Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 09:57
I'd like to request some urgent advise from you, experts. I am a newbie of GMAT who has just read a few pages from GMATPrep and GMAT Review but have to take the test on 21st May. Yeah, I tried to take some sample tests and apart from sentence correction, the rest sections got only 25% correct answers. I really need some strategies from you to get around 600, although I have no much choice with 2 weeks time.
Really sorry for a stupid post from an unprepared guy.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 114

Re: Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 13:19
Well my first advice would be to go to mba.com and download the GMATprep software (it is free). Familiarize yourself with the question types with their practice questions, and then take a practice test. Put aside 3-4 hours, and take an actual test. Then once you know where you are starting score is, then you will know how far you need to go. A 600 in two weeks is different for some people. For instance, without cracking a book I scored a 570, so within 2 weeks I could have scored a 600. But for someone that scores a 400 without cracking a book, a 600 in two weeks will be nearly impossible.

Once you have your score, then review all right and wrong questions and figure out where your weakest sections are. You will need to improve these immediately. 2 weeks preparation is not enough. 3 months of intensive study is usually recommended, so you are behind the ball.

Good luck

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 16:05
Thank you, GMATLA. Thank you.

I'll try every possible way to improve mine and please help continue advise.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:17
I did the same kind of thing, I gave myself three weeks to prepare because I thought any more than that would just encourage procrastination.

What helped me the most with it, and it may sound silly was just getting down solidly the break downs of math. What multiplies into what, what divides out etc. I felt like it really freed up my time to focus on questions that I needed to be more analytical.

Just my thoughts :)

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:18
Oh, and in case it doesn't display it I got a 660, right about where you want to be.

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Re: Request advise from a newbie with 2-weeks preparation time   [#permalink] 04 May 2012, 00:18