Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for evaluation of my Profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for evaluation of my Profile? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 06:17
Hallo,

I am planning to send the best application for a full time MBA starting in fall 2013. I would be grateful to receive some insights on my profile and what can i improve on.

Profile:

Nationality: Indian
Education: B.Engg from Top Uni in India (not IITs), Class Rank 3rd (Top 1%). Dual Masters - MS+MBA(minor) from Top Technical Uni in Germany, Class Rank 5th (top 10%). Received Full Scholarship from Lufthansa AG worth 35k Euros for Dual Masters
Work Ex: Over 2 years Consultant with Big 4 in India (performance improvement), 1.5 yrs (till today) with top 5 strategy consulting firm in Corporate Strategy Practice, 2 years student consultant with same firm during Double Masters. Aided articles in HBR and leading German Business Mags.
Extra-curr: 1. Launched NGO in Germany and manage 40k Euros having secured it from 2 EU Foundations, sponsoring 2 slum schools with 80 children in 2 states of India, manage team of 24 people, Position held is Founder/ President, featured in leading German newspapers. 2. Presided over 50 member student body, launched website in English to provide information to more Indian students to come over to Germany, success was 40% increase in applications. 3. Teach Hindi to 12 Europeans on a regular basis.
Languages: English, German (Business Fluent), Hindi, Bengali
GMAT: Appearing in 2 months. Prep scores 700+. Expecting 750.

I want to break into Venture Capital/ PE, at the worst M&A at a bulge bracket after MBA. Choices are 1. HBS, 2. Wharton, 3. Stanford, 4. MIT, 5. Columbia, 6. Booth.

Given the datapoints below which point should i concentrate on the maximum. I know its early but I want to prepare with everything so as to get through the Top 5 schools.

a. Work Ex
b. Essays and Reco's
c. GMAT
d. Education
e. Extra Curr...

Awaiting a reply and wishing everyone the best.

Greetings!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for evaluation of my Profile? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 03:02
Expert's post
risabh wrote:
Hallo,

I am planning to send the best application for a full time MBA starting in fall 2013. I would be grateful to receive some insights on my profile and what can i improve on.

Profile:

Nationality: Indian
Education: B.Engg from Top Uni in India (not IITs), Class Rank 3rd (Top 1%). Dual Masters - MS+MBA(minor) from Top Technical Uni in Germany, Class Rank 5th (top 10%). Received Full Scholarship from Lufthansa AG worth 35k Euros for Dual Masters
Work Ex: Over 2 years Consultant with Big 4 in India (performance improvement), 1.5 yrs (till today) with top 5 strategy consulting firm in Corporate Strategy Practice, 2 years student consultant with same firm during Double Masters. Aided articles in HBR and leading German Business Mags.
Extra-curr: 1. Launched NGO in Germany and manage 40k Euros having secured it from 2 EU Foundations, sponsoring 2 slum schools with 80 children in 2 states of India, manage team of 24 people, Position held is Founder/ President, featured in leading German newspapers. 2. Presided over 50 member student body, launched website in English to provide information to more Indian students to come over to Germany, success was 40% increase in applications. 3. Teach Hindi to 12 Europeans on a regular basis.
Languages: English, German (Business Fluent), Hindi, Bengali
GMAT: Appearing in 2 months. Prep scores 700+. Expecting 750.

I want to break into Venture Capital/ PE, at the worst M&A at a bulge bracket after MBA. Choices are 1. HBS, 2. Wharton, 3. Stanford, 4. MIT, 5. Columbia, 6. Booth.

Given the datapoints below which point should i concentrate on the maximum. I know its early but I want to prepare with everything so as to get through the Top 5 schools.

a. Work Ex
b. Essays and Reco's
c. GMAT
d. Education
e. Extra Curr...

Awaiting a reply and wishing everyone the best.

Greetings!

Your ducks seem pretty well lined up in my opinion. The only point I would recommend working on is building a bridge to the VC industry. So many applicants and students want to enter those industries, but there are very few positions available. To prove that your goals are achievable, demonstrate that the path to VC makes sense and is waiting for you through a network that you have already established.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for evaluation of my Profile? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 05:09
Thank you Jeniffer.

Although I wont be easing out before I secure a seat. I am in search of a PE internship and have increased networking as well. I will work towards your advice to reinforce my applications.

Would you please tell me which schools would I have the best shot at given my profile (?) since I have figured through due diligence that they are quite different in nature.

Best wishes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for evaluation of my Profile? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 10:57
Expert's post
risabh wrote:
Thank you Jeniffer.

Although I wont be easing out before I secure a seat. I am in search of a PE internship and have increased networking as well. I will work towards your advice to reinforce my applications.

Would you please tell me which schools would I have the best shot at given my profile (?) since I have figured through due diligence that they are quite different in nature.

Best wishes

If you do earn the 750 GMAT, then I believe you stand a good chance at the top Finance programs, but I do recommend applying to a broad spectrum of programs to improve your chances. Therefore, I would recommend selecting from the following (in no particular order): Wharton, HBS, Stanford, MIT, Chicago, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Ross, Yale, NYU, Kellogg, Tuck, Georgetown, and Rochester in the US. If you are considering Europe as well, I would recommend LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, and Cambridge.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog