Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for advice on Academic pusuit for change of Industry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for advice on Academic pusuit for change of Industry [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 16:46
Dear All,

Thanks for being patient in reading my 1st post.

I'm a 28yrs old Singaporean male working in an IT project management role for my previous job in a Hotel. I'm currently unemployed by choice so that I may be accepted for a heavily subsidized postgraduate government program that train ERP (SAP) professionals. Upon my graduation from the program, I would need to serve a 20mth bond in that role regardless of whatever industry I'm in.

I have an intention to work in the finance industry as an Investment Analyst upon graduation and had attempted on my CFA level 1 twice (failed due to work commitments). My grades for my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering are average (Pass with no honors). I'm currently pursuing a diploma in Accounting & Finance (local polytechnic) and graduating in 2010.

Understandably the Finance industry tend to hire graduates (less than 30years) for entry level positions.

Is it a wise choice to pursue a Masters of Finance, Masters of Financial Engineering or should I be doing an MBA (Finance) that could give me a shot at the interviewing table? The duration of the above-mentioned course is 1.5 years.

A 2nd alternative which I might consider is getting a CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accounting) which could lead me to a CPA (Chartered Accountant). This route will lead me to a more accounting-based career rather than a finance-related one.

My main motivation for working in the Finance industry is that the engineering profession is no longer highly regarded and there is limited career progression & remuneration as my country is moving away from engineering to a more service orientated economy.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Schools: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, MIT, Vandy, Boston College, IE, Illinois, Villanova
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Request for advice on Academic pusuit for change of Industry [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 06:28
There is too much going on here for an outsider on the internet to comment on what you should do, but here goes.

30 is too old for a masters program, you would have to do an MBA, and even in that kind of program, you would feel a little out of place. IT from Singapore means that you will not be unique, and your undergrad grades will not help, nor your unemployment. I do not understand how an information systems program and 20month job will get you into finance. If you truly want to be in finance, I would drop out, move to NY, HK, London, take part time classes at a local uni for some sort of certificate/diploma, get an internship, and just start banging on doors hoping for a chance. But, thats easy for me to say, just understand how hard it is to break into finance.
Re: Request for advice on Academic pusuit for change of Industry   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2009, 06:28