Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 12:49
Thank you in advance for evaluating my profile. I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions regarding school selection and what I can do between now and R1 deadlines this Fall.

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

By Fall 2014, 3 years at a top environment/energy think tank researching renewable energy financing and responsible energy/infrastructure investment. 3 publications (2nd author) so far. Significant internship experience at another top environmental NGO. All in the US.

2) Your GMAT.

750+

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

Top 2 undergraduate from China, GPA 3.3 in history, 3.6 in international affairs
Top international affairs graduate program in the US, GPA 3.5+
Have not taken classes in finance/statistics

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

extensive extracurricular activities and leadership experience in college, including students associations, business case competitions, etc.; some extracurricular activities in graduate school; not much after graduation

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

considering taking CFA 1 in December, but only applying in Round 1, worthwhile?

6) Your target programs.

would like to choose 1 from Harvard and Stanford (Harvard is more preferable due to location, but Stanford seems a better fit?)
choose 2 from Booth, Northwestern and Columbia (don't want to commit to ED at Columbia, but is regular round a waste?)
choose 1 from Georgetown and Fuqua (rushed an application to Fuqua in 2013 and got waitlisted)
Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

7) Your post-MBA goal.

would like to work in the renewable energy industry, either working for a leading corporation or in the banking sector with a energy focus

thank you!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 04:39
Expert's post
Sure thing good sir,

First of all, let me say that overall things look quite good. Very good GPA, superb GMAT, and a quite unique career all together adds up to a nice package. Whether or not it will add up to Harvard is a bit hard to say since you left your work experience and volunteer/extra a bit thin, and I can only conjecture. But you have a very solid basis.

I think you could take the CFA. I don't know that it would help you all that much in terms of applications (although if you want to take it anyhow, it certainly can't hurt). But the CFA in of itself won't provide you a massive advantage, so I'll leave that up to you.

School selection: Stanford makes more sense than HBS given your profile and your goals. 1. Stanford really likes "thinkers" 2. Stanford is a good place for energy. For Booth NW or Columbia, I don't have much to add. I'd say go with your preference in terms of fit. Georgetown and Fuqua can either be good choices, you might also want to think of McCombs. I don't know what criteria you are selecting your schools on, or how you are choosing to limit the number of schools you are applying to, so other than schools that are strong in energy or government I don't know what else I can advise (although you can I think make time to apply to both HBS and Stanford).

Finally, before you apply you will have to settle on one of your two goals, and get a bit more specific. From what you have written here, it seems like choice one makes more sense given your experience.

If you have any other questions, or would like to clarify anything you wrote, be happy to hear from you again,

Cheers,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!