Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 08:27
Hello,
My profile
1) Basic demographic info:
Gender Male
Nationality : Indian

2) Educational Background & GMAT:
GMAT: 750 (Q:50,V: 40, AWA:4.0)
CGPA: 3.43/4
Electrical & Electronics Engg, 2006, From one of the premiere private Engineering College of India

3 years of experience (as on Aug 2009)
with early inclination towards Product development and Start-ups, worked with Telecom product Start-Ups (including my last semester engg internship), experienced both product and business sides of Technology Company. After 1.5 years post Engg working with Start-up, joined a leading MNC Telecom Product Co. as R&D Engineer. No specific role of Leader but have led few assignments at work with team 3-4 people.

3) Extracurriculars: Not very strong but consider competitive.
Sports (School/College level, Cricket , Lawn Tennis), Student representative of College chapter of a National Technical Institution like IEEE ( Oraganised various Seminars and guest Lectures, Initiated few student activities from Career Placement point of view). Member of LITERARY & DEBATE College Club ( Organised and Participated in various Club events).
Participated in Entrepreneurship Camp Organised by State Govt.
Won various College level Quiz competitions.
Currently member of Innovation Focus Group , at work ( Which works towards innovation and nurtures creative ideas among different product teams)

4) Short/Long term goals:
Want to major in Strategic Management and Consulting, work at international location for 5-7 years and gain experience in strategy and mangement, and start my own venture with my exp and contacts. Not interested in Finance, So specifically looking for Schools strong in Strategic management and consultancy.
Based on preliminary research i have shortlisted a few schools but would like to know your opinion on it
Long Shot: MIT Sloan, ROSS Michigan, Kellogg
Should Try: CMU Tepper, Duke, Texas-Austin: McCombs
Given my inclination towards Management and Consultancy ( Not Finance) i also tried to explorer more for Schools
UCLA Anderson, UCBerkely HAAS but could not reach to any conclusion.

As i understand in my category it is very competitive but:
1. I would be grateful if you could provide your opinion on these schools or on some other schools as per my career interest and my chances to get an admit.
2. Although informally i have been involved in various community and social services but never sought any certificates in that respect. How much is it important to show all these certificates ?
3. I am also willing to wait one more year and work on my profile from leadership, promotion, Non-Technical exp./ role ( Pre-sales/ Business Development) point of view. Please suggest how much difference each would make on my candidacy in next one year or should i go for this year & see how it goes ?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 19:46
trystwithmba,

Your school selection seems about right in terms of where you'll be competitive if you apply now. I would put both UCLA and Haas (more so) in the long shot category but don't consider either to be consulting feeder schools in that only about 20% or less of their MBAs go into consulting. Other consulting "feeder" schools to consider: Emory, Western Ontario.

Don't worry about certificates for your involvements. They aren't necessary. Just be honest and accurate about what you say you did in your involvements in case the schools check on them.

Regarding waiting a year, you could do a lot in a year to improve your profile, for example, one year of intensive leadership impact outside of work or a promotion at work between now and then could make a big difference. At the same time, there's very little downside to applying now and, if you get dinged at all your schools, reapplying next year. Depending on what you do in the next, however, you could position yourself to aim higher next fall.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 07:48
thanks for your response; i agree with your points.
- do you consider TUCK a good choice for me, it seems to be a well balanced school in terms of student placed in different streams esp consulting and management ? I understand it may be a long shot for me. But i have a few doubts about it: remote location and small size of program( just full time MBA). Can you please share your views about Tuck and my chances of gettin there.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 15:52
trystwithmba,

If you have doubts about Tuck's location and small size then it is definitely not the school for you. It's one of those schools where you really need to convince them you understand their uniqueness and feel the fit is good. I recommend demonstrating that by visiting the campus if possible. Tuck seems to be Indian-friendly. In recent years Indians have been its largest international student group: roughly 17 out of each 240 entering class.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2009, 06:37
pbodine wrote:
trystwithmba,

If you have doubts about Tuck's location and small size then it is definitely not the school for you. It's one of those schools where you really need to convince them you understand their uniqueness and feel the fit is good. I recommend demonstrating that by visiting the campus if possible. Tuck seems to be Indian-friendly. In recent years Indians have been its largest international student group: roughly 17 out of each 240 entering class.

Good luck,

Paul - I found your comment regarding Tuck and its need to be convinced of its uniqueness and fit interesting.

Among the top 10, (H/S/W, Columbia, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck, NYU, Haas, etc), which would you describe as schools similar to Tuck in the sense that one really needs to demonstrate a solid understanding of the school's uniqueness to have a good shot (as opposed to schools more heavily weighted towards the strength and merits of the individual's profile).

Thanks!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 10:06
Well, if you really want to maximize your chances of admission then you will treat all the top 10 schools (with the possible exception of HBS) as if they were Tuck: that is, schools that need you to explain the fit to them and that need you to show you understand why they're unique. But I do think that schools like Tuck, Stanford, MIT, Cornell, and Yale, among others, merit some "special pleading"--some indication from the applicant that you have really done the due diligence and understand that these are not schools for everyone.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 10:14
pbodine wrote:
Well, if you really want to maximize your chances of admission then you will treat all the top 10 schools (with the possible exception of HBS) as if they were Tuck: that is, schools that need you to explain the fit to them and that need you to show you understand why they're unique. But I do think that schools like Tuck, Stanford, MIT, Cornell, and Yale, among others, merit some "special pleading"--some indication from the applicant that you have really done the due diligence and understand that these are not schools for everyone.

Hope this helps,

This is great, thanks Paul.

Why did you single out HBS? Are they less sensitive to what you each applicant thinks of them?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Request for Profile evaluation and suggestion [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2009, 12:38
They don't ask applicants to explain why they want to attend HBS anywhere in their essay set. They don't especially care to know why you want to attend HBS because, well, HBS is HBS.

Paul Bodine /