Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy, Innovation
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy, Innovation
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Re: Request for Help. [#permalink]
Kudos
JasLamba wrote:
Thank you very much mohater.

I appreciate your informative response, it has helped :)

I actually wanted to ask you - what is the "initial look" you have when you see a math problem? What I mean by this is do you have an standardized approach to every single math problem (the first 5-10) seconds? What questions would/do you ask yourself? I know your quite a strategist so I was wondering if you had something with regard to this subject.

Best,
Jas

The approach towards quant can be classified primarily as distinct PS and DS styles, which have their own subclassifications as well. The following is generally how I approach the questions.

1) Some questions need a strong understanding of the fundamentals and basics. You have to know that 0 is neither positive nor negative, but it is even. You must know that you can't divide variable X on both sides of an algebraic equation. These things help a lot on number theory related questions in both PS and DS.

2) Some other questions depend majorly on deriving an equation or putting a formula. The question statement should itself help you chalk out the numbers for the equation/formula. This technique is best used for word problems, algebraic questions, simple statistical/ P&C/ Probability, simple arithmetic and geometric Sequences and Geometry related questions.

3) This is the toughest part. The toughest questions usually involve a mix of the two above. There are fundamentals, such as specific scenarios in counting principles for P&C, relative speed calculations etc and sometimes, the formulas differ as you go along the fundamentals. Some tough geometry questions come into this category as well. Basically, you have to decide the best way to tackle the problem and then, use it properly to jot-down the equation/formula.

Typically, if you have been good at math since your childhood, the numbers automatically pose the challenge and you already know the path you should take to get to the official answer by just looking at the question. If you are stuck, do not panic. Just start applying your basics and the formula should be clear slowly. You'll be able to do this faster with practise.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request for Help. [#permalink]