Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.36
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Could you please suggest which B-schools I can apply for and what GMAT score will be required for that.

My profile is as mentioned below
GPA 3.0(First Class Degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, 2010)

I have full time work experience of 2+ years at HSBC Software Development India as a Business Analyst. Before joining HSBC I have worked with Atrysis systems Pvt. Ltd. as a Software Engineer. And I have achieved a performance rating of excellent - good throughout.

I have completed few Finance related certification courses conducted by NSE (National Stock Exchange of India)
I have done quite a few internal training in HSBC related to Finance and Business Analysis

In my college days I was a part of our college Student's council as the Chairman.We have organised many events under the council banner. I have also lead our college team participating in Inter college competitions as a chief coordinator. I have myself participated few competitions like Business Idea presentation and got prizes in the same.

I want to peruse my career in Finance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation - IT to Investment Banking [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 21:02
Expert's post
Hey aadi72,

Thanks for reaching out to me. With all due respect, it's really going to be difficult – if not impossible – to evaluate the information you have provided me. I'll be honest, I really don't have a clue as to what you want in the future. Finance is a pretty vast field. If I do not know where you are going, then it's pretty hard to tell you with the right path this – that is, what MBA program would be most appropriate.

Additionally, even if you can describe your goals in more detail, I still need to know what GMAT score you have. I can tell you that the way it does not work is for me to tell you a certain GMAT score, and then somehow you go out and magically achieve a score. If you want to know what GMAT score you need, look at any business school's average score and add 25 points to it. That's the score you need to hit.

It seems that your work experience is primarily within the IT domain. I do understand that you work at a bank, and that you are familiar with financial concepts. However, unless I have information to the contrary, your work experience is not compelling enough for you to pursue a career in "finance" – whatever that specifically means. And I am going to assume that that means you want to work as an analyst or associate in an investment bank.

The way you need to look at this – if I ran a business school, would I let myself in? Maybe.
    Now let's look at the other 10,000 people that are applying to business school.
    In particular, let's look at the 3000 of those applications from people who have worked in investment banking. Again, not just for a bank – but rather in an investment banking capacity.
    Let's compare your IT skills against the relevant deep domain investment banking skills that your fellow applicants may have. If you start thinking this way, you'll realize that on a one-to-one basis you will be considered a gamble. The other applicant with relevant experience, and relevant goals, will be much more compelling.

Right now, your profile is on par with a good one, but not one that stands out from the crowd – especially when you consider your goals.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

aadi72 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please suggest which B-schools I can apply for and what GMAT score will be required for that.

My profile is as mentioned below
GPA 3.0(First Class Degree in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, 2010)

I have full time work experience of 2+ years at HSBC Software Development India as a Business Analyst. Before joining HSBC I have worked with Atrysis systems Pvt. Ltd. as a Software Engineer. And I have achieved a performance rating of excellent - good throughout.

I have completed few Finance related certification courses conducted by NSE (National Stock Exchange of India)
I have done quite a few internal training in HSBC related to Finance and Business Analysis

In my college days I was a part of our college Student's council as the Chairman.We have organised many events under the council banner. I have also lead our college team participating in Inter college competitions as a chief coordinator. I have myself participated few competitions like Business Idea presentation and got prizes in the same.

I want to peruse my career in Finance.

MBA Admissions Consulting, Advice for Indian IT Applicants

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton