has to be recent slump, not recently slump.

Remember this can be applied to other adjectives. Example : current struggle

and you have eliminated D and E, so A holds
Re: Reporting that on   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2011, 12:12