Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 11:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (01:49) wrong based on 2 sessions
Reptiles are air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons; so alligators must be air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeletons.

In terms of its logical features, the argument above most resembles which one of the following?

(A) Green plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen back into the air; so it follows that grass takes in carbon dioxide and releases oxygen into the air.

(B) Some red butterflies are poisonous to birds that prey on them: so this particular red butterfly is poisonous to birds that prey on it.

(C) Knowledge about the empirical world can be gained from books; so Virginia Woolfs' book A Room of One's Own must provide knowledge about the empirical world.

(D) Dierdre has seen every film directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder: so Dierdre must have seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, a film directed by Fassbinder.

(E) Skiers run a high risk of bone fracture: so it is likely that Lindsey, who has been an avid skier for many years, has suffered a broken bone at some point
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 12:03
Is this a trap?

Class X has property Y, therefore member of class X has property Y.

A?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 12:04
Please asandeep, dont get distracted by my comment. Think and choose what u feel is most parallel. I dont mean to distract you. Same applies to everyone. I think it is ridiculos question.

Last edited by anandnk on 08 Jan 2004, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 12:32
Hi stoolfi,

Why you answer only few question and leave out others. Are they too easy for you. Answering one question and leaving out others does not justify that u r busy. You might have seen them in the past then.

Anand.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 12:40
Many times I see that you folks post reply within few minutes. How do you know that a new question has been posted. Is there a way to configure my profile so that I get a mail evertime a new question is posted?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:35
Quote:
Why you answer only few question and leave out others. Are they too easy for you. Answering one question and leaving out others does not justify that u r busy. You might have seen them in the past then.

Being busy is my excuse. Since I've only read OG and Kaplan, 99% of this stuff is new to me. Some questions I do not answer because they are too easy, some because they are too difficult and I have no idea, some because ten people have already posted the answer that I agree with ten times...

It's a miracle that I haven't yet been fired from my job for surfing this board all day!
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:42
I am cool with you reply. I like your reasoning.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 13:53
stoolfi wrote:
Quote:

Being busy is my excuse. Since I've only read OG and Kaplan, 99% of this stuff is new to me. Some questions I do not answer because they are too easy, some because they are too difficult and I have no idea, some because ten people have already posted the answer that I agree with ten times...

It's a miracle that I haven't yet been fired from my job for surfing this board all day!

Well, none of us are fired yet.. :wink:
You know what I am saying..... :lol:
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 16:15
The correct answer is A.
What about dead grass or the grass that is not green.
I thought there is a flaw in A and no flaw in the stem of the question. There is no alligator in the word that is not reptile. Well then again there might be dead alligators. Unnecessary thinking I guess.

I was struggling between A and D. I endedup chosing D. Again one can always say so many people have the same last name.

I wonder why sandeep chose C. I apologize if I have made him get distracted by my opening sentence as a caution.

Sorry folks if I have put some pressure on you to get you to answer the questions. I am right now at home for 10 days. So I have all the time. I guess I will be in your condition from monday onwards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 17:43
Quote:
Well, none of us are fired yet..
You know what I am saying.....

True True.

Quote:
Many times I see that you folks post reply within few minutes. How do you know that a new question has been posted. Is there a way to configure my profile so that I get a mail evertime a new question is posted?

I simply refresh the main page of this forum atleast twice a minute whenever I take out time during my work hours :)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 18:14
anandnk wrote:
The correct answer is A.
What about dead grass or the grass that is not green.
I thought there is a flaw in A and no flaw in the stem of the question. There is no alligator in the word that is not reptile. Well then again there might be dead alligators. Unnecessary thinking I guess.

I was struggling between A and D. I endedup chosing D. Again one can always say so many people have the same last name.

I wonder why sandeep chose C. I apologize if I have made him get distracted by my opening sentence as a caution.

Sorry folks if I have put some pressure on you to get you to answer the questions. I am right now at home for 10 days. So I have all the time. I guess I will be in your condition from monday onwards.

anandnk you scared me by your opening statement !!!! :devil
I thought that A was a certain trap....you got me here... :scared

There is no doubt that A is the answer
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2004, 18:17
Quote:

I simply refresh the main page of this forum atleast twice a minute whenever I take out time during my work hours :)[/quote]

Same here. Did you learn that from me ? :beer
  [#permalink] 08 Jan 2004, 18:17