Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Booth, Ross, Darden, MIT
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:33
Hello Paul.

It has been a pleasure reading your profile evaluations for other candidates on this forum. It would be great to get your input on my profile. I intend to apply to top 10 US and international Business Schools for Fall 2011 intake.

Here is my profile:

Education:
Bachelor of Technology - Mechanical Engineering, IIT Bombay, India 2003.
Master of Technology - Computer Aided Design and Automation, IIT Bombay, India 2003

GPA - 7.3/10 - translates to approximately 3.2/4 ( It was an integrated course, so GPA is same for BTech and MTech)

GMAT - 780 ( Q51 V46) AWA-5.0

Work Ex - Total 7 years.

3.5 years in Auto Industry Focused Software Development ( CAD/CAM softwares ). Worked as an expert consultant for Big 3. Coordinated and Partially Managed a team of up to 8 employees.
3.5 years as Senior Analyst for an Auto part retailer ( Fortune 500 ) with a strong focus on IT.

EC :
1. Started a free school for underprivileged kids in my hometown in India. The school is still running successfully with a strength 200+. It is completely free for students and runs on government grants and private charities.
2. Active member of Community programs run by my company for local community schools.
3. Active member of Technology festival and Cultural Festival committees during my college. Head of organizing committee for Alumni Day Functions organized during my senior year in college.

I am looking for programs with strong entrepreneurial focus and intend to work in Consultancies with focus on retail sector for a few years before starting my own business. Please give your inputs on which schools I should apply to. What else can I do to improve my profile?

Thanks for your inputs.

Ashutosh.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 00:11
Expert's post
Ashutosh,

The hour is growing late for me but I am trying to get to as many questions as possible, so I apologize in advance if this is shorter than usual.

The biggest thing you can do to improve your chances is to tell stories that are personal to you and that bring you to life as a unique individual. You have a great GMAT score, quality work experience, good activities, and a decent GPA ... so it all comes down to how well you can bring out the key themes from all of that and make it work in the context of particular schools. It's no easy task and it's why we're in business, but there you go.

As for schools, UCLA Anderson comes immediately to mind. Yale SOM. Haas. Ross. Those four seem like a great place to start.

Good luck on the road ahead. Oh, and don't let anyone tell you are "too old" to apply. Not that you asked about that, but I see it all the time on these forums. If now is the appropriate time and you have career goals that ask "just enough" of b-schools (not too much as to be naive or overly optimistic, not too little so as to be insulting), age becomes nothing but a number.

Thanks for reaching out.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton