Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 13:10
Alex, I would appreciate a candid evaluation of my profile.

General Info:
- 25/male/east indian origin/canadian citizen. applying for 2011 Fall
- GMAT 690 per OG diagnostic. working to get it to ~720
- UG: Chemical Engineer from Univ of Waterloo in Canada (top program in country). GPA - 80% (not sure how to convert)

Work experience:
- By Fall 2011, would be 4 years working for a chemical company. promoted once in the 2 years Ive been there. Several applauses and leadership projects undertaken. Mentored/hired interns.

- I'm also working on a start-up outside of my day job above that I co-founded and am the chief exec of for the past 1.5 years. We have $30K in revenues and are working on expanding the business with funds from day job. 2 of us co-founders plus several consultants/contractors that I work with. Lots of leadership learnt/shown. Also have another company president and one other company ceo as mentors.

UG experience:
- Interned at pharma, oil and nuclear companies for a total of 2 years during UG for 4 months at a time
- Co-founded a company with 2 others and an engineering prof. Sought funding. Entered biz plan competition and was one of the top 5 finalists
- Recreational sports

Other ECs
- Member of city's environmental committee
- Board member of a Young Professional Organization in town

Passion - Start-ups, entrepreneurship

Reason to apply - I live in a small town in Canada. Very difficult to build a team, lack of enough smart people, resources. Want to go to a biz school to meet like-minded/smart ppl to start company with and also learn more about biz

Recommendations: Can get one from our mentor who is president of his company, one from my supervisor at day job and a couple from colleagues/co-founder

Schools:
HBS, Stanford, Booth, Mccombs (Asutin)

Questions:

- Do I have a shot in any of the schools above?
- My main reason to go to B-school is so I could start a company in a start-up hub like california, boston, chicago, austin where there are plenty of resources/capital, smart ppl/team building opportunities. Should I just try to get a job in those cities instead? i.e. will I meet ppl in my mba program that would want to start companies/take risks?

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [1] , given: 0

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 23:37
This post received
KUDOS
You'll have to readjust your expectations (a familiar refrain here on the GMAT Club thread here... but again, this discussion board isn't fully representative of the b-school applicant pool - if it were, you'd see a lot more Ivy types working at Goldman, Morgan Stanley, McKinsey, BCG, Bain, PE funds, etc. here).

HBS and Stanford are long shots. You seem like a good guy, but a bit too middle-of-the-road for them. Their bread-and-butter with Canadians tends to be blue chip kids who went from McGill/Queen's/US Ivy straight to banking/consulting, and/or rich kids from prominent Canadian families (who tend to have blue chip resumes anyhow). I know that might suck to hear that since Waterloo is a strong engineering program, but the b-school adcoms know as well as the Canadians do that while the smart math kids go to Waterloo, the rich/connected kids (or those who aspire to be) go to McGill and Queen's (and not necessarily even UofT, because the kids from Rosedale/Lawrence Park and the other exclusive neighborhoods can afford to send their kids away for school rather than commute to UofT).

Booth is a stretch. If you really want to go here, choose this as your dream school.

Where your sweet spot likely will be is in the Duke/Darden/Michigan/Haas/NYU/UCLA/Yale/Cornell range. Those are the range of schools you should be targeting (choose 4-5 from this list). And then maybe choosing 1-2 schools (Ivey/Rotman/Queen's) as backups.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 06:47
Are you from Toronto Alex? Always assumed you were born and raised in the US :)
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 09:33
I lived there in the summers when I was in college.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Request for Profile Evaluation- into entrepreneurship   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2010, 09:33