- 38 years old/Male/Caucasian/US – work experience is commensurate with that of a 30 y.o. I did not complete my undergrad until I was 30 and Master’s at 32 due to financial situation and a major injury that kept me from walking for 2 years
- GMAT – yet to take but will not be satisfied with under 700 which mirrors practice exams
- 3.12 Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering from top 10 US school – 3.23 for last 60 credit hours including undergraduate work (Mechanical Engineering)
- 6 years to date as Aerospace Engineering consultant/contractor for NASA specializing in aircraft design, system engineering, and especially economic/operational integration modeling and simulation. I’ve had one promotion from Junior Engineer (grade 1-2) to Engineer (Grade 3-5). The focus is on alleviating air traffic congestion, pollution (emissions and noise), and airport delays for the betterment of society, community, and economy from technology development not procedural system standpoint. Mostly team based work – little management of people due to my being a contractor.
- 2.5 years of laboratory work while earning MS, lots of team and technical experience.
- 2 years (long ago) as Customer Service Rep and promoted to Administrative Assistant /Office Manager in Operations department for Financial Institution.
- Served as Awards Chairman for Aerospace Society’s Technical Committee (TC) for 5 years (active) work related
- Served as Information Chairman for same TC for 1 year (active) work related
- Served as International Powered Lift Committee Technical Chairman for 1 year (nearing end of tenure) work related
- Played for local softball team until injury (retired)
- Play bass guitar for bluegrass band for three years (active)
- Raced in one season of Formula 2000 in Canada finished 3rd overall out of 20+ participants (three-month season - retired)
- One of founding members and commissioner for 15 year-old Fantasy Sports league. Organizer for yearly meeting for 10+ members held in March of each year as well as weekly online/phone discussions, etc. (active)
- There is more but most are long in the past or only short-term obligations (Treasurer of fraternity (1990), volunteered with organizing fundraising (1992), organized and helped run team building and charity events (1994-5), etc)
- MBA to continue work on next-generation commercial aircraft but as civil servant (NASA) from programmatic and business development standpoint
- Reputable UK school since many of engineering/technical development partners are from Europe and this is a global problem that the program addresses – may eventually like to work for them in the long term if this project progresses as planned
Schools - these are the only ones that interest me
- Oxford – Social Entrepreneurship, my interpretation is that is fits – R2
- Possibly Cambridge but not as excited about them – their high-tech specialty could be relatable to my goals – R2
- Warwick – Distance option only – general management – I’ll apply after other 2
- Am I unique enough and sufficient overall profile to have a good chance at Oxbridge?
- Am I too old/will they try to force the EMBA at me? I do not have sufficient managerial exp for that anyway.
Thanks for your help,
Have you considered Cranfield? It focuses on transportation and infrastructure, as does RSM in Rotterdam, which I realize is not UK.
Yes you have a competitive profile for Cambridge and Oxford. I don't know if they will try to steer you to an EMBA. It's possible.
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog