Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request a candid evaluation for my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request a candid evaluation for my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 09:54
Dear MBA GAME PLAN:

This is linjunkai, the Round 2 Taiwan applicant for HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia, Chicago, and Tuck this year. The result is as follows:

HBS- dinged without interview

Stanford- no interivew invite

Wharton- dinged after interview

Kellogg- initial waiver ; Dinged with no callback

Columbia- Dinged without interview

Chicago- Dinged after interview

Tuck- Dinged

I knew that it is extremely more competitive this year than last year,
however, I didn't expected that I got all dinged from the schools I applied
for. Please be as picky as possible to comment on my statistics and the
chance for repplication of all schools I mentioned above.

My statistic:

27 male / BBA in international trade( not Top Univeristy in Taiwan) / GPA
3.7 / GMAT 730 AWA 5.0 / TOEFL 267, TWE 6.0 / 2 yrs as an division leader in Coast Guard Administration( madatory service) + 1.5 yrs as a special assistant to president in a small corporation that engages import and export business of healthcare products + 1.8 yrs( till now) as a senior financial advicer in Big brand insurance group( AXA Group)/ a lot of extras, such as founder of a NPO, VP of Rotaract Club......etc.

Short term goal: back to insurance industry and lead the team to focus on the pension market in Taiwan and assist Taiwan people to make wise
decisions about their own insurance and investment.

Long term goal: lead my company in penetrating the insurance market in
Mainland China and provide insurance consulting and assist Mainland people to make wise decisions about their own insurance and investment.

In sum, I really need your spot assessment since I would like to reapply
this year for most of top 10. Your picky comments are highly appreciated.

Morevoer, at this special moment, a president of a small insurance
brokerage company here offers me a "branch manager" or "Senior Development manager" position to help his company about training new agents, organizing the company, recruiting....etc. I am still considering whether to jump from my current position senior financial planner to branch manager position in that company. I am willing to take it since I definitely will have far more experience in management. However, I have only one concern here: this insurance brokerage company is not a big brand insurance corps compared with AXA group. I don't know how brand name influences my case.

Furthermore, one small asset management consultant LTD. also contacts me to see whether I am willing to join their team. I will be offered
"Independent Financial Advicer" or "director"(haven't decided yet since I
haven't decided to jumpt to her corps). In this corp, I knew that I also
will gain a bit more experience in corporate management and can assess to more financial products to provide clients with more comprehensive
financial service. However, the concern is the same: 1. brand name 2.
Right time to jump?

It is a delimma to stay put or jump to higher postion but no brand name. I hope you could shed more light on this and see whether which choice would sharpen my reapplication. I hope that through the professional analysis of you I can clearly see "Why Choose You" rather than reapply by myself. Your sharp comments are highly appreciated.

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 09:11
Expert's post
Don't be discouraged! Remember that these schools all have admissions rates below 20%. So, even a person with a strong profile will have a hard time getting in.

I don't see any obvious holes in your profile, although I don't see any real leadership experiences on the job. Have you led teams, or directly managed people? That type of experiences is extremely valuable in adcomms' eyes.

Re: the opportunity to switch jobs, what you'll be doing matters WAY more than what the name of the company is. The brand name isn't going to matter much. If the new role would give you more leadership/management experience, consider taking it and gaining some new experiences, and then apply again. If it's just an opportunity to make some more money while doing the same thing, then don't bother.

Remember: When you're a re-applicant, the key is to think about what's NEW in your application vs. last year. If switching jobs will help you gain new experiences, then do it.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Thanks for your comfort & two questions more [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2006, 19:12
quixx23 wrote:
Don't be discouraged! Remember that these schools all have admissions rates below 20%. So, even a person with a strong profile will have a hard time getting in.

I don't see any obvious holes in your profile, although I don't see any real leadership experiences on the job. Have you led teams, or directly managed people? That type of experiences is extremely valuable in adcomms' eyes.

Re: the opportunity to switch jobs, what you'll be doing matters WAY more than what the name of the company is. The brand name isn't going to matter much. If the new role would give you more leadership/management experience, consider taking it and gaining some new experiences, and then apply again. If it's just an opportunity to make some more money while doing the same thing, then don't bother.

Remember: When you're a re-applicant, the key is to think about what's NEW in your application vs. last year. If switching jobs will help you gain new experiences, then do it.

Scott

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your instant reply and your COMFORT. I did lead the team: 8 people finance team. But I have just step down the team leader position on July( Rotation basis position).

Moreover, in adcom's perspective, once the small insurance brokerage firm and the small asset management consultancy firm give me the similar weight on leadership-teamwork responsibility, what firm I should switch to if jumping to either one would fit in my career goal?

Moreover, if I take the switch within this month, I should reapply Round 1 or Round 2? Your advice for two questions mentioned above would be highly appreciated.

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 05:29
Expert's post
I truly don't think the type of firm matters. What really matters is your job and what you accomplish there!

If you're making the switch now, definitely apply later if you can. You'll want to have enough time to show that you've made some impact there. But keep in mind that, even if you apply in R2, that will only give you about four months (at most) to make an impact. So, that will be a challenge.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

What I gonna do? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 05:52
quixx23 wrote:
I truly don't think the type of firm matters. What really matters is your job and what you accomplish there!

If you're making the switch now, definitely apply later if you can. You'll want to have enough time to show that you've made some impact there. But keep in mind that, even if you apply in R2, that will only give you about four months (at most) to make an impact. So, that will be a challenge.

Scott

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your reply. In your professional perspective, if your were in my case, you would still reapply in Round 2? Or you will wait another year and reapply for fall 2008?

I just thought that I should not give up any chance this year to reapply because it is the opportunity cost( You know that) and you would never know the competition will be more or less intense in the application next year, right? I just don't want to waste the chance of reapplication this year though! Just my two cents! Your detailed and picky feedback on my point would be highly appreciated since I am very serious about my reapplication. I have to win!

-linjunkai
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 05:59
Expert's post
All things being equal, I recommend applying again year. If you aplpy this year and get dinged again, it may be tough to get in on your 3rd try. Build up a strong track record, and then apply when you can put your best foot forward.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 22:39
quixx23 wrote:
All things being equal, I recommend applying again year. If you aplpy this year and get dinged again, it may be tough to get in on your 3rd try. Build up a strong track record, and then apply when you can put your best foot forward.

Scott

Hi Scott:

In this case, you recommend that I apply next year rather than this year? If you were me, you would wait till next year and build the best reapplication as much as you can?

-linjunkai
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 12:32
Expert's post
Yes, I recommend waiting another year.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Your guideline and strategy are needed [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 23:11
quixx23 wrote:

Scott

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your advice. If I will follow your advice and wait another year to reapply, except for community service in my Rotaract Club what I can do withink this period of time to strengthen my reapplications next year? Your guideline and your strategy to help my reapplications next year are highly appreciated !

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai
Intern
Intern

Your guideline and strategy are needed [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 23:49
quixx23 wrote:

Scott

Hi Scott:

Thanks for your advice. If I will follow your advice and wait another year to reapply, except for community service in my Rotaract Club what I can do withink this period of time to strengthen my reapplications next year? Your guideline and your strategy to help my reapplications next year are highly appreciated !

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 06:19
Expert's post
Definitely look for more leadership opprtunities on the job. The community service is very important, but the most valuable experience of all will always be your professional experience. Try to take on new roles, seek out opportunities to make a difference (instead of waiting for those opportunities to be handed to you), etc.!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Please shedding more light on leadership opportunities [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 07:17
quixx23 wrote:
Definitely look for more leadership opprtunities on the job. The community service is very important, but the most valuable experience of all will always be your professional experience. Try to take on new roles, seek out opportunities to make a difference (instead of waiting for those opportunities to be handed to you), etc.!

Scott

Hi Scott:

Since the fact that I will switch to that small AMC within this month, I will serve as a senior financial advicer and as vice director of board of directors in my new place. With the nature of my position, would you mind sheding more light on looking for more leadership opportunities to strengthen my professional experience in my reapplications. Your more guidelines for looking for leadership experiences under the nature of my position would be highly appreciated.

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 07:51
Expert's post
I'm afraid that I can't help you much more! It sounds like you may need a professional admissions consultant to help you through some of these issues, or at least a mentor who knows you better. It's hard to give you that much more advice on this forum, since I only know a little about you. Best of luck!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Thanks for your help [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 07:25
quixx23 wrote:
I'm afraid that I can't help you much more! It sounds like you may need a professional admissions consultant to help you through some of these issues, or at least a mentor who knows you better. It's hard to give you that much more advice on this forum, since I only know a little about you. Best of luck!

Scott

Hi Scott:

Sorry to reply to you late. I just got Brian's mail from Verita. Thanks for your referring me to Verita. Once i have more further contact, I will let you know.

PS: It seems that Veritas doesn't offer FREE consultation. Honestly, I
would like to dicuss my case with the best fit consultant first.

Passion for H/S/W,
linjunkai