Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Request for evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 13:13
Hi Alex,

Below is a summary of my profile. I'd appreciate your thoughts on my chances. Thanks in advance.

Male: 30, Canadian, Asian (Civilian not military)

Languages: English, Mandarin and Cantonese

Education:
- Electrical Engineering GPA 3.3 (B+) (top Canadian school)
- a few course in economics for fun after undergrad
- basic finance certification

GMAT: 710

Volunteer: Food bank intermittently for last 2 yrs (difficult hold down volunteer position due to work travel). Some minor volunteer work while at war zone for Canadian Family members.

WE1: 2 yrs software development

WE2: 6 yrs CIA type organization in Canada (3 promotions + awards). Even balance between HQ work and field work.
- HQ: Research, analysis, Led major projects (1M+ (big for my org)), lead tiger team, Team leader
- Field work: Deployments abroad including to a war zone leading small but high impact team and adviser to a 1-star General. Extensive work with int'l partners and int'l military forces.

Goal: Finance and entrepreneurship

Schools: HBS, Booth, Wharton, MIT

Sent from my Slapchop

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 09:46
HBS and Wharton -- you'll be a stretch. But if you really want to go, then do your best on the applications.

Booth, Sloan, Columbia, Kellogg, Tuck, etc. -- sweet spots; schools where you have a more reasonable shot.

At this point, there's not a lot to say since I'm guessing you're at a point in your career/life that you feel it's only worth going back to school if it's one of the best, but at the same time, there's no assurances that you'll get in either. All you can do is just focus on the applications -- highlight aspects of your work that you feel can translate into a b-school environment and corporate world, and hope that an adcom likes you enough to say yes.

And if you're asking whether adcoms will see you in the same light as a US military officer -- the short answer is no.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager

Re: Request for evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 12:19
Thanks for the quick response. I'll concentrate only on HBS and Wharton in R1.

You're assumption are correct. Unless I get into a great school with classmates to match, there is no point using the MBA to switch careers. I agree, my profile is not guaranteed for admission to a top school. In the end, if my MBA options aren't favourable, I'll probably just try switching without an MBA. You've clearly done this for a while since you also anticipated my unstated concern which is how my military experience will be viewed.

FYI Ivey is my safety school. It's only 1 -year and will allow me to stay in Canada. I think the adcom will probably see my experience more favourably as well.

Thanks again for your advice.

Sent from my Slapchop

Manager
Manager

Re: Request for evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 13:28
Hi Alex,

Since you provided such helpful advice before, I wanted to give you an update and get your thoughts on my situation.

I've been accepted to Booth and Rotman. To decide between the two, I've scheduled visits to both schools and have been contacting alumni. I am aiming for IB or entrepreneurship.

What are your thoughts on preparing for IB recruiting? In the next 8 months I plan to continue with my second degree part-time at Queen's. I'm also considering re-taking the GMAT since my score was 30-40 points below my practice tests and is probably a bit low for IB.

Thanks,
isst

Sent from my Slapchop

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 09:22
Congrats on the admits.

Don't retake the GMAT. Banking isn't NASA where it's about Asian dudes with astronomically high test scores.

If you really want to go into IB, then focus on getting yourself up to speed on what the job is really about. Read as much as you can, network with folks at the various banks and get a feel for what kinds of people work there (which may or may not change your mind about going into it). Get street smart about it, not "book smart".

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager