Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 15:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 01:20
Hi,
I am Senior Software Engineer working in an IT firm with an experience of 3 Years.
My credentials are listed below and i need help in deciding B-schools best suited for me.

Undergraution details
XII = 80% percent (CBSE board)
X = 86% (CBSE board)

Graduation details :
College : Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of ICT
CGPA : 8.04/10 that may account to 3.3 GPA

Interest : Entrepreneurship

Personal Details & background :

I am planning to give my Gmat in August end time frame and require information about the schools which i can target with the Gmat score of 720-730.
I have not given my GMAT yet but with the score in the range of 720-730 what are the B-schools which come under my league & how much score should i target to get into good colleges in US.
I have always had an inclination towards entrepreneurship and worked on various ideas since my college.
There was proposal for IIM-Ahmedabad CIIE(Centre For Innovation, Incubation & entrepreneurship) which was very much liked by the cell but we were not been able to concretize on any thing because of the lack of experience.
Then we(group of 4) created a website based on an idea and made several field plots for the same but there has always been a missing knowledge due to which we are not able to convert an idea into an startup thats why i am planning to do my MBA to gain the knowledge to achieve my goal.

Achivements:
-> Gradution with distinction.
-> scholar badge award in school
-> Early promotion at work for my dedication & performace.
-> Flamingo Award for professional attitude at office.

Extra curricular activities:
College level badminton and T.T player.
Given several performaces in college & office on guitar
Part of fashion show in college & walked as a model for which our group one 2nd prize in Inter-college fashion show.
co-ordinator of several events in college & office(memeber of Event management group)
Worked with an NGO for 3 months in college.

Geographical preference - US,India

P.S : Let me know incase i have missed out anything and what else can i do to build my strong application as it is only based on my interest towards entrepreneurship.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wellllllll, it's always better to get a real GMAT score before getting to deep into "where might I go"....

But let's work with the assumption of a 720. I think that as an Indian/IT/Male you are in the toughest pool there can be (you know this, I suppose). Your work experience seems to be good, although you do lack some leadership which could boost your profile, and from what I see here (we have to dig a bit deeper) your extra currics/volunteer stuff is a bit on the weak side... soooo I am missing a lot of info from you (and I would invite you to fill out our questionnaire for a free evaluation: http://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/), buuut let's say that very roughly, I would say your "Sweet spot" in US schools is schools ranked about 20-50...

Hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 00:16
Thanks alot Jon.

It will be of great help if you can suggest some ways by which i can improve upon my application and what all can i do in extra-curricular to have my chances in better universities .Also will an improve Gmat score will be of any help in any way.
Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 10:05
Expert's post
Abhiyank wrote:
Thanks alot Jon.

It will be of great help if you can suggest some ways by which i can improve upon my application and what all can i do in extra-curricular to have my chances in better universities .Also will an improve Gmat score will be of any help in any way.

You are welcome!
A higher score on a GMAT is always helpful! Although schools will look at everything, and even with a theoretical 800, top schools can be tough. For your extra curriculars, if you are applying next year, then you can for sure add one "big" community service item to your profile. If you are going to apply this year, then it may be a little bit late to add new things, and you should then really just concentrate on your GMAT and then your application. Beyond that, if you can get promoted, more responsibilities, or more leadership at work, any of these would help a lot.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 22:30
Hi Jon ,
Thanks again for the awaited response
I am not in any hurry to apply for mba this year as i am just 24(age) my actual plan is to spend some time like year or 2 to build up my strong profile and apply for mba when i am actually ready to be a part of it. I have researched through internet for ways to do the same and planning for following actions.

->I have joined renouned music school as part to build my guitar skills and take it to a next level may be through that i can get opportunity to perform at places and get a chance for more exposure and substantiate my interest and passion for music.
->Also i have started to reaserch on some good NGO as i have always had inclination towards providing community service.We have a family blind children school with strength of 20 kids who are taken care as a whole but now i am thinking to be a part some good NGO which can provide me a platform for community service at a braoder level.
->I am already a part of some my own ventures.
->I am also thinking to attend all the college fest that happen during this time to get in depth knowledge of universities courses and get in touch with the alumini of the targeted college to get some inputs from them.

Other things which can be a add-on are
-> Switch my job to find some place where i can get more oppurtunities and also try to get into some brands like (Google , Amazon etc)
-> Be a part of toastmasters for developing my communication and leadership skills.

I request you to please provide your feedback on the action items i am planning to do and with these exercise will i be able to target top 15 universities. Also i am not doing this stuff just to get it on my profile rather i am thinking to build up myself suitable for mba profile and this preparation is helping to get the best out of me and i think i ll be able to connect the dots to present my profile as a complete one.

P.S. please let me know if i have missed out on anything.

Thanks
Abhiyank
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 06:16
Expert's post
Abhiyank wrote:
Hi Jon ,

->I have joined renouned music school as part to build my guitar skills and take it to a next level may be through that i can get opportunity to perform at places and get a chance for more exposure and substantiate my interest and passion for music.
->Also i have started to reaserch on some good NGO as i have always had inclination towards providing community service.We have a family blind children school with strength of 20 kids who are taken care as a whole but now i am thinking to be a part some good NGO which can provide me a platform for community service at a braoder level.
->I am already a part of some my own ventures.
->I am also thinking to attend all the college fest that happen during this time to get in depth knowledge of universities courses and get in touch with the alumini of the targeted college to get some inputs from them.

Other things which can be a add-on are
-> Switch my job to find some place where i can get more oppurtunities and also try to get into some brands like (Google , Amazon etc)
-> Be a part of toastmasters for developing my communication and leadership skills.

Hey Abhiyank,
Let's go through your ideas one by one

Guitar - although lovely, because people need to have passions, this won't help your Bschool application (it's always good to do SOMETHING though)
NGO - See what you can do. The BEST NGOs are 1. Global 2. One where you can take a leadership post 3. Ones where you deal with a lot of money.
Ventures - I don't know exactly what you have here, but if one of them can be really successful this can help a LOT. Maybe better to concentrate on one thing rather than ten!
College Fest - By all means! A VERY good idea. Won't help your application, but will help you get informed!

Job switching - if you can get a better post at a bigger company, this by all means, helps, more than anything else.
Toastmasters is a good idea - but do something else too. Too many people have toastmasters on their resume,

Hope this helps!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 00:48
Hi Jon,
Thanks alot for you response .

Just a small query: In your response you said "Toastmasters is a good idea - but do something else too" can you please suggest me what else can be done as a part to build up my profile and i can see if that interests me and can it be useful for my application in any way.
Also i see from your response that most of the things i am planning to do are not useful in B-school application so can you please suggest things which are actually value addition to my profile.

-Abhiyank
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 23:33
Expert's post
Well the thing is to think about in terms of uniqueness and impressiveness. To quote radiohead "Anyone can play guitar" :)... And likewise anyone can join toastmasters. What not everyone can do, is raise 100K for the red cross, or lead a team of 100 volunteers to rebuild a village, or.... There are a million possibilities of course, but the things that you can focus on that would be most useful are, as you might imagine not easy necessarily, not easy to find and not easy to do (otherwise everyone would have them! And that is the point!). But let's say that the most important things are 1. LEADERSHIP 2. IMPACT, in whatever you do - volunteer work, toastmasters, tutoring, extra curriculars, If you play guitar as a hobby its one thing, if you are so good that you are a famous rock star in your country it's another....

Get my drift?

It's not sooo much aout what you do, as much as HOW

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 23:46
Thanks jon for all your inputs i definetly get your point and will focus on finding stuff which interest me and can stand me apart from the lot ..
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 22:43
Expert's post
Great. Good luck. And if you have other questions along the way, I'm around...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com