Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 08:19
Hi!

Iam currently working as an Asst. Systems Engineer (IT) in TCS ( Asia's Largest IT Company), Iam finding it a bit difficult to asses my current chances of getting into a good MBA school in US (Iam aiming at the top 20). I have not given the GMAT as yet but Iam planning to sit for it in early September, given my current GMAT score range on the PowerPrep (about 650) Iam hopeful of scoring a 750+.

I have been an above average student throughout my education, have always strived to give my best performance at what ever I have done. A testimony to this is my early promotion to the grade of an Asst. Systems Engineer at TCS ( less than 10% employees get it). I have participated in sports and other extra curricular activities at school and university level and have won accolades. Iam actively involved with a local trust which provides education to the Blind free of cost, I help in creating awareness amongst the people about the cause of the trust.
My current job profile is very technical, though in a short span of 1 year I am managing 2-3 people under me.

Could you suggest which areas to focus and build on my profile, Iam an Indian IT guy and have a stiff competition, what factors will make my application stand out in a plethora of applications.

Iam planning to apply this year for the class of 2008. My objective out of an MBA is to make a shift into finance as a financial consultant.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2007, 13:49
The more you can discuss leadership experiences the better.

You will have to do a good job of pulling the business implications from the technical aspects of your work. Many IT professionals only discuss the technical aspects in their essays and that doesn't go over well.

Make sure that you have some extracurricular / community service activities -- as you mentioned the competition is fierce, so you have to be able to stand out.

Make sure that you can discuss your career objectives in detail and why you want to pursue those objectives.

Similarly you have to do a good job of discussing why you want to attend a particular school and what you contribute while you are there and even perhaps after you graduate.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2007, 07:25
Hi!

Thanks for taking out time to review my profile.

As the competition is tough and the IT guys at my level have almost the same profile, could you help me out with how I can have an exceptional profile.
Will it be a good Idea to get into Process Improvement, Quality Audits, giving Trainings at my solution center to help build on my current profile.

Regards.
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2007, 15:03
Yes, providing trainings can be a good way showing leadership, but even better be prepared to convey ways in whcih you've really gone above and beyond in driving benefit for your organization.

Similarly, you really need to understand what make a good essay and recommendation. Many in your boat think they know what that means, but fail to produce in these areas.

http://www.mbagameplan.com