Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Representation of Asians in business schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 10:28
I was just came across a breakdown of the Minorities at Darden, and it had something like 5% asian. As an asian myself, I am wondering if Asians are underrepresented in MBA programs. Any light on this topic would be appreciated.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 11:36
Asians are definitely not underrepresented in bschools. However, there are quite a few schools where Asians are underrepresented.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 18:51
At most events there is a large percentage of Asian and Indian applicants. They definitely are not underrepresented from what I have seen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 20:05
What is considered underrepresented? I mean 5% is not a lot. I am guessing that if it's over a certain %, then your either over or under?

Who consist of the other 95% of the class?
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2008, 23:44
if you compare it to the % in engineering, yeah!
hehe
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 12:05
billyjeans wrote:
if you compare it to the % in engineering, yeah!
hehe

The public school I went to was heavily focused on engineering; however, there were only 3 Asians in my engineering field during my 4 years there. I am sure it was due to the location, but the grad program was mostly internationals.

:)
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

Re: [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 03:41
riverripper wrote:
At most events there is a large percentage of Asian and Indian applicants. They definitely are not underrepresented from what I have seen.

which has a higher percentage? Indians, Asians or caucasians?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 19:02
I would go for Caucasians, then Indians, then asians. Just a guess. I was recently going through the facebook class of '10 for NYU, and man were there a lot of minorities. The whole class was full of asians! I could not believe it. The funny thing is, the facebook class of '09 had much fewer asians. I don't know what to expect.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 01:14
What is the reason behind it?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 15:18
Maybe less asians created facebook profiles in '09 than in '10.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 09:33
How about being an Asian woman? Now that's almost like being a double minority in b-schools :) !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 18:52
does being asian hinder you when applying to bschool?

GOAL: 7xx

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 21:44
no I don't think so

Please do consider giving kudos if you like my posts

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 10:31
"Minorities who are Asian" and "Asian" isn't the same thing -- the former refers to Asian-Americans, the latter refers to international (non-American) students from Asia. Also, the percentages reported by b-schools are defined differently depending on the school. For some, the "percentage of minorities" are reported as a percentage of the *entire* student body (US+international), whereas for other schools it's reported as a percentage of the Americans.

In any case, Darden may have less Asian-Americans than other schools (depending on whether that 5% is a 5% of the entire student body or just a percentage of the US students - if it's the former, they're not underrepresented; if it's the latter, they are underrepresented), but a good chunk (if not the majority) of the international students are from Asia, just like most b-schools.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Representation of Asians in business schools   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2010, 10:31