Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 11:30
Dear mbaMission,

Trust this post finds you well.

Need your help in evaluating my profile:

Indian, Male, Age 26, Engineering undergrad, Manufacturing sector and consulting work ex, among the top 10% in both university and professional peer group...

GMAT 610 (Q38, V36 ; 46 and 79 %ile respectively) .. I hate to say this, but this my 3rd attempt at the exam, and have been able to get only this.

Undergrad GPA - 8.1 on 10, ( that converts to 3.3 on 4 if I am right), have a PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights Law ..

Professional background:

3 years of work ex. as process engineer in automotive manufacturing.. excellent track record at company, in terms of leadership, project management, and responsibilities... handled 2 key product developments amounting to 10 million $ in budget allocations ...another key highlight includes being chosen for funded PG program among a pool of 100 engineers ( 3 were chosen) ..

Post automotive experience, shifted to a business consulting firm ... 2 years and 4 months of work ex till now.. involved as research analyst tracking the global commercial vehicle market, promotions YoY and recently given team leader role .. presently with the same firm ... key member of team building in the consulting firm, and responsible for establishing an overseas research team this year ... have completed that process and moved to other assignments now... (total work ex is 5years+) ..

Other key achievements:

. Demonstrated team building and leadership qualities --- undergrad placement representative, team lead role in the current profile..
. Profession working knowledge in German ( have completed 6 levels of professional german language from the local office of Max Mueller Bhavan, India)

Target: MIT SLOAN LGO, Tippie, Broad (SCM program), Krannert, Kenan Flager, Anderson .. I know I can't think of top 10 with the GMAT score.. but any advice there would be welcome..

All I want to know is how good are my chances at the listed schools, recommended schools for this background, and what can be ideally done (in brief) to combat the low GMAT... I will be having stellar recommendations and am concentrating on my essays already....

Please advice...

Thanks
apns
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 09:20
Expert's post
Hi Apns,

Sorry for the delayed replied. I think you have a pretty decent professional profile relative to other Indian Male IT professionals, as you've made the switch to business and have now been promoted into a team lead role. The gaps I see in your profile are your GMAT and your lack of strong extracurricular/community activities.

To combat the GMAT, you can enroll in some quant classes at a local university and try to get the equivalent of an A grade in them (statistics, accounting, finance would be good options). You can ask your recommenders to highlight your analytic capability. You could try taking the GRE and submitting that instead (for the schools that allow it). These are just some options to consider.

I think MIT Sloan is going to be a stretch, as may Anderson be, but the others look like reasonable targets. Best of luck!

Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:26
Dear Mili Mittal,

Thanks much for your response. I will definitely look into enrolling for quant classes locally, and preparing myself for the course work in advance if need be. The only doubt there is "can I mention this via my optional essay or cover letter or other parts in the application, that I am indeed taking this effort ?". Will that be a good way to go about combating the low GMAT. Please suggest.

Best,
Ananth S.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 21:34
Expert's post
Hi Ananth,

Certainly, you should address this in an optional statement and point to anything that shows you have strong analytic capability (strong grades in math courses in undergrad, quant/analytic work you do professionally, etc.). Also mention that you are enrolled in supplementary courses in an effort to demonstrate your capabilities.

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter