Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 05:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 03:01
I believe first we need to determine what the pronoun their refers to, in this case it referred to cooling system, thus it. Second, the usage of time, present simple tense does not makes sense in this case, thus down to D and E. Too keep adjectives parallel choose D over E

Thus D it is
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:44
yogesh1984 wrote:
Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden and unexpected failure of the liquid helium cooling system, the engineering squad supervising the Large Hadron Collider requested additional funding to develop better maintenance systems.

a) their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden
b) their more crippling malfunctions has been the suddenly
c) its more crippling malfunctions is the sudden
d) its more crippling malfunctions had been the sudden
e) its more crippling malfunctions had been the suddenly

thought OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

I have reservation on use of its/ their in this question-
should not their refer to the systems ? because crippling malfunction is of systems not of squad
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(use to justify use of its)
so if option A were-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A- their more crippling malfunctions [strike]has[/strike] had been the sudden
, would it become better choice than OA ?

any thoughts ?

I choose D here. The pronoun "their" refers to the singular noun engineering squad that is incorrect. So A and B are out. In c, the verb "is " doesnt agree with the subject of that verb "malfunctions" so c is out. In e the "suddenly" and "unexpected are not parallel. Please correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 38

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 20:03
Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden and unexpected failure of the liquid helium cooling system,
the engineering squad supervising the Large Hadron Collider requested additional funding to develop better maintenance systems.

a) their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden - plural pronoun
b) their more crippling malfunctions has been the suddenly - plural pronoun
c) its more crippling malfunctions is the sudden - Tense mismatch with the remaining sentence
d) its more crippling malfunctions had been the sudden - Perfect choice
e) its more crippling malfunctions had been the suddenly - Suddenly is a verb and should only be next to a Verb, adjective or another adverb not accompany a conjunction

Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden and unexpected failure of the liquid helium cooling system,
This is a modifier and will modify noun it placed next to which is "the engineering squad".
"the engineering squad" - this is mass noun and represents a group hence we refer to it with a "It" not "their"

Reporting that one of their - will be done by the group not the system

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:50
yogesh1984 wrote:
Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden and unexpected failure of the liquid helium cooling system, the engineering squad supervising the Large Hadron Collider requested additional funding to develop better maintenance systems.

a) their more crippling malfunctions has been the sudden
b) their more crippling malfunctions has been the suddenly
d) its more crippling malfunctions had been the sudden
e) its more crippling malfunctions had been the suddenly

thought OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

I have reservation on use of its/ their in this question-
should not their refer to the systems ? because crippling malfunction is of systems not of squad
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(use to justify use of its)
so if option A were-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A- their more crippling malfunctions [strike]has[/strike] had been the sudden
, would it become better choice than OA ?

any thoughts ?

Their refer to the engineering squad => reference error

sudden/suddenly should be sudden

In report, the tense should be past tense. Choice C is the present tense, which cannot be in the report. Hence, choice D is the correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 04:59
I got D and it was an easy one for me.

BTW, i want to bring one notice to the experts commenting on the question thread.
There are many questions in VA forum which are still un-answered or has ambiguous answers/explanations. Sometimes attempting those questions doesn't help but it adds to my confusion.
Requesting you all to devote some time to those posts.
It would be very helpful for many people here.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 04:59
I got D and it was an easy one for me.

BTW, i want to bring one notice to the experts commenting on the question thread.
There are many questions in VA forum which are still un-answered or has ambiguous answers/explanations. Sometimes attempting those questions doesn't help but it adds to my confusion.
Requesting you all to devote some time to those posts.
It would be very helpful for many of us here.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 02:51
I am confused as had been means the problem is no longer present, so why request for funding? Please help to explain. Thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: Q V
GRE 1: 1600 Q800 V800
GRE 2: 1600 Q800 V800
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 07:16
smartyman asks a very interesting question: Does the use of the past participle had been mean that it was no longer a problem by the time the funding was requested? No. The past participle can be used EITHER for an earlier past action/event that is complete before the later past action/event OR for an earlier past action/event that is still ongoing (or whose effects are still ongoing) at the time of the later past action/event.

Juan had suffered migraines for years before he asked his doctor about them
, suggests that Juan still suffered migraines when he asked his doctor. You could also use a funny construction, had been+continuous verb, to communicate the same idea, Juan had been suffering migraines for years before he asked his doctor about them. I find the latter sentence awkward, and it really doesn't work with the continuous verb being. The problem had been being...? That's awful.

(I'm going to add this to the end of my answer above, since that answer is further up and more visible. Sorry for the repeat. I'll remove this quick reply later, but I want smartyman to see that there's been a reply.)

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 21:50
Good Explanation Mangoosh team.. thanks.

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V29
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 22:32
IMO D too. Since adjective should be used so sudden is better, and also the tense should be something about past tense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reporting that one of their more cripplng malfunctions... [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 21:43
I am nt sure hovv this vvorks

"Since “system” is in singular, plural “their” must be changed into singular “its” so that the pronoun can agree in number with its antecedent. Also, the squad “requested” additional funds. This means that this action of requesting took place in the past. This means that malfunction took place even before that. Hence use of present perfect tense “has been” is incorrect."

Here vvho is reporting it ..the engineering squad

that is vvhy it is a ITS.......
not because it is about the system.. the system does not report it ..

egmat wrote:
Hi All,

In order to ascertain the antecedent for “their”, it is imperative to understand the logical meaning of the sentence. The engineering squad supervising the Large Hadron Collider requested additional funding to develop better maintenance systems. Why did they make this request? They did so because they reported a crippling malfunction. What is this crippling malfunction? This crippling malfunction is the sudden and unexpected failure of the liquid helium cooling system. So what is malfunctioning? The liquid helium cooling system is malfunctioning.

Since “system” is in singular, plural “their” must be changed into singular “its” so that the pronoun can agree in number with its antecedent. Also, the squad “requested” additional funds. This means that this action of requesting took place in the past. This means that malfunction took place even before that. Hence use of present perfect tense “has been” is incorrect.

POE

Choice A: Incorrect for reasons mentioned above.

Choice B: their more crippling malfunctions has been the suddenly. Incorrect. This choice repeats all the errors of choice A. In addition, it uses adverb “suddenly” to refer to noun “failure”.

Choice C: its more crippling malfunctions is the sudden. Incorrect. Use of simple present tense “is” is not correct.

Choice D: its more crippling malfunctions had been the sudden. Correct. This choice corrects both the errors present in the original sentence.

Choice E: its more crippling malfunctions had been the suddenly. Incorrect. Use of adverb “suddenly” to refer to noun “failure” is incorrect.

1. Pronouns must agree in number with their noun antecedents.
2. Adverbs can only refer to verbs.
3. Use correct verb tense to convey the logical meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 23:24

Why "is" is wrong here. For example, Reporting that its "unity is broken", the squad asked for a supervisor.
Re: Reporting that one of their more crippling malfunctions has   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 23:24