Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 08:48
Hello there,

Please be kind enough to evaluate my profile:

Nationality : Indian
Pre MBA Industry : Information Technology
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
Total work ex: 60 months with an IT MNC giant. Worked across phases of software development i.e. development, Go-Live, Support. In total 13 months of international exposure (two visits to UK-3 months and 10 months). Currently leading a small team of three people in a support project.
2) Your GMAT – 730 (Q49 V41), AWA/IR Awaited
3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi). Ranked 21st in best engineering colleges in India.
B.Tech (Electronics and Communication Engineering - 2008)
CPI: 7.81 which translates into 70.7 %. US equivalent GPA should be around 3.5 (I hope)
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Nothing spectacular - Organized few cultural festival events in college. Won couple of prizes at technical fests in my/other colleges. Member of Corporate Social Responsibility team at my workplace. Co-founder of a NGO which is not so active lately.
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA. - None
6) Your target programs. - I am more inclined towards one year MBA program though even two year's program is fine as long as I can I can get some financial assistance. Kindly be open for suggestions.
Main considerations [Post Study Work permit and Scholarships as i am really short on funds] Please suggest more on this, if possible.
7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle : R1 2013-2014, R2 2013 -2014
8) Your post-MBA goal. - Strategy/Management Consulting/IT Consulting. Switching career/industry not on my priority list.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 22

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 12:14
Hi sid128 - thanks for asking for some input, we'd be glad to give our two cents.

While there are elements of your profile that are quite common compared to others - that whole "Indian IT male" stereotype - we're also seeing elements that will help you stand out. The GMAT score is obviously strong (congrats on that) and your academics look good. Your goals are standard, in that there's lots of people going for management consulting, but there's nothing wrong with that - lots of people use bschool to do that type of transition and there's plenty of hiring for those roles, particularly in the tech sector. If you intend to leverage your tech background and stay in the industry then it will serve as a bridge for you and you're likely going to be quite an appealing candidate to many consulting firms, and to the bschool adcoms as well.

The reason we're the most optimistic for you is that you're aiming for a one-year program, and those are currently slightly less competitive, on average. There's a bunch of schools in Europe that would be wide open to you to try for - we're thinking INSEAD and LBS right off the bat (LBS is longer but how long you make it is up to you). There's also the Columbia J-Term if you feel that you can make an appropriate pitch for them - not always as simple since you need to prove why you don't need an internship, and some adcom people may feel that an internship would still be valuable for you. It will depend on how you position things.

Note that "strategy consulting" is really really popular right now, seems that everyone says they want to do that, so it can be a bit harder to stand out - you don't actually want to use career goals as a way to show differentiation (that needs to come in through your background and the stories you tell in the essays etc) however if you are indeed agnostic about the type of consulting you do, you may want to focus more on the tech side, given your expertise in the area.

The main glitch that we're seeing in what you've sketched out is the financial aid part. You really can't go into this expecting to get any type of award; it's just not as common as with other types of graduate education, given the ROI that an MBA offers. Some schools are more generous but we're not instantly seeing anything in your profile thus far that shows how you would be competitive for the merit-based awards that most use. Of course, EssaySnark is not on the financial aid committee, so don't let this deter you! But you also shouldn't be expecting to get paid to go to bschool, which is sorta the premise behind that. :-) You may want to identify which schools have loan programs that don't recall a citizen co-signer; Columbia doesn't have this option so that might be a reason to skip their J-Term.

Hopefully this gives you some directional guidance. If you want to name some of the schools you're considering then we can do more in terms of feedback and reactions. Let us know how we can help!!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 12:56
Thank you for the prompt response.
I'll evaluate my options and let you know.
Re: Request for Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2013, 12:56