Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [125]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63661 [59]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [26]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than [#permalink]
Hi,
The OA is A. Source is GMAT software question pack 1.

Can we have an expert explanation? I realize that the question is testing parallelism, but am having hard time understanding what parts of speech are parallel.

Thank You,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than [#permalink]
mvamsee wrote:
Hi,

Can we have an expert explanation? I realize that the question is testing parallelism, but am having hard time understanding what parts of speech are parallel.

Thank You,

Experts kindly help here. .

don't really understand the differences between instead, rather than in this example. .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [18]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
mvamsee wrote:
Hi,

Thank You,

Experts kindly help here. .

don't really understand the differences between instead, rather than in this example. .

Responding to a pm:

Parallel Structure: Look at the structure of the sentence.

Reptiles, by doing A rather than doing B, can survive on ...

'doing A' and 'doing B' should be parallel.

drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than burning calories to generate it - 'drawing' needs 'burning'

'burn calories to generate heat' is the correct usage. You do 'this' to get 'that' result.
'burn calories for generating heat' is not.

Rather than vs Instead of:

'rather than' shows preference. 'instead of' means 'in stead of' i.e. 'in place of' and doesn't show preference.

He came to my party instead of his wife. - His wife was supposed to come but she couldn't so he came instead.

I would like to invite her rather than her husband. - Only person per couple will be invited and I would like to invite her, not her husband.

Here, reptiles prefer to get the heat directly from the Sun and hence, can survive on little nutrition. So 'rather than' is fine. In fact, even 'instead of' is not incorrect. Hence, even though some options use 'rather than' and some use 'instead of', the choice between these two is not your decision point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Can someone tell me what the IT is referring to in answer A. I thought the IT is closest to Sun therefore made answer choice A alkward.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
"it" correctly refers to "body heat". Please note that there is no rule that indicates that pronoun should refer to the closest noun. The reference by pronoun is determined by understanding the meaning of the sentence. I suggest you review the following two sources to clarify your understanding of pronouns:

1: "Pronouns" Concept file in free trial of e-GMAT. Here is short video for how you can access the free trial.
2: Article on Pronouns

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Payal
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
x rather than Y
X is a prepositional phrase
y should be a prepositional phrase.
in that case D matches.
why "burning for generating" is not correct?
A comes close to ||-ism as well
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
x rather than Y
in that case D matches.

No, 'by' is not a part of X.

Look at the following sentences:

Reptiles, by doing N, can survive on very little food.

Reptiles, by doing X rather than doing Y, can survive on very little food. - Here, 'doing N' is replaced by 'doing X rather than doing Y' (or 'doing X rather than Y' in case the same verb is used for both)

e.g.
Overweight people, by eating healthy food, can reduce their weight.
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than drinking sweetened juice, can reduce their weight. (eating and drinking are in parallel)
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than meat, can reduce their weight. ('eating fruits rather than eating meat is assumed)

'to' is the idiomatically correct usage.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
I think this one is pretty tough, and it's another good example of the fact that pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT. For more on this question, check out the video of our YouTube live session here.

Quote:
(A) rather than burning calories to generate it

On the face of things, it looks like "it' is ambiguous, because it could refer to "the Sun" or "their body heat." But again, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule, and the more important thing is the comparison: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than burning calories..." Hey, that looks pretty good. Let's keep (A), just to be safe.

Quote:
(B) rather than the generation of body heat by burning calories

Now the comparison is a mess. Comparisons need to be both parallel and logically sound, and this one is neither of those things: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than the generation of body heat by burning calories..." Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) and not from generating it by burning calories

The parallelism is a hot mess here, too. "Not from generating it..." follows the parallelism marker "and." What's parallel to "not from generating it"? Structurally, our only real option is "from the Sun."

But wait: that makes no sense at all. "Reptiles, by drawing their body heat... and (not) from generating it by burning calories." That really doesn't work. (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) instead of by burning calories for generating it

This one isn't terribly different from (A), but the few little differences are a problem. "Burning calories for generating it" isn't quite the right idiom -- I think we'd prefer "burning calories to generate it", as in (A). I'm also really not sure that the "by" is necessary here. More importantly: the GMAT seems to prefer "rather than" over "instead of." (And we could launch into a long discussion of that one, but GMAT Club threads on this topic can be found here and here.)

So (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(E) instead of body heat generated by burning calories

The comparison is messy here again: "by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun instead of body heat generated by burning calories"... that's a mess. Plus, we still have the "instead of" problem.

So (E) is gone, and (A) is the winner. Again, the "it" might feel ambiguous in (A), but pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule on the GMAT -- and the logic of the comparison is far more important.

Hi GMATNinja
I do agree that parallelism in (A) makes much sense since we assume (by) before burning calories.
However, from grammar point of view, why is B incorrect?
As far as parallelism rule goes, noun modifiers can be parallel to each other.
Here, drawing is a verb-ing modifier is in parallel with modifying noun - Reptiles
and noun + noun modifier generation of body heat, a noun
and by burning calories (again a verb-ing modifier) also modifies noun - reptiles.
Am I correct?
WR,
Arpit
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I do agree that parallelism in (A) makes much sense since we assume (by) before burning calories.
Here, drawing is a verb-ing modifier is in parallel with modifying noun - Reptiles
and by burning calories (again a verb-ing modifier) also modifies noun - reptiles.
Am I correct?
WR,
Arpit

Hello @adkikan/Arpit,

Thank you for the PM. :)

Choice B violates parallelism. The sentence uses the phrase X rather than Y. Per choice B:

X = by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun = prepositional phrase
Y = the generation of body heat by burning calories = noun phrase

The above mentioned elements are neither grammatically parallel nor logically. Please note that by burning calories in Y just modifies the preceding noun the generation of body heat. The Choice actually makes by drawing... parallel to the generation....

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Hey jennpt

Could you please solve this question for us, i.e. the way you would solve in exam including strategy!! thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
Send PM
I got this question correct, but I do not fully understand why "by burning" in answer choice D is wrong. I eliminated D because of "for -ing" verb BUT I typically prioritize parallelism. Please help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
x rather than Y
in that case D matches.

No, 'by' is not a part of X.

Look at the following sentences:

Reptiles, by doing N, can survive on very little food.

Reptiles, by doing X rather than doing Y, can survive on very little food. - Here, 'doing N' is replaced by 'doing X rather than doing Y' (or 'doing X rather than Y' in case the same verb is used for both)

e.g.
Overweight people, by eating healthy food, can reduce their weight.
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than drinking sweetened juice, can reduce their weight. (eating and drinking are in parallel)
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than meat, can reduce their weight. ('eating fruits rather than eating meat is assumed)

'to' is the idiomatically correct usage.

Ques- Shouldn't 'drawing' be parallel to 'generating' rather than 'burning'?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In option A, what is the subject of the first clause? Charles Bibilos said in a video on youtube that the subject is "body heat". Why is that the case as opposed to the subject being Reptile (the noun who is actually performing a verb)? Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 530 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than [#permalink]
mikemcgarry Magoosh ChrisLele margarette

According to once outside or twice inside rule
by is a part of first arm of parallel structure but not a part of seconf arm . I fail to understand the parallelism. Kindly englighten.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
egmat wrote:
What's the problem with D exactly? I could understand from the previous posts that 'rather than' shows preference and 'instead of' is used for replacement. How do we identify what needs to be used in the answer choice?

Hello @adkikan/Arpit,

Choice B violates parallelism. The sentence uses the phrase X rather than Y. Per choice B:

The above mentioned elements are neither grammatically parallel nor logically. Please note that by burning calories in Y just modifies the preceding noun the generation of body heat. The Choice actually makes by drawing... parallel to the generation....

Thanks.
Shraddha[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Hi Shraddha,
What's the problem with D exactly? I could understand from the previous posts that 'rather than' shows preference and 'instead of' is used for replacement. How do we identify what needs to be used in the answer choice?

Thanks,
Aarushie

Hi
Am I correct?
WR,
Arpit

Hello @adkikan/Arpit,

Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
The key of this question filter down to A or D; and people start thinking instead of vs rather than, and saying it is the meaning of "preference/in place of"... That is not the reason,

the reason to eliminate D is just lack of style, instead of "by" burning is redundant. A is cleaner.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts